Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: basic cat replace string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting basic cat replace string Post 302107383 by prkfriryce on Friday 16th of February 2007 10:20:21 AM
Old 02-16-2007
basic cat replace string

trying to exclude hostnames ending in "s" from a host file:

Code:
# cat hosts
ssef
ssefd
ssefsfff
ssefsfs
# for x in `cat hosts`; do echo "${x/*s}" ;done
ef
efd
fff

#

How can I echo/or not echo only 'ssefsfs' ??

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable= 'cat file|wc -l' String problems

Hi, does anybody knows about wc -l, how to transform it inot a just number? this script ALWAYS executes the command3!!, However, the value of BMU_RUNNING is 1 case $BMU_RUNNING in *0) command1 ;; *1) command 2;; *)command 3;; esac The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santiago
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic sed replace question

Hello, I have a .htaccess file as follows... No I want to comment the last line ( in this case.. it may not be a last line for other cases).. please advise how to add a # (comment infront of "Options All -Indexes" not assuming this line to be the last line using sed. root@server1 # cat... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

got a basic doubt on cat-file permissions

Hi all, Today I was just fooling around with directories and faced this. I create a directory 'testdir' and create a file 'myfile' inside it. gandalf@gondor:~$ mkdir testdir gandalf@gondor:~$ cd testdir gandalf@gondor:~/testdir$ touch myfile Then I set the following permissions for the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have a basic 'for i in cat list' - Trying to get i to be set to a name with a space

Hi Have a file called ldap.list: ****** "o=unix forum" o=groups ****** i wrote a basic script that runs: for i in `cat ldap.list` do ldapsearch -h host -p 389 -b $i THE PROBLEM: - It looks like when the for i in cat ldap.list runs, it doesn't seem to care about the " ", it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlefrog
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

The best way to skin a cat OR how do I get file system info on the most basic level?

Hi, We have an FTP server (vsftpd) running on Linux, that I've kinda built a "Data Management" system around. I could use some ideas as to the best way to handle/create "triggers" for file notifications. Internal users drag 'n drop files from their Windows boxes to the server via Samba... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace number of string length from search and replace for a serialized array

Hello, I really would appreciate some help with a bash script for some string manipulation on an SQL dump: I'd like to be able to rename "sites/WHATEVER/files" to "sites/SOMETHINGELSE/files" within the sql dump. This is quite easy with sed: sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otrotipo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace cat huge_multiplefiles |sort |uniq -c

Does any one know any command runs faster than this to give duplicate numbers cat file1 file2 ....file 100 | sort |uniq -c thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace cat and grep with <

Hello someone told me to use OS=`awk '{print int($3)}' < /etc/redhat-release` instead of OS=cat /etc/redhat-release | `awk '{print int($3)}'` any idea for the reason ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to append a string by cat and redirect to other file?

Hi, when I do cat for kernel parameters cat /proc/sys/kernel/sem >> /etc/sysctl.conf 4096 4096 32 128 The above command working with out any doubt but I want to pass it like below, need to append "kernel.sem =" and pass it to /etc/sysctl.conf kernel.sem = 4096... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
2 Replies
SSH2_METHODS_NEGOTIATED(3)						 1						SSH2_METHODS_NEGOTIATED(3)

ssh2_methods_negotiated - Return list of negotiated methods

SYNOPSIS
array ssh2_methods_negotiated (resource $session) DESCRIPTION
Returns list of negotiated methods. PARAMETERS
o $session - An SSH connection link identifier, obtained from a call to ssh2_connect(3). RETURN VALUES
EXAMPLES
Example #1 Determining what methods were negotiated <?php $connection = ssh2_connect('shell.example.com', 22); $methods = ssh2_methods_negotiated($connection); echo "Encryption keys were negotiated using: {$methods['kex']} "; echo "Server identified using an {$methods['hostkey']} with "; echo "fingerprint: " . ssh2_fingerprint($connection) . " "; echo "Client to Server packets will use methods: "; echo " Crypt: {$methods['client_to_server']['crypt']} "; echo " Comp: {$methods['client_to_server']['comp']} "; echo " MAC: {$methods['client_to_server']['mac']} "; echo "Server to Client packets will use methods: "; echo " Crypt: {$methods['server_to_client']['crypt']} "; echo " Comp: {$methods['server_to_client']['comp']} "; echo " MAC: {$methods['server_to_client']['mac']} "; ?> SEE ALSO
ssh2_connect(3). PHP Documentation Group SSH2_METHODS_NEGOTIATED(3)