Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users deleting files after the creation of a tar archive Post 302106887 by moshe fried on Tuesday 13th of February 2007 05:26:08 AM
Old 02-13-2007
for those without gnu tar

save file list in variable or file.
FILES=$(find ...)
or
find ... > /tmp/$(USER).flist.$$
then you can remove the files after the tar, without running find twice, (which might be a heavy process or) its state may change between the first and second iteration, causing you to actually lose data.

For example: if you run the command close to midnight. the first +5 will find files just older than 5 days and the second running after midnite will add files a day older. and even if you use it in the middle of the day, the timestamp of files can cause a miss the same way.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting files automatically, the condition in the month of creation

Hi all, I'm newby in this great forum. I'm working as an Intelligent Networks Administrator for a Fixed telephony company. I want to write a script shell that helps me in my daily/weekly tasks. A voice switch sends every hour a statistic file to a log directory. By now, i've got more than 5000... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FabioALex
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive with .Z files

Hello, I have a tar archive full of compressed .Z (compressed with the compress command) files. I have restored the tar to a disk but am looking for a way to uncompress every file in every sub-directory. Under normal circumstances, I would just change directories and "uncompress *" but with 1600... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kun2112
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive with including specific patern files

Hi, I need to create recursive tar archive, while I put there only files of type a*.txt. Without file filtering the command is: tar cfzf test.tar.gz test_tar/ How I include the switch for including only files with pattern a*.txt ? Thanks a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john.gelburg
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting the files comparing the creation dates

Hi Gurus, I am new to unix. I have a requirement where i need to delete some files in a folder twice a week. Suppose i have a folder AAA. In that i have files from 01/04/2008 to 10/04/2008 I want to remove all the files except last 3 days i.e., 10,9th & 8th. Every week twice we want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of compressed files in a tar.gz archive

Hi Folks, I have a tar.gz compressed file with me, and I want to know the number of files in the archive without uncompressing it. Please let me know how I can achieve it. Regards RK Veluvali (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrk1219
5 Replies

6. Linux

tar archive

I have made tar archive of my system.. How can I make that tar archive to be bootable.. simply to install new linux from the archived tar file.. thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove files from tar archive which are more than 1000 days old.

I am not able to extract/remove files older than 1000 days from a tar archive in linux system. #!/usr/bin/perl @file_list = `find /home/x/tmp/ -name *xxMsg* -ctime +7`; $file_name = '/home/x/tmp/new_archive.tar'; for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DannyV
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with number of files in a tar archive

I cant seem to work out how to count the number of executable files in a particular tar archive? Only in a directory as a whole. I also cant work out how to count number of certain file types in a tar archive. Only the directory, pretty stuck :( (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Razor147
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 luupgrade flash archive file system creation failed

Hey guys, I'm attempting to migrate us to a new box. First problem I had was the change in architecture going from sun4u to sun4v, we have a Sun M5000 and are moving to a Fujitsu M10-4. I figured out how to make the flash archive work between architectures. Now I appear to be running into an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaledragule
2 Replies
FAXCRON(8C)															       FAXCRON(8C)

NAME
faxcron - HylaFAX routine maintenance script SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxcron [ -n ] [ -l lastrun ] DESCRIPTION
faxcron is a command script that does routine upkeep tasks in a HylaFAX spooling directory hierarchy. This script is intended to be invoked from cron(8C) on behalf of the fax user (often the ``fax'' user is uucp) once a day, with the standard output sent by mail to the HylaFAX administrator. For example, the following crontab might be set up for the fax user: 25 23 * * * sh /usr/sbin/faxcron | mail FaxMaster The faxcron script does the following work: o report statistics for facsimile transmitted since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile transmitted in the past week. o report statistics for facsimile received since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile received in the past week. o report any recent calls that failed suspiciously and return the associated trace log; o purge data that is 30 days or older from the remote machine information directory; o delete information that is 30 days or older from session trace log files; o remove files from the tmp directory that are older than 1 day; o remove files in the received facsimile queue that are 7 days or older; o report sites that are currently having jobs rejected; and o force all session log files to be owned by the fax user and kept with protection mode 644. OPTIONS
-n Forces faxcron to run without updating any files. -l lastrun Forces the notion of the last time that faxcron was run to be lastrun. The value of lastrun is a date and time string of the form ``MM/DD/YY HH:MM'' (the date(1) format string ``%D %H:%M''). -info n Set the expiration time for data in the info database to be n days. -log n Set the expiration time for session log data to be n days. -rcv n Set the expiration time for files in the received facsimile queue to be n days. -tmp n Set the expiration time for files in the tmp directory to be n days. -mode m Set the file protection mode for session logs to m (a command line argument to chmod(1)). NOTES
This script requires nawk(1) or gawk(1) and a date(1) program that supports the ``+format'' option. If session logs are to be kept private this script must be modified to filter out sensitive information such as calling card numbers. (It should also be run with ``-mode 0600'' so that session log files are not publicly readable.) FILES
/var/spool/fax spooling area /var/spool/fax/etc/lastrun timestamp of last run /usr/sbin/xferfaxstats for generating transmit statistics /usr/sbin/recvstats for generating receive statistics /var/spool/fax/tmp/faxcronXXXX temporary file for truncating session logs /var/spool/fax/tmp/faxlogXXXX temporary file for logs of failed calls SEE ALSO
cron(8C), faxq(8C), faxgetty(8C), faxsend(8C), xferfaxstats(8C), recvstats(8C), hylafax-server(5F) May 12, 1996 FAXCRON(8C)