Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: arithmetic in ksh
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting arithmetic in ksh Post 302105073 by d.f. on Tuesday 30th of January 2007 01:11:43 PM
Old 01-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu23
Code:
$x=4
[...snip...]

$echo $(( x / y ))

[...snip...]

Isn't this the "preferred" way of doing arithmetic in ksh and bash? I recall reading that it doesn't spawn a new shell like expr and bc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic In UNIX

I am a beginner and I have been searching the web all morning for this answer but can't find it anywhere. I know that prtint 1*2 will return 1*2 what if i actually want the problem to be calculated so i want print 1*2 to return 2 How is this done? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tygun
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with arithmetic operation

I am using egrep to extract numbers from a file and storing them as variables in a script. But I am not able to do any arithmetic operations on the variables using "expr" because it stores them as char and not integers. Here is my code and the error I get. Any help will be appreciated. #!/bin/sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emjayshaikh
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange ksh arithmetic

Hello, I would like to understand this... I'm using ksh and doing (( z = y - 1 )) if y=34, then the result for z is 33, but if y=034 the result is z=27. Why?? Thanks (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: fbg
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh-script "arithmetic syntax error" comparing strings

Hi all, I´ve already searched the forum but can´t find what i am doing wrong. I am trying to compare two variables using ksh under red hat. The error I get is: -ksh: .: MDA=`md5sum /tmp/ftp_dir_after_transfer | cut -d' ' -f1 ` MDB=`md5sum /tmp/ftp_dir_before_transfer | cut -d' ' -f1 `... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: old_mike
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic: how to??

Hello all, I'd like to know how to perform arithmetic on multiple files. I have got many tab-delimited files. Each file contains about 2000 rows and 2000 columns. What I want to do is to to sum the values in each row & column in every file. The following explains what I want to do; ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Rahiz
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic operations in bash,ksh,sh

Guys, The below expression is valid in which shells (sh,ksh,bash,csh)? VAR1=2 VAR2=$(($VAR1 -2)) Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rprajendran
1 Replies

7. Programming

Pointer Arithmetic In C

I have a fundamental question on C pointer arithmetry.. Suppose i have a c string pointer already pointing to a valid location, Can I just do a charptr = charptr +1; to get to the next location, irregardless if my program is 32 or 64 bits? or should i do it this way: charptr =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Leion
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Arithmetic syntax error while comparing decimal numbers

Hello, I am having a problem when i execute following script on RHEL 6.4. Same script works fine on another machine where I have same version of RHEL and KSH. Below is the rpm and RHEL version. ossvm12(0)> rpm -qa | grep ksh ksh-20100621-19.el6.x86_64 ossvm12(0)> cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adithya Gokhale
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with date arithmetic please

Hello fellow forum members, I wrote below piece of code to calculate the date after a given date - date=$DATE_FINAL declare -a max_month=(0 31 28 31 30 31 30 31 31 30 31 30 31) eval $(echo $date|sed 's!\(....\)\(..\)\(..\)!year=\1;month=\2;day=\3!') (( year4=year%4 )) (( year100=year%100... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic with bash

I need to divide the number of white spaces by total number of characters in a file using bash. I am able to get the number of white spaces correctly using: tr -cd “”¯ < afile | wc -c I am also able to get the total number of characters using: wc -c afile How do I divide the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
2 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)