Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep to handle a 0 result
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep to handle a 0 result Post 302105860 by ocelot on Monday 5th of February 2007 09:17:38 AM
Old 02-05-2007
grep to handle a 0 result

Hi guys,

I have the following grep command in a script to search through a file for a string and return its count, and it works fine for when the string exists:

grep "string" file.txt | wc

However, sometimes the result will be 0 and I want the script to take this as the result. Right now it is just dumping out with a "child process exited abnormally"

How can I get around this so that if the result is 0 then the script doesnt dump out and takes the result as 0?

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To have a numeric result from grep

I am new to unix. i need to know how to use grep to grep and expression from a file. and pass the result as a 0 for found and 1 for not found. I can only go up to grep 'Checking Subscription Status' ranos.log. Please help. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hak Dee
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How ro handle backslash character in grep?

Hi , I am doing invert grep using -v but the string contain "/" which break the grep command and it do not skip the lines with "/" on it. Diffu.txt ======== 1159c1159 < <td align="right" valign="middle" class="paddingRight2px" id="featureListItemChannelButton7466"> --- > <td... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajbal
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to handle backslash in grep string

Hi , I am doing invert grep using -v but the string contain "/" which break the grep command and it do not skip the lines with "/" on it. Diffu.txt ======== 1159c1159 < <td align="right" valign="middle" class="paddingRight2px" id="featureListItemChannelButton7466"> --- > <td... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajbal
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to negate grep result?

Here is my script so far: set dirs = ` find . -name "message.jar" 2> /dev/null | cut -d "/" -f 2 ` | uniq foreach dir ( $dirs ) if (grep $dir/* someText==null) --> how do I write this in script? print $dir end end (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmdawg
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep alternative to handle large numbers of files

I am looking for a file with 'MCR0000000716214' in it. I tried the following command: grep MCR0000000716214 * The problem is that the folder I am searching in has over 87000 files and I am getting the following: bash: /bin/grep: Arg list too long Is there any command I can use that can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: runnerpaul
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe result from grep

Trying to create a command line script to look for all files matching a pattern, grep for a specific value in each file, and write out the filename long list. It's possible the filename won't containe the value. { echo “Running....” for fname in 811_Intermediate_File_* do grep -l... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavineq
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep, expecting 1 result, getting more

Hi Please take a look below, I'm grepping for /app/oracle and would like explicitly that result and not /app/oracle/admin as well. # cat /tmp/fs.list /app/oracle /app/oracle/admin # cat /tmp/fs.list | grep -w "/app/oracle" /app/oracle /app/oracle/admin (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s1ckle
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle Numerical result out of range?

i have this code: a=hello999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 b=`echo ${a} | tr -d ''` if ; then echo "Zero" fi but when I execute this I am having this error: Numerical result out of range Anyone know how to handle this? Thanks!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash - CLI - grep - Passing result to grep through pipe

Hello. I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name are exactly 2 characters long and not more than 2 characters and begin with "nv" lsmod | (e)grep '^nv???????????? I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name begin with "nv" and are 2 to 7 characters long ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep result from dd command

Hi, I am running following command in a bash script for testing IO and use grep to get throughput number, but it did not work, it displayed everything: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=1G count=1 oflag=dsync | grep bytes | awk '{print $7}' 1+0 records in 1+0 records out 536870912 bytes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
2 Replies
TEXTDUMP(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 					       TEXTDUMP(4)

NAME
textdump -- textdump kernel dumping facility SYNOPSIS
options KDB options DDB DESCRIPTION
The textdump facility allows the capture of kernel debugging information to disk in a human-readable rather than the machine-readable form normally used with kernel memory dumps and minidumps. This representation, while less complete in that it does not capture full kernel state, can provide debugging information in a more compact, portable, and persistent form than a traditional dump. By combining textdump with other ddb(4) facilities, such as scripting and output capture, detailed bug information can be captured in a fully automated manner. FORMAT
textdump data is stored in a dump partition in the same style as a regular memory dump, and will be automatically extracted by savecore(8) if present on boot. textdump files are stored in the tar(5) format, and consist of one or more text files, each storing a particular type of debugging output. The following parts may be present: ddb.txt Captured ddb(4) output, if the capture facility has been used. May be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_ddb sysctl. config.txt Kernel configuration, if has been compiled into the kernel. May be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_config sysctl. msgbuf.txt Kernel message buffer, including recent console output if the capture facility has been used. May be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_msgbuf sysctl. panic.txt Kernel panic string, if the kernel panicked before the dump was generated. May be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_panic sysctl. version.txt Kernel version string. My be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_version sysctl. Kernel textdumps may be extracted using tar(1). CONFIGURATION
The textdump facility is enabled as part of the kernel debugger using options KDB and options DDB. By default, kernel dumps generated on panic or via explicit requests for a dump will be regular memory dumps; however, by using the textdump set command in ddb(4), or by setting the debug.ddb.textdump.pending sysctl to 1 using sysctl(8), it is possible to request that the next dump be a textdump. If at the ddb(4) command line, the commands textdump set, textdump status, and textdump unset may be used to set, query, and clear the textdump pending flag. As with regular kernel dumps, a dump partition must be automatically or manually configured using dumpon(8). EXAMPLES
In the following example, the script kdb.enter.panic will run when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a panic, enable output cap- ture, dump several useful pieces of debugging information, and then invoke panic in order to force a kernel dump to be written out followed by a reboot: script kdb.enter.panic=textdump set; capture on; show allpcpu; bt; ps; alltrace; show alllock; call doadump; reset In the following example, the script kdb.enter.witness will run when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a witness violation, printing lock-related information for the user: script kdb.enter.witness=show locks These scripts may also be configured using the ddb(8) utility. SEE ALSO
tar(1), ddb(4), tar(5), ddb(8), dumpon(8), savecore(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The textdump facility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
The textdump facility was created by Robert N. M. Watson. BSD
December 24, 2008 BSD