Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell initialization files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell initialization files Post 302107852 by Perderabo on Wednesday 21st of February 2007 07:02:51 AM
Old 02-21-2007
There is typically a "at login" script which is executed only by a login shell. A login shell will have a name starting with a hyphen. Then shells may have a secondary startup file that is executed by every shell (the login shell and any subshells) where stuff like aliases may be defined. For each file, there is a version in /etc which is systemwide and may be all you need. After the verion in /etc runs, the shell runs the version in $HOME. This gives the user a chance to override and systemwide settings.

bash needs to be able to emulate the bourne shell so it checks the bourne shell's files as well.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Struct Initialization

Hi We are using a code generator for initializing structures with the #define macro. Compiling it with the GCC 2.8.1 (with -ansi) it OK. But when we are using the SUN C 5.0 compiler it screams. Following is a code sample: #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> typedef struct TEST3 {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amatsaka
4 Replies

2. AIX

Initialization & Startup Files

Hi Every Body, I want to know which files are read by the system during startup (initialization files) & in which order they are read? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
2 Replies

3. Programming

Char initialization

Hi All, char a="\0"; a) a contains \0 a contains garbage value b) a contains \ a contains 0 a contains garbage value Pls, let me know correct result is a or b. I guess a. Thanks, Naga:cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
2 Replies

4. Programming

Class Pointer initialization C++

Hello everyone, I have a question, that are the following ways of pointer intialization same ? ClassA *point; point = 0; point = new ClassA; Thanks a load in advance!! Regards, (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mind@work
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Declaring variables without initialization

I get an error in my shell script that line 1: )unexpected. Line 1 in my script (using sh by the way) is the variable I declared but did not initialize it. result= Is this wrong? How can I fix it? I am using the variable later in the program, so I figured I could just declare it first... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Initialization error

new to shell scripting. below line is showing error in script. ${parameter:=word} in the o/p first it shows the below error. word: not found. and then in next line print "word" ---------------- p2: word: not found. word --------------------------- OS is AIX and shell is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

openmpi - initialization failed

Hi everybody, my problem is the following: I'm trying to run an openmpi program on a cluster (atlasz.elte.hu, it's in hungarian, but you can try google translate), but I always got this error: Fatal error in MPI_Init: Other MPI error, error stack: MPIR_Init_thread(394)...........:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkobori
0 Replies

8. Programming

C- static initialization of structures

Situation: I have an array of structures: struct my_struct_type { char tags_sn; char group_c; char is_err_c; }; struct my_struct_type stuff = { "abcd", 'A', 'E', "efgh", 'B', 'E', "ijkl", 'C', 'E' NULL, '\0', '\0' ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: garysk
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable initialization

Hallo Team, I have a simple request and i would appreciate your help. I would like to use two dates in my script lets: A=$(date +"%d %B %Y") echo $A 23 June 2014 That's awesome now we cooking. Now i want B to be on the previous month eg: echo $B Should give me 23 May 2014 I would... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error occurred during initialization of VM

Hi , I was invoking a sh file using the nohup command. But while invoking, I received a below error. Error occurred during initialization of VM Unable to load native library: /u01/libjava.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory . Could you please help out. Regards,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamal1108
2 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). User Commands 06/24/2011 CHSH(1)