Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: basic cat replace string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting basic cat replace string Post 302107522 by zazzybob on Sunday 18th of February 2007 11:57:08 PM
Old 02-19-2007
Erm.... grep Smilie

Code:
 grep '[^s]$' hosts

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable= 'cat file|wc -l' String problems

Hi, does anybody knows about wc -l, how to transform it inot a just number? this script ALWAYS executes the command3!!, However, the value of BMU_RUNNING is 1 case $BMU_RUNNING in *0) command1 ;; *1) command 2;; *)command 3;; esac The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santiago
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic sed replace question

Hello, I have a .htaccess file as follows... No I want to comment the last line ( in this case.. it may not be a last line for other cases).. please advise how to add a # (comment infront of "Options All -Indexes" not assuming this line to be the last line using sed. root@server1 # cat... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

got a basic doubt on cat-file permissions

Hi all, Today I was just fooling around with directories and faced this. I create a directory 'testdir' and create a file 'myfile' inside it. gandalf@gondor:~$ mkdir testdir gandalf@gondor:~$ cd testdir gandalf@gondor:~/testdir$ touch myfile Then I set the following permissions for the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have a basic 'for i in cat list' - Trying to get i to be set to a name with a space

Hi Have a file called ldap.list: ****** "o=unix forum" o=groups ****** i wrote a basic script that runs: for i in `cat ldap.list` do ldapsearch -h host -p 389 -b $i THE PROBLEM: - It looks like when the for i in cat ldap.list runs, it doesn't seem to care about the " ", it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlefrog
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

The best way to skin a cat OR how do I get file system info on the most basic level?

Hi, We have an FTP server (vsftpd) running on Linux, that I've kinda built a "Data Management" system around. I could use some ideas as to the best way to handle/create "triggers" for file notifications. Internal users drag 'n drop files from their Windows boxes to the server via Samba... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace number of string length from search and replace for a serialized array

Hello, I really would appreciate some help with a bash script for some string manipulation on an SQL dump: I'd like to be able to rename "sites/WHATEVER/files" to "sites/SOMETHINGELSE/files" within the sql dump. This is quite easy with sed: sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otrotipo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace cat huge_multiplefiles |sort |uniq -c

Does any one know any command runs faster than this to give duplicate numbers cat file1 file2 ....file 100 | sort |uniq -c thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace cat and grep with <

Hello someone told me to use OS=`awk '{print int($3)}' < /etc/redhat-release` instead of OS=cat /etc/redhat-release | `awk '{print int($3)}'` any idea for the reason ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to append a string by cat and redirect to other file?

Hi, when I do cat for kernel parameters cat /proc/sys/kernel/sem >> /etc/sysctl.conf 4096 4096 32 128 The above command working with out any doubt but I want to pass it like below, need to append "kernel.sem =" and pass it to /etc/sysctl.conf kernel.sem = 4096... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)