Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Reboot of Unix servers - recommended? Post 302104557 by reborg on Thursday 25th of January 2007 04:20:53 PM
Old 01-25-2007
We try to go with ~90 days. We take patch updates once per quarter ( unless a critical issue arises ) and reboot as part of the procedure.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reboot the Unix work station

Hi I'd like to know if to reboot a work station I need the root permission. If not what is the procedure ( commands or steps ) to reboot a work station. Cheers Mohsen (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohsen
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any recommended book on Unix & Shell Programming

Any recommended book on Unix & Shell Programming (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: endeavour1985
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix recommended reading

Hello I was wondering if anyone had a Unix book recommendation. Just one book, that can give me a good foundation in Unix and has plenty of hands on exercises to follow along with on my Unix terminal? Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vedder191
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

best or recommended unix os for new user

hello, I want to learn more on unix, and being use to windows (VERY SAD i know) i want to learn more, but which unix is recommended for a new user to become novice to advance? also what is a great website to look into to gain more knowledge of unix, i have the commands pretty good in my head,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siten0308
0 Replies

5. AIX

"Out of Memory" after reboot for only Tuxedo DB servers on AIX 5.3

Hello all, I am working on an AIX 5.3L machine. I am currently trying to work on getting all of my Tuxedo servers booted for my app. However, some of these servers also use the Oracle 10g R2 client to connect to the 10g2 DB. AT FIRST, everything was working fine. Anyway, one night all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swvahokie
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shutdown and reboot unix server

Hi, please could someone advise the best command to shutdown and then for it to reboot back online again. Note: I shall be doing this from a telent session. regards venhart (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
3 Replies

7. Solaris

how to Implicitly execute some unix commands during/after Solaris reboot

I have to execute 2 commands everytime i reboot my Solaris machine. Simple "share" and "chown" commands. Is there anywhere (maybe a config file or something) where I can include these commands so that I do not have to manually run them everytime I reboot the machine? Any help appreciated... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lydiaEd
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop monitoring of servers at the time of reboot through shell scripting?

We have number of servers which belongs to platforms Solaris, AIX,HP-UX and LINUX. Monitoring tool 'Patrol Agent' process run on the servers to check for the server health and communicate with the Patrol server through the port 5181. During scheduled reboot and maintenance of servers we do receive... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subharai
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recommended book to learn about unix administration?

My knowledge is weak in understanding NIS servers, setting up user accounts, mounting network file systems, clearing stale NFS handles, those sorts of things that I encounter but my IT server team handles. Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject? Something to demystify mount points,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srhadden
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Unexpected error on reboot in UNIX

Hi all, My remote unix machine failed unexpectly, and I am unable to login to it. Here is what I can see on the screen - > Boot device: .... File and args: -i > Boot load failed. > The file just loaded does not appear to be executable. > {1} ok How can I fix this problem? Has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhakti.gandhi
1 Replies
SHAPE_PATCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SHAPE_PATCH(1)

NAME
shape_patch - shapeTools RMS generate patch file SYNOPSIS
shape patch OLDRELEASE=<name1> NEWRELEASE=<name2> [PATCHFILE=<filename>] DESCRIPTION
Shape patch generates a patch file for updating $(OLDRELEASE) to $(NEWRELEASE). Both releases are identified by release names associated with the macros OLD-/NEWRELEASE on the command line. Valid release names are those generated by any of the shape_RMS (pre-)release building procedures (see shape_releas(1)). Performing 'vl -all' with the release identification file as argument usually gives a good overview of existing release names. Patch generation happens recursively over all subsystems being part of the current node. Hence, triggering shape patch from the top node of the central source repository creates a patch file for the whole system. The output of shape patch is stored in a file named <name1>+2+<name2>.pat. When the PATCHFILE macro is set on the command line, $(PATCH- FILE) is taken as output file name instead. Defining PATCHFILE=- on the command line causes the patch to be written to standard output. Note: For patches invoking multiple subsystems, $(PATCHFILE) should be set to an absolute pathname. If not, the patch generation procedure will leave an equally named patch file for each visited subsystem. The patch is constructed using the vdiff(1) command and can be applied to any installation of $(OLDRELEASE) by invoking patch(1). INCONVENIENCES
On System V machines, the generated patch file name will almost certainly exceed the 14 characters filename length limit. SEE ALSO
shape_releas(1), vdiff(1), patch(1) FILES
<name1>+2+<name2>.pat 21.8.119 SHAPE_PATCH(1)