Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux linux setup and addition config Post 302105872 by sysgate on Monday 5th of February 2007 09:43:56 AM
Old 02-05-2007
The answers may vary depending on what you will do on this box.
What you have installed is a good set for a start, here is my example :
One of the machines that I'm working with recently was in need of TCl/TK/Expect/python, so I had to install them.
I would add java if this is going to be a developer's machine; consider installing rootkit hunter, if the machine will be available in DMZ.

Last edited by sysgate; 02-05-2007 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: typos......

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

How to config router on Linux

I m new to Linux, It is connected with internet on simple telephone line, now I m trying to connect it thru dedicated line and with a router. pl help me what i hv to done in s/w as well as h/w. Pl consider me a new user so detailed answer is required. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaheerkhan
4 Replies

2. IP Networking

Need Help In Internet Config. In Linux

I just installed linux7.0 in a remote machine-no networking-nothing-I installed it as a Workstation without any networking information. I am trying to configure the internet but cannot do it. I have a cable internet at home.Acc.to the book it said log in as a root and choose... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushmabedi
3 Replies

3. SuSE

Setup Problem with SUSE Linux

I setup SUSE Linux 10. I downloaded from SUSE website. A DVD version. But I have a problem: Please click to see the screen shots Shot 1: (Problem is here, with Software) http://www.vernoos.net/shot-1.jpg Shot 2: http://www.vernoos.net/shot-2.jpg Shot 3:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HASSELBLAD
1 Replies

4. Linux

How to setup ports on Linux

If Linux have a file like AIX: rc.tcpip to setup port services? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Setup a printer on Linux from scratch

I am a beginner in Unix. I have redhat linux running in a dell work station. my question is how can I setup a printer using the command line so that I can use the command lp filename to print, how can I define the printer name? my printer is HP laserjet connected to network (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: docaia
2 Replies

6. Linux

Wireless setup/configuration on Linux

hi all, :) Please let mew know some useful link that has some information about wireless set-up and configuration for Linux FC-8 on laptop. -regards Ashvin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashvin Gaur
2 Replies

7. Linux

Help with linux config on bootcd

I fixed it =) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayDogg
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail Setup on Linux

Hi Guys, I need to send mail from linux to my outlook email id. mailx command is not working. I guess, some configuration is required. Don't know what exactly needs to be done. Please help. Thanks, Vikas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikanna
1 Replies

9. AIX

New IBM Power8 (S822) and StorWiz V3700 SAN, best practices for production setup/config?

Hello, Got a IBM Power8 box (S822) that I am configuring for replacement of our existing IBM machine. Wanted to touch base with the expert community here to ensure I don't miss anything critical in my setup/config of AIX. Did a fresh AIX 7.1 install on the internal scsi hdisk, mirror'ed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
3 Replies
NGLISTER(1)							  NGLister Manual						       NGLISTER(1)

NAME
NGLister - Tool to download newsgroup information from news servers SYNOPSIS
nglister [ -u username ] [ -p password ] [ -P port ] hostname filename nglister -h | --help DESCRIPTION
NGLister is a tool to download information about groups and other information available on an NNTP (Usenet news) server. It is designed to be fast and simple; just specify the server and the information you want, and NGLister will send it to standard output. You can write the information to a file by appending: > filename to the end of your command-line. INSTALLATION
To install NGLister, you will need a current version of Python <URL:http://www.python.org/>. NGLister requires only one other piece of software: Optik. You can find it at <URL:http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/optik/Optik-1.3.tar.gz>. To install, run this command as root: python setup.py install OPTIONS
-u username Specifies the user name to use for logging into the server. Use this only if your server requires authentication. -p password Specifies the password to use for logging into the server. Use this only if your server requires a password. -P port Specifies the numeric port to use when connecting. Most servers listen on port 119, the default NNTP port, so that value is used by the default. This option will only be needed rarely. hostname Specifies the name of the NNTP server. filename Specifies the name of the data to retrieve from the remote NNTP server. Most people will use active or newsgroups here. The set of files supported varies from one server to the next. Please note that this parameter does not denote an output filename or even a real filename; just the type of information you want from the server. Here is a list of commonly-supported information types. Additional items are specified in RFC2980 <URL:http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2980.txt> with the LIST command. o active lists all newsgroups and describes their numbering. o newsgroups lists the newsgroup descriptions. Note that most servers do not carry descriptions for all groups, and the groups that lack a description will not be listed here at all. o active.times describes how recently each newsgroup has seen activity. o motd shows the server's "Message Of The Day" -- that is, current news about the server. -h --help Displays brief usage help. CONFORMING TO
o Network News Transport Protocol as specified in RFC 977 o Common NNTP Extensions as specified in RFC 2980 o Standard Python 2.2.1 as implemented on POSIX-compliant systems. COPYRIGHT
NGLister and this manual, are Copyright (C) 2003 John Goerzen. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA AUTHOR
NGLister its libraries, documentation, and all included files, was written by John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> and copyright is held as stated in the COPYRIGHT section. NGLister may be downloaded from the Subversion repository <URL:http://svn.complete.org/> or from the Debian package page <URL:http://pack- ages.debian.org/unstable/news/nglister.html>. SEE ALSO
slrn(1), python(1) John Goerzen 12 February 2003 NGLISTER(1)