Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers reading a line into a variable in unix Post 302106238 by lmadhuri on Wednesday 7th of February 2007 08:56:59 AM
Old 02-07-2007
reading a line into a variable in unix

hi...

i need to open a file and read it line by line, and capture that it in to some variable and manipulate...
i need to get a line in to a variable

please help Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading line by line a variable

Hello, I have a variable Diskfree and I would like to read it line by line to extract information, I don't know how to get the line Diskfree=`df -h | grep dev` I want to make a loop to get each value of this line, but I don't know how to get the line. I've seen sample with standard... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pppswing
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading the whole line from a file into a variable

Hi, I am doing : while read line do printf "%s\n" ${line} done <datafile.txt but I am not getting each single line from the data file assigned to the variable line (but only tokens/fields at a time). I also tried while IFS= read -r lineI want the whole line assigned or read into the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shri_nath
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading line by line from unix script

Hi I am a complete newbie in unix. Learning the ropes. I have a task where I have to write a shell script to read a file line by line. I have tried some code from the net like. The file data looks like this. FIN427;2010003;2010003 FIN475;2010001;2010003 FIN476;2010001;2010003... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chamajid
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing file, reading each line to variable, evaluating date/time stamp of each line

So, the beginning of my script will cat & grep a file with the output directed to a new file. The data I have in this file needs to be parsed, read and evaluated. Basically, I need to identify the latest date/time stamp and then calculate whether or not it is within 15 minutes of the current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hynesward
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading line1 with line2 and line 2 with line 3 in unix

Hi, I have a requirement where i have to read a file line by line and see if the string(fixed postion 10 to 15 in the file) in line 2 is greater than string in line 1. I have used following code while read LINE1 do current_inv_no=$(echo "$LINE1" | cut -c 10-15) read... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chethanbg2010
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in reading line value into variable

I have a file which has data in 8 lines: 10 34 6 1 4 46 67 31 I am trying to read each value into each different variable so that I use these variables in preparing my report. Another option is to dynamically print each line values in the report like below: users with privA:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarat949
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

EXPECT: Assign variable by reading a line of text from a file

Hi All, I have been using a program on windows called AutoKey. My environment at work is Linux and I have been experimenting with expect. Very powerful. I can move my AutoKey scripts to Linux using Expect once I am educated on how to read from a file using Expect. My application would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quemalr
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading of variable in a single line command

Hi All, Below is a sample command that I can run without any problem in the command line. Command Line dtToday=`date +%Y%m%d`; ls -ltr ./filename_${dtToday}.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 monuser oinstall 0 Jan 18 11:02 ./filename_20130118.txt But once I put that command line in file (list.txt) and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: padi
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading text file, comparing a value in a line, and placing only part of the line in a variable?

I need some help. I would like to read in a text file. Take a variable such as ROW-D-01, compare it to what's in one line in the text file such as PROD/VM/ROW-D-01 and only input PROD/VM into a variable without the /ROW-D-01. Is this possible? any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xChristopher
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Help for reading line

Hi there, I am trying to read the content such that if there is 'adsmsext.dll', it will read everything from line one until it reads line 6 with 'C:' then it will terminate at line 5. 1. C:\WINDOWS\system32\adsmsext.dll NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:R 2. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
5 Replies
gets(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   gets(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
gets - Read a line from a channel SYNOPSIS
gets channelId ?varName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command reads the next line from channelId, returns everything in the line up to (but not including) the end-of-line character(s), and discards the end-of-line character(s). ChannelId must be an identifier for an open channel such as the Tcl standard input channel (stdin), the return value from an invocation of open or socket, or the result of a channel creation command provided by a Tcl extension. The channel must have been opened for input. If varName is omitted the line is returned as the result of the command. If varName is specified then the line is placed in the variable by that name and the return value is a count of the number of characters returned. If end of file occurs while scanning for an end of line, the command returns whatever input is available up to the end of file. If chan- nelId is in nonblocking mode and there is not a full line of input available, the command returns an empty string and does not consume any input. If varName is specified and an empty string is returned in varName because of end-of-file or because of insufficient data in non- blocking mode, then the return count is -1. Note that if varName is not specified then the end-of-file and no-full-line-available cases can produce the same results as if there were an input line consisting only of the end-of-line character(s). The eof and fblocked commands can be used to distinguish these three cases. EXAMPLE
This example reads a file one line at a time and prints it out with the current line number attached to the start of each line. set chan [open "some.file.txt"] set lineNumber 0 while {[gets $chan line] >= 0} { puts "[incr lineNumber]: $line" } close $chan SEE ALSO
file(n), eof(n), fblocked(n), Tcl_StandardChannels(3) KEYWORDS
blocking, channel, end of file, end of line, line, nonblocking, read Tcl 7.5 gets(n)