Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Solaris 10 not booting with mirrored disk Post 302104478 by rowan_sen on Thursday 25th of January 2007 09:48:33 AM
Old 01-25-2007
Hi,

You can boot with "boot -a" for interactive boot. Press enter to use the defaults (or change if you see a problem) but when you get to the part where you specify your /etc/system file, specify /dev/null to bypass your /etc/system file which maybe you made a mistake editing. The system will boot with a "missing" /etc/system file, but a messed up one could cause problems.

That's how I remember it anyway.

Otherwise if the primary disk is not broken, put it back and boot off it. Re-mirror and then detach the primary, metaclear and boot off secondary.

Hope you succeed.
Rowan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Number of Disk Mirrored in HP-UX

In HP-UX 11.00 How can i check if there are disks mirrored (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgege
2 Replies

2. AIX

Mirrored disk.....

How do I know, which all disks are mirrored? any command? Bala (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating create mirrored disk files systems using mkfs command

What is the correct mkfs syntax to create mirrored disk files systems? I need to make the file system 20gb. For example: machine# mkfs -F ufs /dev/md/dsk/d40 size not specified ufs usage: mkfs special size(sectors) \ -m : dump fs cmd line used to make this partition -V : print this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GLJ@USC
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Remove os mirrored disk Solaris 10

Hello once again seeking your help, I have a mirrored disk and need to unmirror it to mount it as a new file system (/export) but could not find the correct steps to do it with out affecting the original disk. can anybody point me out on how to get this done. Thanks!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AQG
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Problems during booting from mirror disk

Hi All, I have detached a mirror and primary disk from my Solaris box. On trying to boot from Primary disk, It boots up good. But from my mirror disk, it is not booting and giving me the login prompt Instead it goes to maintenance state by issuing a coredump. Can you explain why... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to create multiple-boot system with disks mirrored(RAID1+0) and disk alone

I have a HP proliant ML 570 G3 with two 146GB disk drives mirrored(RAID1+0) windows server 2003 was installed on that disk. I will add a disk.(scsi 300GB) I will install Linux on that additional disk. I want to create multiple-boot system. Is it possible? I wanna know how to create... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifegeek
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Boot from Mirrored disk

So I have mirrored disk already set up from c1t0d0 to c1t1d0. Is there some special procedures that I need to do before I do and then try to boot from the mirrored disk? I am using a V490 if that helps... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew_1980
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 booting from EMC SAN DISK

Hi All, I have server : Sun-Fire-V490 configured with Solaris 10 zfs .. and I have configured three mirror the third one from EMC storage. root@server # zpool status -v pool: rpool state: ONLINE status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format. The pool can ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: top.level
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Need help replacing a mirrored boot disk

I have a v480 with a mirrored boot disk c1t0 and c1t1. The drives themselves don't show a failure but the mirror's need maintenance. This is my plan for replacing the drive. I would love feedback to point out what I"m missing or where my steps are incorrect. Two things I believe I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcoffey
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Booting 2nd mirrored boot disk

Hi guys, thanks for helping out. If you have two boot disk mirrored and your primary boot disk fails, how will you boot the system from the second disk? Thank you very much for your assistance on this matter. Arrey (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
5 Replies
volrootmir(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     volrootmir(8)

NAME
volrootmir - Mirror areas necessary for booting to a new disk SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volrootmir [-a] [nconfig=count] target_disk [swap=target_partition] OPTIONS
Specifies that all volumes on the system disk be mirrored, not just the root and swap volumes, rootvol and swapvol. DESCRIPTION
The volrootmir script causes a mirror copy of areas of the root disk involved in booting to be made on the specified target disk. When used without the -a option, volrootmir adds mirrors of the root and swap volumes and allocates them on the new disk. In addition, all disk regions required for booting are set up and partitions for the new volume mirrors are created. When used with the -a option, volrootmir mirrors all in-use partitions on the system disk. To mirror a swap volume that is on a separate disk from the root volume, the swap attribute must be used to specify a separate target for the swap mirror. The target disk(s) must be at least as large as the sum of the sizes of rootvol and swapvol. Also, the physical disk should not have any disk partition in use. This script can be called from the voldiskadm menus by choosing the Mirror volumes on a disk operation. ATTRIBUTES
Specifies the number of log copies and copies of the configuration database, for example, nconfig=2. Specifies that the swap volume, swapvol, be mirrored on a separate disk, as specified by target_partition. EXAMPLES
The following command mirrors the rootvol and swapvol volumes onto the target disk, dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on a differ- ent disk from rootvol. # volrootmir dsk3 The following command mirrors rootvol, swapvol, and any other volumes on the root disk onto the target disk, dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on a different disk from rootvol. # volrootmir -a dsk3 The following command mirrors rootvol on disk dsk3, swapvol onto partition dsk7d, and any other volumes on the root disk onto disk dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on the same disk as rootvol. # volrootmir -a dsk3 swap=dsk7d The following command mirrors rootvol onto disk dsk3 and swapvol onto partition dsk7d. This command will fail if swapvol is on the same disk as rootvol. # volrootmir dsk3 swap=dsk7d SEE ALSO
volintro(8), voldiskadm(8) volrootmir(8)