Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: script to return value
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to return value Post 302104334 by Andrek on Wednesday 24th of January 2007 08:18:30 PM
Old 01-24-2007
Just trying to get what your on about...

You run Script C, which runs Script A which runs Script B
How Script B echos either a W or a H when complete.

And you want to know this when script c ends....correct????

If thats the case try this (It may need testing....as there are other ways to trap stuff)

Inside the scripts try this

set a variable to the running of each script.

ie

ScriptC
end_scriptA=`/path/to/scriptA`
echo $end_scriptA

ScriptA
end_scriptB=`/path/to/scriptB`
echo $end_scriptB

There are better ways by using the $?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

return valuse from child script to parent script

Hi, I am trying to return a value from child script to a parent script just as a function does. The child script will look for a file and if exists will return 1 else 0. I need to capture the status 1 from child script in the parent script and proceed further. if 0, i need not do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borncrazy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know return value of the script

I have a script and when it is running it is showing PASSED or FAILED.But I would like to pass the results into return code.So pls provide suggession how to add return code into this script AgcfIp=`GetSoftatcValue AgcfIp_1` AgcfShell=`GetSoftatcValue AgcfShell_1` AgcfPath=`GetSoftatcValue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how ro use return from a child script

I use return <value> to return a value from inside an else condition in child script to parent script and i am getting the following error.What is this sourced script? Can I return value to a different script using return statement. return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: codeman007
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return the value from the called shell script to the calling sh script

Hi all, I have two ksh scripts #sample1.sh #!/bin/ksh . ./sample2.sh echo $fileExist #sample2.sh #!/bin/ksh func() { i=1 return $a } func echo $? Here how should I return the value of sample2.sh back to sample1.sh? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gp_singh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return a value of a variable from shell script to perl script

HI , Is there any way to return a value of variable from shell to perl script. Code: === Perl file my $diff1=system("sh diff.sh"); my $diff2=system("sh diff1.sh"); I need exit status of below commands i.e 0 and 1 respectively. Since in both the cases diff is working so system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkelect
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return a value from another script

Hi! I have a parameter in an existing script, let's call the parameter param1 and the script - script1. I have another script - script2, which receives param1 and returns a certain value. I would like this value to be returned inside param1. There is no problem with script2, it runs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doing a tail in a script and then return back and continue script

Hello all, I am trying to do a tail in a script. But when I quit the tail my script quits also. This is not what I want. I am struggling to get this done. #!/bin/bash askFile() { echo -n "Enter file: " read FILE } doTail() { tail -F "${1}" } askFile doTail... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdark
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need output of script on screen and file with correct return status of the called script.

Hi, I am trying to capture logs of the script in the file as well as on the screen. I have used exec and tee command for this. While using exec command I am getting the correct output in the file but, script output is not getting displayed on the screen as it get executed. Below is my sample... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script

Not sure where the problem is. I can run the script without any issue using the following command. . /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh But it fails with the below error when I try it this way /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh: line 65: return: can only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svajhala
1 Replies
Locale::Script(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Locale::Script(3)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-06-03 Locale::Script(3)