Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users deleting files after the creation of a tar archive Post 302106741 by tayyabq8 on Monday 12th of February 2007 09:21:28 AM
Old 02-12-2007
Good, but It'll work with GNU tar only

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting files automatically, the condition in the month of creation

Hi all, I'm newby in this great forum. I'm working as an Intelligent Networks Administrator for a Fixed telephony company. I want to write a script shell that helps me in my daily/weekly tasks. A voice switch sends every hour a statistic file to a log directory. By now, i've got more than 5000... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FabioALex
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive with .Z files

Hello, I have a tar archive full of compressed .Z (compressed with the compress command) files. I have restored the tar to a disk but am looking for a way to uncompress every file in every sub-directory. Under normal circumstances, I would just change directories and "uncompress *" but with 1600... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kun2112
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive with including specific patern files

Hi, I need to create recursive tar archive, while I put there only files of type a*.txt. Without file filtering the command is: tar cfzf test.tar.gz test_tar/ How I include the switch for including only files with pattern a*.txt ? Thanks a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john.gelburg
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting the files comparing the creation dates

Hi Gurus, I am new to unix. I have a requirement where i need to delete some files in a folder twice a week. Suppose i have a folder AAA. In that i have files from 01/04/2008 to 10/04/2008 I want to remove all the files except last 3 days i.e., 10,9th & 8th. Every week twice we want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of compressed files in a tar.gz archive

Hi Folks, I have a tar.gz compressed file with me, and I want to know the number of files in the archive without uncompressing it. Please let me know how I can achieve it. Regards RK Veluvali (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrk1219
5 Replies

6. Linux

tar archive

I have made tar archive of my system.. How can I make that tar archive to be bootable.. simply to install new linux from the archived tar file.. thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove files from tar archive which are more than 1000 days old.

I am not able to extract/remove files older than 1000 days from a tar archive in linux system. #!/usr/bin/perl @file_list = `find /home/x/tmp/ -name *xxMsg* -ctime +7`; $file_name = '/home/x/tmp/new_archive.tar'; for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DannyV
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with number of files in a tar archive

I cant seem to work out how to count the number of executable files in a particular tar archive? Only in a directory as a whole. I also cant work out how to count number of certain file types in a tar archive. Only the directory, pretty stuck :( (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Razor147
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 luupgrade flash archive file system creation failed

Hey guys, I'm attempting to migrate us to a new box. First problem I had was the change in architecture going from sun4u to sun4v, we have a Sun M5000 and are moving to a Fujitsu M10-4. I figured out how to make the flash archive work between architectures. Now I appear to be running into an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaledragule
2 Replies
th_get_pathname(3)						  C Library Calls						th_get_pathname(3)

NAME
th_get_pathname, th_get_uid, th_get_gid, th_get_mode, th_get_crc, th_get_size, th_get_mtime, th_get_devmajor, th_get_devminor, th_get_linkname - extract individual fields of a tar header TH_ISREG, TH_ISLNK, TH_ISSYM, TH_ISCHR, TH_ISBLK, TH_ISDIR, TH_ISFIFO - determine what kind of file a tar header refers to TH_ISLONGNAME, TH_ISLONGLINK - determine whether the GNU extensions are in use SYNOPSIS
#include <libtar.h> char *th_get_linkname(TAR *t); char *th_get_pathname(TAR *t); mode_t th_get_mode(TAR *t); uid_t th_get_uid(TAR *t); gid_t th_get_gid(TAR *t); int th_get_crc(TAR *t); off_t th_get_size(TAR *t); time_t th_get_mtime(TAR *t); major_t th_get_devmajor(TAR *t); minor_t th_get_devminor(TAR *t); int TH_ISREG(TAR *t); int TH_ISLNK(TAR *t); int TH_ISSYM(TAR *t); int TH_ISCHR(TAR *t); int TH_ISBLK(TAR *t); int TH_ISDIR(TAR *t); int TH_ISFIFO(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGNAME(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGLINK(TAR *t); VERSION
This man page documents version 1.2 of libtar. DESCRIPTION
The th_get_*() functions extract individual fields from the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_IS*() macros are used to evaluate what kind of file is pointed to by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_ISLONGNAME() and TH_ISLONGLINK() macros evaluate whether or not the GNU extensions are used by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. This is only relevant if the TAR_GNU option was used when tar_open() was called. SEE ALSO
tar_open(3) University of Illinois Jan 2001 th_get_pathname(3)