Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with removing characters like ^M Post 302106576 by kermit on Friday 9th of February 2007 08:50:49 PM
Old 02-09-2007
Too weird

This is just kind of weird. I was going to ask about this very thing when I came to the board, and the question is up on top.

I was wondering about using sed to do the trick. I am running Linux with GNU sed version 4.1.5. Anyway, I had a file which was peppered with ^M characters. I tried this:

Code:
sed -i 's/^M/\n/g' some_prog

But it did not seem to do the trick. What did I do wrong?

edit::

Ah - I just tried doing <CTRL-V> <CTRL-M> and it worked. So thanks sb008..

So my next question is about the <CTRL-V> <CTRL-M> sequence. Why is <CTRL-V> necessary? What is happening when it is used?

Last edited by kermit; 02-09-2007 at 10:19 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing certain characters in a file

Hi I have a file that has semicolons in it (;) is there a way to just remove these in the file. Example name: Joe Smith; group: Group1; name: Mary White; group: Group2; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombcan
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Removing ^D and ^H characters

Hi, I have a very huge file and it contains some unprintable characters like ^H and ^D. If I try to remove using cat test1.ser| tr -d '\136 110'>newfile1 it is only removing ^and all spaces in the file. How can I remove these characters (^D ^H) and keep my spaces as it is? Thanks &... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arsheshadri
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing characters

Hi all, Any help on how to do the following? :eek: I have an infile as follows: _thisishowyouwritehelloworld _thisisalsohowyouwritehelloworld2 I want to delete the characters from "_" to "how" and be left with: youwritehelloworld youwritehelloworld2 I am able to do delete from a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_sabz
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing ^M characters

hi I have a perl script conv.pl. when i execute this file and direct i to log file I see lots of ^M characters in the log file. There is no ^M in conv.pl file. Log file is generated only after conv.pl is executed. Please help as how to get rid of these. This conv.pl is going to get schduled... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing ^M characters

hi I have a perl script conv.pl. when i execute this file and direct i to log file I see lots of ^M characters in the log file. There is no ^M in conv.pl file. Log file is generated only after conv.pl is executed. Please help as how to get rid of these. This conv.pl is going to get schduled... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special characters

Dear Friends, I want to remove text between two patters. Problem is, it has random special characters like \ / | * ` ~ ! $ etc. These random special characters has no fixed length. But these special characters are appearing between a fixed pattern e.g. DM&^%#|#!\/?CT Expected output... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing non printable characters

Hi, in a file, i have records as below: 123|62|absnb|267629 123|267|28728|uiuip 123|567|26761|2676 i want to remove the non printable characters after the end of each record. I guess there are certain charcters but not visible. i don't know what character that is exactly. I used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing trailing characters

I have been given a shell script that I need to amend. To do the following extract the filename from the flag file by removing the .flag extension. # Local variables # Find if the flag files exists MASK=coda_mil2*.flag # Are there any files? bookmark="40" fileFound=0 ls -1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andymay
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last and first characters in a file

bash-3.00$ cat temp.txt ./a/REA01/ces1/apps/ces_ces1_init3_aa.ear/ces.war/WEB-INF/classes/reds/common/environment.properties ./a/REA01/ces1/apps/ces_ces1_init3_aa.ear/commonproperties/hi/HostIntegration.properties... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing all characters up to initial '{'

Hi there, Im having a bit of difficulty with this one and I suspect its because of the character I want to match against maybe causing me a problem, but i wanted to remove everything up to (but not including) the first instance of '{' in a string so for example the string that I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies
dos2unix(1)							   User Commands						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - convert text file from DOS format to ISO format SYNOPSIS
dos2unix [-ascii] [-iso] [-7] [-437 | -850 | -860 | -863 | -865] originalfile convertedfile DESCRIPTION
The dos2unix utility converts characters in the DOS extended character set to the corresponding ISO standard characters. This command can be invoked from either DOS or SunOS. However, the filenames must conform to the conventions of the environment in which the command is invoked. If the original file and the converted file are the same, dos2unix will rewrite the original file after converting it. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -ascii Removes extra carriage returns and converts end of file characters in DOS format text files to conform to SunOS require- ments. -iso This is the default. It converts characters in the DOS extended character set to the corresponding ISO standard charac- ters. -7 Converts 8 bit DOS graphics characters to 7 bit space characters so that SunOS can read the file. On non-i386 systems, dos2unix will attempt to obtain the keyboard type to determine which code page to use. Otherwise, the default is US. The user may override the code page with one of the following options: -437 Use US code page -850 Use multilingual code page -860 Use Portuguese code page -863 Use French Canadian code page -865 Use Danish code page OPERANDS
The following operands are required: originalfile The original file in DOS format that is being converted to ISO format. convertedfile The new file in ISO format that has been converted from the original DOS file format. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1), ls(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
File filename not found, or no read permission The input file you specified does not exist, or you do not have read permission. Check with the SunOS command, ls -l (see ls(1)). Bad output filename filename, or no write permission The output file you specified is either invalid, or you do not have write permission for that file or the directory that contains it. Check also that the drive or diskette is not write-protected. Error while writing to temporary file An error occurred while converting your file, possibly because there is not enough space on the current drive. Check the amount of space on the current drive using the DIR command. Also be certain that the default diskette or drive is write-enabled (not write-pro- tected). Notice that when this error occurs, the original file remains intact. Translated temporary file name = filename. Could not rename temporary file to filename. The program could not perform the final step in converting your file. Your converted file is stored under the name indicated on the second line of this message. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 2000 dos2unix(1)