Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Repeating variables in the code Post 302106382 by mahalakshmi on Thursday 8th of February 2007 05:41:45 AM
Old 02-08-2007
Repeating variables in the code

Hi all,
I had written 3 KSH scripts for different functionalities. In all these 3 files there are some 30 variables in common. So I want to reduce the code by placing these variables in a common properties file named (dataload.prop/dataload.parms/dataload.txt) or txt file and access it in the 3 programs from one program.

Please do tell me how to call that properties file from a ksh program.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Omit repeating lines

Can someone help me with the following 2 objectives? 1) The following command is just an example. It gets a list of all print jobs. From there I am trying to extract the printer name. It works with the following command: lpstat -W "completed" -o | awk -F- '{ print $1}' Problem is, I want... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheCrunge
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeating commands in a script

I have written a script that I want to be repeated. The script that I wrote outputs the date, how many people are on the system, how many people logged in before me, and how many people logged in after me. Than what I want it to do is after it outputs the 4 lines I want it to go back to the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dave2874
4 Replies

3. Programming

including shell env variables into C code

Hey, I'm brushing up on C code and I'm trying to incorporate the shell environmental variables into standard ansi C code. For example I just want to do the equivalent of --echo $PATH-- and implement that in standard ansi C code. How would I do that? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdsffl
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Value repeating problem in columns

Hi, I have a file like this 0817 0201364 1 866 . . . . . . . 574 . 100.0 100.0 5529737 1 TV 0817 0201364 2 1440 . . . . . . . . . . . 5529737 1 TV 0817 0201364 6 1323 . . . . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandeep_Malik
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeating Substitution Command on VI

Hello Folks, how to write a command on vi that allow to repeat last substitution command? Here what I want to do : 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 :.,+2s/\n/ /And I obtain : 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeating loop between dates

Hi , I need to execute set of commands between two parameterized dates. Suppose, If parameter1 is Feb1st-2010 and parameter2 is November15th-2010. I need to execute a set of commands within these dates . can any one help me to build a loop so that it should execute for 28days in February... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
4 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

repeating test several times

echo "Enter Number of times u want this to be run" read RUN for i in {1..$RUN} do echo "i am going to market" done now the issue is that when i run this script it ask me "Enter Number of times u want this to be run" and then i put the value ,say i put 10, but when the script runs it gives... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bharat8007
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

auto-generating assembly code by variables found by script

Hi everybody I'm working on a list of registers(flip-flops to be exact), now i need to extract some value from this list and use them as arguments to pass them to some assembly code for example i have: 118 chain79 MASTER (FF-LE) FFFF 1975829 /TCK F FD1TQHVTT1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with repeating variables in a shell script

I should preface this by saying I have never worked with shell scripts before so this is all new to me. I was able to make something that worked, but is terribly optimized, and I have no idea how to improve it. If anything it's a pretty hilarious script: #/bin/bash get_char() { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricco19
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding variables to repeating strings

Hello, I want to add a letter to the end of a string if it repeats in a column. so if I have a file like this: DOG001 DOG0023 DOG004 DOG001 DOG0023 DOG001 the output should look like this: DOG001-a DOG0023-a DOG004 DOG001-b (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: verse123
15 Replies
DEVSCRIPTS.CONF(5)						File Formats Manual						DEVSCRIPTS.CONF(5)

NAME
devscripts.conf - configuration file for the devscripts package DESCRIPTION
The devscripts package provides a collection of scripts which may be of use to Debian developers and others wishing to build Debian pack- ages. Many of these have options which can be configured on a system-wide and per-user basis. Every script in the devscripts package which makes use of values from these configuration files describes the specific settings recognised in its own manpage. (For a list of the scripts, either see /usr/share/doc/devscripts/README.gz or look at the output of dpkg -L devscripts | grep /usr/bin.) The two configuration files are /etc/devscripts.conf for system-wide defaults and ~/.devscripts for per-user settings. They are written with bash(1) syntax, but should only have comments and simple variable assignments in them; they are both sourced (if present) by many of the devscripts scripts. Variables corresponding to simple switches should have one of the values yes and no; any other setting is regarded as equivalent to the default setting. All variable names are written in uppercase, and begin with the script name. Package-wide variables begin with "DEVSCRIPTS", and are listed below, as well as in the relevant manpages. For a list of all of the available options variables, along with their default settings, see the example configuration file /usr/share/doc/devscripts/devscripts.conf.ex. This is copied to /etc/devscripts.conf when the devscripts package is first installed. Information about configuration options introduced in newer versions of the package will be appended to /etc/devscripts.conf when the pack- age is upgraded. Every script which reads the configuration files can be forced to ignore them by using --no-conf as the first command-line option. PACKAGE-WIDE VARIABLES The currently recognised package-wide variables are: DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_LEVEL, DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_REGEX These variables control scripts which change directory to find a debian/changelog file or suchlike, and some other miscellaneous cases. In order to prevent unwanted, even possibly dangerous, behaviour, these variables control when actions will be performed. The scripts which currently make use of these variables are: debc, debchange/dch, debclean, debi, debrelease, debuild and uscan, but this list may change with time (and I may not remember to update this manpage). Please see the manpages of individual scripts for details of the specific behaviour for each script. SEE ALSO
devscripts(1) and /usr/share/doc/devscripts/README.gz. AUTHOR
This manpage was written for the devscripts package by the package maintainer Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DEVSCRIPTS.CONF(5)