Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers can't understand this at all. Post 302107591 by severndigital on Monday 19th of February 2007 10:10:53 AM
Old 02-19-2007
can't understand this at all.

Ok, i've been trying to write some shell scripts. nothing challenging, but just automating

All of the tutorials i read say to start the file with

#!/bin/bash

or whatever your path to bash is.

So i do it, and all of my scripts error out saying ./nameofscript:command not found

when i remove the line completely the script seems to run ok. Why??

I understand the easy answer is to say "so just leave the line out" but I really would like to understand why it's happening.

thanks,
chris

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't understand

how i can download this game n start it :S (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BoyArcher
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't quite understand this regex

The following regular expression is found in a book I have been reading. It apparently can be used on an /etc/passwd file to find any accounts which have no password. I am having a heck of a time seeing how it works, and I was wondering if someone could run me through it. I will take a stab at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kermit
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Understand PATH

I'm new to unix so sorry for the confusing question. I installed OPENSSL following these instructions. Installing OpenSSH Packages - SPARC and Intel/Solaris 8 I need to run this command, "openssl req -newkey rsa:1024 -keyout server.pf.key -out req.pem" from a keyreq folder I created. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kjons76
13 Replies

4. Programming

Trying to understand kernel

Hi all, I'm a user and a programmer of UNIX based systems (mainly FreeBSD and Linux). I have never programmed or tried to fully understand the kernel layer. I haven't a special propouse for learning it, but I'd like to. Can anyone suggest me books, documentation or examples that may help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help can't understand the code

Hi All, Good day, i'm just wondering what is the meaning of this code? COUNT_EXTRACTED_FILE=`${ECHO_CMD} "${SE_IN_PATH}${SE_IN_FILE}" | ${AWK_CMD} -F"__" '{print $2}'` Thanks, -niks(newbie) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't understand!

Hi All, can you please help me to figured out what's the meaning of this. ${SERVER_DATABASE} -b << EOF 2>>/dev/null THanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to understand IFS

Hi , i am in my initial learning phase of unix. i was going thru the function part. below is the example which was there but i am not able to understand logic and the use of IFS(internal field separator) lspath() { OLDIFS="$IFS" IFS=: for DIR in $PATH ; do echo $DIR ; done IFS="$OLDIFS"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

understand sed

cat teledir.txt jai sharma 25853670 chanchal singhvi 9831545629 anil aggarwal 9830263298 shyam saksena 23217847 lalit chowdury 26688726 If i use the below command , it is giving me the output with "," in between two name. how ? and also i would like to know the reason for the space used in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
1 Replies
SERVICE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						SERVICE(8)

NAME
service -- control (start/stop/etc.) or list system services SYNOPSIS
service -e service -R service [-v] -l | -r service [-v] <rc.d script> start|stop|etc. DESCRIPTION
The service command is an easy interface to the rc.d system. Its primary purpose is to start and stop services provided by the rc.d scripts. When used for this purpose it will set the same restricted environment that is in use at boot time (see below). It can also be used to list the scripts using various criteria. The options are as follows: -e List services that are enabled. The list of scripts to check is compiled using rcorder(8) the same way that it is done in rc(8), then that list of scripts is checked for an "rcvar" assignment. If present the script is checked to see if it is enabled. -R Restart all enabled local services. -l List all files in /etc/rc.d and the local startup directories. As described in rc.conf(5) this is usually /usr/local/etc/rc.d. All files will be listed whether they are an actual rc.d script or not. -r Generate the rcorder(8) as in -e above, but list all of the files, not just what is enabled. -v Be slightly more verbose ENVIRONMENT
When used to run rc.d scripts the service command sets HOME to / and PATH to /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin which is how they are set in /etc/rc at boot time. EXIT STATUS
The service utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following are examples of typical usage of the service command: service named status service -rv The following programmable completion entry can be use in bash(1) for the names of the rc.d scripts: _service () { local cur cur=${COMP_WORDS[COMP_CWORD]} COMPREPLY=( $( compgen -W '$( service -l )' -- $cur ) ) return 0 } complete -F _service service SEE ALSO
bash(1) (ports/shells/bash), rc.conf(5), rc(8), rcorder(8) HISTORY
The service utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Douglas Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
December 11, 2012 BSD