Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: creating a file with a list
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers creating a file with a list Post 302105975 by hinman on Monday 5th of February 2007 08:18:09 PM
Old 02-05-2007
creating a file with a list

I would like to create a text file that contains the list (names of files and dirs) of a particular directory...

any ideas ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

creating a mailng list for mailx

I'm trying recall how to set up a script to have mailx read a mailing list of people to recieve a message. I had set up the script to have every name inside but the list could grow and/or change. can any one help? I'm using HPUX 11 on a rp7410. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfmurphy_6
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating User Accounts from a list in file

I have a file that contains a list of names. I need a loop that creates user accounts to all the names in the list where username = names in file password = username Another question: how can i validate that a particular var is of 6 characters length I need an if statement that will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laila Saif
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating menu list from configuration file

Hi folks, I have the following function ,which generates menu for installation type: select_install_type() { echo echo ======================================== echo Please select the type of installation: echo ======================================== ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls > file - Creating file containing the list of all files present in a directory

Hi All, I need to create a file which contains the list of all the files present in that directory. e.g., ls /export/home/user/*.dat > list_file.dat but what i am getting is: $ ls /export/home/user/*.dat > list_file.dat /export/home/user/*.dat: No such file or directory But I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pranavagarwal
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a range out of a broken list

Hi all, I am trying to create a file which has one or more ranges based on a file containing a long list. The problem is that the file which has this list is not continuous and is broken in many places. I will try to illustrate by an example: The List File: 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 11 12... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a list of files in directory?

Hi All, I would like to do a loop on all the files with extension .out in my directory this files should be sorted alphabetically. Then I need to assign to each of them a progressive ID of three digits (maybe in HEX format?). First I tried to list manually the files as ARRAY=( A-001.out ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating columns from a list

I have a list below, how can I have things separated nicely in columns mv browseDir.tcsh browseDir.csh mv checkSRDist.tcsh checkSRDist.csh mv create-data-tinv.tcsh create-data-tinv.csh mv createDocs.tcsh createDocs.csh mv createMisfit.tcsh createMisfit.csh mv createModel.tcsh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a column based list from a string list

I have a string containing fields separated by space Example set sr="Fred Ted Joe Peter Paul Jean Chris Tim Tex" and want to display it in a column format, for example to a maximum of a window of 100 characters And hopefully display some thing like Fred Ted Joe ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a two column list of date pairs form a single column list

Hi all, looking for some help here. I'm what you'd call a dirty programmer. my shell scripts might be ugly, but they (usually) function... Say I have a single column text file with a list of dates (yyyymmdd) that represent the elevation of a point on that date (I work with land subsidence, so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrandt1979
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating list

how do i create a list of every process running on my system and place it into a file lets say p1.txt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: richiestank
1 Replies
UPDATEDB(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UPDATEDB(1)

NAME
updatedb - update the slocate database SYNOPSIS
updatedb [-u] [-U path] [-e path1,path2,...] [-f fstype1,...] [-l [01] ] [-q] [-v,--verbose] [-V, --version] [-h, --help] pattern... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents slocate, a security-enhanced version of locate. updatedb is simply a link to slocate that implies the -u option. OPTIONS
-u Create slocate database starting at the root directory. This is the default behavior when called as updatedb. -U path Create slocate database starting at path path. -e dirs Exclude directories in the comma-separated list dirs from the slocate database. -f fstypes Exclude file systems in the comma-separated list dirs from the slocate database. -l <num> Security level. -l 0 turns security checks off, which will make searches faster. -l 1 turns security checks on. This is the default. -q Quiet mode; error messages are suppressed. -v Verbose mode; display files indexed when creating database --help Print a summary of the options to slocate and exit. --version Print the version number of slocate and exit. CONFIGURATION FILE
Secure Locate's updatedb will automatically parse GNU Locate's /etc/updatedb.conf. But please be aware that Secure Locate currently does NOT support all options provided by GNU Locate's configuration file. Options currently supported by Secure Locate are PRUNEFS and PRUNEPATHS SEE ALSO
slocate(1) UPDATEDB(1)