Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: old server crashed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers old server crashed Post 302105248 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 31st of January 2007 02:08:44 PM
Old 01-31-2007
smit is just a system mgt interface, but backup creates proprietary (not tar) files as far as I know. In order to restore them, you'd have to get another AIX shop to read the tapes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Gollum got crashed

Gollum got crashed, needs Administrator's attention. Check this: https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?p=302093676 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
0 Replies

2. AIX

AIX Crashed..

My AIX 5.3 Machine Carshed Can any one tell some way to find out what went wrong.. I mean debug why it got creahed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
3 Replies

3. SuSE

suse 9 crashed

Hi, Running SLES 9 (update 4) on dell's poweredge 1950 server. Kernel: 2.6.5-7.315-smp #1 SMP Wed Nov 26 13:03:18 UTC 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux Yesterday night my monitoring service emailed me system(ssh/smtp) unreachable...I tried connection through ssh, it did not let me through... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
0 Replies

4. Linux

system getting crashed

Hello, Iam a running a apache webserver in CentOS and i get a heavy traffic about 2.5 lac pageviews daily and my db size is about 2GB. Now the problem is after serving some lacs of requests by apache....Both apache and mysql hangouts and the system gets hanged up...using all resources in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheeraj4uuu
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Disk crashed

My system is SUN Solaris 5.6 and one of the disks on the server got crashed. Here are the details d23: Mirror Submirror 0: d24 State: Okay Submirror 1: d25 State: Okay Pass: 1 Read option: roundrobin (default) Write option: parallel (default) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
1 Replies

6. Linux

Find out process that crashed the server

Hi everybody, I want to find out all the processes that ran before a server crashed. Is that possible? I've looked in /var/log/messages and found out that the system was out of memory. A user probably wrote a script (in Perl or Python) that used up all available memory and crashed the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
11 Replies

7. Red Hat

What do you do right after a server crashed.

What do you check???? Thanks! JC (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
0 Replies

8. Solaris

System got crashed.

Hi Admins, In my local Vmware system i have installed solaris but while getting my root disk mirrored in svm I changed the vfstab entries and rebooted the server , the server got crashed, and now the root file systems and other filesystems are crashed. Please help me in recovering this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laxxi
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

DNS server crashed

If Freebsd DNS server that served 100 people is crashed. How to move this 100 people to a new FreeBSD DNS server as quickly as possible? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AIX_30
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 server crashed two times

Hi, I have two Solaris 10 servers. First server crashed last week (Monday) and second one crashed over the weekend. I have checked the logs such as /var/adm/messages, syslog and dmesg. So for I found none. My management wants to know why the server crashed. I need to come with some kind of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies
SAVECORE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       SAVECORE(8)

NAME
savecore - save a core dump of the operating system SYNOPSIS
savecore dirname [ system ] DESCRIPTION
Savecore is meant to be called at the end of the /etc/rc file. Its function is to save the core dump of the system (if one was made) and to write a reboot message in the shutdown log. It saves the core image in the file dirname/core.n and its corresponding namelist in dirname/unix.n. The second argument is the namelist for the system which made the core image; the current system is always assumed to be /unix. The trailing ".n" in the pathnames is replaced by a number which grows every time savecore is run in that directory. Before savecore writes out a core image, it reads a number from the file dirname/minfree. If there are fewer free blocks on the file sys- tem which contains dirname than the number obtained from the minfree file, the core dump is not done. If the minfree file does not exist, savecore always writes out the core file (assuming that a core dump was taken). Savecore also writes a reboot message in the shut down log. If the system crashed as a result of a panic, savecore records the panic string in the shut down log too. If savecore detects that the system time is wrong because of a crash (the time in the core image is after the current time), it will reset the system time to its best estimate of the time, which is the time in the core image plus the elapsed time since the reboot. It announces the time that it set when this occurs. FILES
/usr/adm/shutdownlogshutdown log /unix current UNIX BUGS
The method used to determine whether a dump is present, and to prevent the same core image from being saved multiple times, is not elegant. This information should be passed to init by the system; however, this is difficult because the system may have to be rebooted a second time if the root filesystem is patched. 3rd Berkeley Distribution SAVECORE(8)