Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Read file and remove max length Post 302104332 by sb008 on Wednesday 24th of January 2007 07:51:23 PM
Old 01-24-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayyabq8
Modify your function like this:
Code:
function while_read_LINE
{
while read LINE; do
 count=0
 count=`echo $line | wc -c` 
 if [ $count -lt 500 ]; then 
     echo $LINE >> NEWFILE
 else 
     echo $LINE >> REJFILE
 fi
done
} < $FILENAME

This will put lines with a length of 499 characters in the wrong file.

echo abc | wc -c will have 4 as result and not 3

use a korn or bash shell
typeset -i count
((count=`echo $line | wc -c`-1))

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a Unix filepath max length

Hi Guys, Could anyone shed some light on the length of a Unix filepath max length pls ? thanks ! Wilson (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsontan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the max length of args i can pass in shell?

i have a shell script which takes several args. what is the maximum length of string i can give as argument? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilk615
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the max length of string

Hi all, I have a flat file of 1000 rows. I want to check the length of the 5th column. The one having the longest length , I want to set it as DEFINED PARAMETER. So later I can check others with that particular number only. Any ideas ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh123
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read max of 10 file at a time?

Hi All, Please advise . Welcome more suggestions. For examples, I have 1000 file with prefix x??? In fact, I want to convert them to x???.txt with max 10 files at a time. As such, I will need to call another script to read from those 10 *txt files and sleep 5000 to convert the next 10 again.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cedrichiu
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to grep the max length word form a file?

Hi i have a requirement that is extract the max length word from a file ? plz reply (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vankireddy
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read fixed length flat file....

Hi Gurus, Thanks in advance... I am new to writing shell scripting and help me out reading a flat file with fixed length. I have a fixed length flat file with storename(lenth 6) , emailaddress(lenth 15), location(10). There is NO delimiters in that file. Like the following str00001.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: willywilly
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to increase max username length?

Hi, This is my first post to this site. So kindly forgive if I am writing in a wrong section. My query is that... I want to modify the max username length size. I guess it is 32/64 on CentOS. Now I want to change it to 128. Is there any way to do that? Thanks in advance!! :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajay303
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modify the max username length

Hey Any one... Do u know any way I can modify the max username length in unix? I guess it is 32/64 characters by default. Suppose I want to increase it to 128. i hav tried /etc/skel but no use... How can I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MayureshRisbud
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove characters from fixed length file

Hello I've question on the requirement I am working on. We are getting a fixed length file with "33" characters long. We are processing that file loading into DB. Now some times we are getting a file with "35" characters long. In this case I have to remove two characters (in 22,23... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: manasvi24
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read File and check records for length

I need a script that will run in unix to: 1) Read and input file with 1 column that contains for ex: 0123456789 1234567890 ...etc 2) Checks the first column if it is: a. Numeric from 0 - 9 b. if it is not less... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)