Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting populate variable from remote result Post 302107532 by hcclnoodles on Monday 19th of February 2007 04:23:09 AM
Old 02-19-2007
populate variable from remote result

Hi there

i am trying to pass the result of a remote command into a variable into my script

ie
Code:
#!/bin/sh

var = `ssh remote_box 'uname'`
echo $var

but all i get back is

Code:
./script.sh[3]: var:  not found

However when i add a -x to put it into diag mode i get the following

Code:
+ ssh remote_server uname
+ var = SunOS
./script[3]: var:  not found
+ echo

so it looks like the variable var is actually being populated but i cant echo it

does anybody know what im doing wrong here?

Cheers
Gary

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to get a result of a cmd into variable?

Hi , I am trying following . I need to get a result of an autosys cmd into a unix variable. The autosys cmd is autostatus -G jpm_day_today Please help me in storing the value returned by this cmd into a unix variable. Appreciate your time to read this post. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manchau
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

running command remotely to populate local variable

If I run this # ssh remote-server 'du -sk /usr/platform/`uname -i`/' 174 /usr/platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-V245 I get my output just fine, However, if i try to do the same but populate a local variable within my script called for example 'result' #!/bin/ksh result=`ssh remote-server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign result to variable

Hi friends, firstly, i can run following expression and i took 100 value. sqlplus -s username/password@TTTEST @umt.sql umt.sql exists "select t.deger from parametre t where t.id=30". result of this query =100 i need to assign this value(100) to variable(for example x... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: temhem
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP populate variable with function

Hi, I've a php scirpt that calls in an external class. The external class, myClass, has several public and private functions. There is one public function which derives a value that I want be able to bring it to the main php scirpt. Here is the code. ....snip.... include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

populate a bash variable from an awk operation

Hi, I'm trying to populate bash script variable, data_size with the size of the largest file in my current directory data_size=$(ls -lS | grep -v "total" | head -1) | awk '{ print $5 }' I've tried adding an echo before the call to awk data_size=$(ls -l | grep -v "total" | head -1) |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark_s_g
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

result in variable

Hi all, I'll try to get a result from a search with "awk" into a variable. It works for those examples: findfirstline=`awk 'BEGIN{ mycount = 1 } { if(mycount == 1 && /^Video/){ row=NR; print row; mycount = 0; }}' ${i}` findlastline=`awk '/^Video/ {row=NR} END{print row}' ${i}` But it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine two variable result?

Hi, i have two variables i.e lck_ckm_customer=ckm_customer and(present in some script A) table=ckm_customer(present in script B) in script B i am executing this part if ; then --- ---- ---- fi Now, while comparing in my log file i am getting this result if but i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Result of 'cut' into variable

Hello, I would like to have a result of a cut-command in a variable. The file "t.dat" has the following content: Company 001.239879123.OB1X.672W12.STS UNOLD.001.02 My bash-script: Header="" Header=$(cut -c1-160 t.dat | head -1) echo $Header ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: API
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store remote variable from remote cat file ??

I am trying to cat on a file located on remote server and assign it to remote variable. I have both local and remote variables. Running below script from local. test.sh J_NAME=XXX2 J_IP=XXX ssh $J_IP "ps auxw |grep java | grep -v grep |grep $J_NAME | awk '{print ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store result variable

Friends have the following problem: cat $PATH_DAT/mr.txt | nawk 'BEGIN { CantPnt=0; NumReg=0; FS="|" } { NumReg++ CantPnt=CantPnt+int($2) } END{ printf... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
5 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)