Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Loopback files on a FAT based Filesystem? Post 302104298 by deckard on Wednesday 24th of January 2007 02:54:38 PM
Old 01-24-2007
Loopback files on a FAT based Filesystem?

I'm trying to set up a set of loopback files on a digital music player so I can carry a QEMU virtual machine with me. The digital music player in question is the Rio Karma and the filesystem it uses is omfs. Based on what I read at the Rio Karma FS page: http://linux-karma.sourceforge.net/rio-usb.html it would appear that omfs is based on FAT. One of the things that also seems to support this is that I wasn't able to create loopback files larger than 2 gigs on the filesystem.

The other point to note is that I am coupling omfs with a fuse userspace filesystem 'lkarmafs' which allows one to mount the Karma in "Taxi" mode. This provides a location in <base mount point>/taxi/ that you can carry regular files in. I am able to create loopback files here, but I can't seem to use them as I would if they were on an ext3 or reiserfs partition. So I tried a new approach and create my files at an appropriate size on a ext3 partition. I then prepped them (fdisk/lvm/format) and made sure they stayed below the 2 gig limit. I then copied them to the taxi folder. All of this seemed to work fine.

As soon as I pointed QEMU at those files it complains that it can't read the first file passed to it. But it reads the same exact file on ext3 just fine. So I suspect there is some limitation of either lkarmafs, fuse, omfs or even FAT that prevents proper access to the files. I post this mostly because I'm wondering if any one has any suggestions regarding loopback files on non-Unix filesystems. Perhaps there is an inherent limitation in FAT that prevent loopback from working right? Maybe I created them improperly? Here is the dd command I used:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=2097152 of=1.img

Maybe I should have used 512 for bs? Or am I just barking up the wrong tree and there are too many possible causes to really investigate?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can a Loopback Filesystem be Partitioned?

I have a disk image file created for use with the Linux version of the QEMU emulator. It's partitioned. I opened it with fdisk and the partitions show up with some extra messages about physical/logical endings: Disk knoppix.img: 0 MB, 0 bytes 16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 0 cylinders Units =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

loopback filesystem disappears after reboot

I am running solarix x86 on a dell r810; I have mirrored the two internal 300Gb disks and accepted the default directory structure during the installation. Oracle 11g R2 was then installed with a view to using this machine in a DR scenario. The following steps were performed to create two disks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jabberwocky
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange FAT filesystem

My Garmin GPS device has a slot for an SD card. I'm using a 32 GB SD card which holds 22 GB data currently. If I attach my device to a USB port it shows two devices, the internal memory and the SD card. I have no problems with the internal memory which holds only 2 GB of data. I can mount... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HJarausch
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Loopback?

This is in the beginning of the program: clear tput cup 1 20 echo "Welcome to UNIX I Final Assignment" tput cup 4 3 echo -e "Who would you like to look up? \c" tput cup 6 5 echo "vans, Rolland" tput cup 8 5 echo "ones, Mildred" tput cup 10 5 echo "mith, Julie" tput cup 12 5 echo... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thriveforana
0 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Loopback

clear echo "vans, Rolland" echo "Press in Your Keyboard to Quit" echo -e "Please Enter Your Choice : \c" read option case $option in I have created the corresponding information for each input on the display so... My question is... How do I display the corresponding information... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thriveforana
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating fat files: Lipo vs libtool

I wonder what would be the difference when using: lipo -create i386/libAwesome.a armv7/libAwesome.a -o fat/libAwesome.a and libtool -static i386/libAwesome.a armv7/libAwesome.a -o fat/libAwesome.a I have the impression that lipo is more general, and it will simply stick two files from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nacho4d
0 Replies
OCP(1)                                                        General Commands Manual                                                       OCP(1)

NAME
ocp - music player SYNOPSIS
ocp [ options ] [ playlist ] [ modulename ] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the ocp command. ocp is a music player which can play music modules (it, s3m, xm, mod), wave, audio CD, sid, midi, mp3, adlib, flac, ym, and ogg vorbis. The player has a built-in file selector which can be configured using alt-c. Press f1 for the online help. To use the graphical output mode see your ~/.ocp/ocp.ini configuration file. OPTIONS
-h Show summary of options. -c Use specific configuration. -f Fileselector settings -v Sound settings -s Device settings -p Quit when playlist is empty. EXAMPLE
ocp -fl0,r1 -vp75,f2 -spdevpdisk -sr48000 fegolhuz.xm Renders the module to HD. SEE ALSO
You can find a more detailed document at http://www.cubic.org/player/opencp.pdf. file:///usr/share/doc/opencubicplayer-doc/ oggenc(1), flac(1), lame(1). AUTHOR
Open Cubic Player was written by Niklas Beisert and ported to Linux by Stian Sebastian Skjelstad. This manual page was written by Gurkan Sengun <gurkan@linuks.mine.nu>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). December 26, 2006 OCP(1)