Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Access Control List
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Access Control List Post 302104171 by Perderabo on Tuesday 23rd of January 2007 11:13:50 PM
Old 01-24-2007
I would use the terminology: "add usera to groupb". It is not incorrect to say "add groupb to usera's list of groups"; but most people think of it the other way around. And this is what I would do.

ACL's are not standard so I tend to avoid them. If you must use ACL's, you need to specify Solaris ACL's or HP-UX ACL's or whatever.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Access Control

In Windows XP, there are 3 default access control groups namely: Administrators, Users and Power Users. Is there default access control groups in Unix system? If there is, what are they? newbie. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zertoir
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access control Lists

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with ACL's. I have a file, say output, created by the root user, member of group other. Its permissions are rwxr--r--. I want only people in group other to have rwx access, but I also want one other user, stephen, member of some_other_group to have rwx... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sroberts82
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Command for access control list

Hi, I want to set access control list on folders but it should be recursively, any Idea? command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does U*X have Access Control Lists?

In OS like windows, I can define an Access Control List (ACL) and specify which accounts and groups have what access to a specific file. I assume U*X, Linux and cygwin on windows have this ACL feature too. I'm using cygwin on windows. What do I type at a bash prompt to allow a specific user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Internet Access Control

I need to control intenet access @ work. xample. I need PC 1 to only be able to access these five sites and add to the list as needed. Can anyone pint me a direction. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fruiz
1 Replies

6. AIX

Access control using LDAP

Hello, I've configurated a LDAP user authentication on AIX V6 against Active Directory (Windows Server 2008). The Tree is built as follows: test (DC) |--- testgroup (group with members: user1, user2) | |--- sys1 (OU) | |--- sys1group (group with member: user1) | |--- sys2 (OU)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xia777
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

eTrust Access Control

Hi, I am using eTrust Access Control at work. I have got no output after type checklogin. I wonder what is the reason. Does anyone know? Thanks eTrustAC selang v8.00a-1555.13 - eTrustAC command line interpreter Copyright (c) 2006 CA. All rights reserved. eTrustAC> checklogin user1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: uuontario
0 Replies

8. Proxy Server

How to use Squid on Linux to control certain IP to access Web Server and certain IP cannot access?

Dear all experts here, :) I would like to install a proxy server on Linux server to perform solely to control the access of Web server. In this case, some of my vendor asked me to try Squid and I have installed it onto my Linux server. I would like know how can I set the configuration to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Question for expert only in Access control list

If I'm the admin for the financial system and I want to configure authorization pf file system permission.Also, The first rule is that Managers and clerks can read and write billings for all cases. The second rules is that Paralegals and administrative assits can read and write billings only on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mecnio
2 Replies
aclcheck(3SEC)					       File Access Control Library Functions					    aclcheck(3SEC)

NAME
aclcheck - check the validity of an ACL SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lsec [ library... ] #include <sys/acl.h> int aclcheck(aclent_t *aclbufp, int nentries, int *which); DESCRIPTION
The aclcheck() function checks the validity of an ACL pointed to by aclbufp. The nentries argument is the number of entries contained in the buffer. The which parameter returns the index of the first entry that is invalid. The function verifies that an ACL pointed to by aclbufp is valid according to the following rules: o There must be exactly one GROUP_OBJ ACL entry. o There must be exactly one USER_OBJ ACL entry. o There must be exactly one OTHER_OBJ ACL entry. o If there are any GROUP ACL entries, then the group ID in each group ACL entry must be unique. o If there are any USER ACL entries, then the user ID in each user ACL entry must be unique. o If there are any GROUP or USER ACL entries, then there must be exactly one CLASS_OBJ (ACL mask) entry. o If there are any default ACL entries, then the following apply: o There must be exactly one default GROUP_OBJ ACL entry. o There must be exactly one default OTHER_OBJ ACL entry. o There must be exactly one default USER_OBJ ACL entry. o If there are any DEF_GROUP entries, then the group ID in each DEF_GROUP ACL entry must be unique. o If there are any DEF_USER entries, then the user ID in each DEF_USER ACL entry must be unique. o If there are any DEF_GROUP or DEF_USER entries, then there must be exactly one DEF_CLASS_OBJ (default ACL mask) entry. o If any of the above rules are violated, then the function fails with errno set to EINVAL. RETURN VALUES
If the ACL is valid, alcheck() will return 0. Otherwise errno is set to EINVAL and return code is set to one of the following: GRP_ERROR There is more than one GROUP_OBJ or DEF_GROUP_OBJ ACL entry. USER_ERROR There is more than one USER_OBJ or DEF_USER_OBJ ACL entry. CLASS_ERROR There is more than one CLASS_OBJ (ACL mask) or DEF_CLASS_OBJ (default ACL mask) entry. OTHER_ERROR There is more than one OTHER_OBJ or DEF_OTHER_OBJ ACL entry. DUPLICATE_ERROR Duplicate entries of USER, GROUP, DEF_USER, or DEF_GROUP. ENTRY_ERROR The entry type is invalid. MISS_ERROR Missing an entry. The which parameter returns -1 in this case. MEM_ERROR The system cannot allocate any memory. The which parameter returns -1 in this case. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
acl(2), aclsort(3SEC), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 10 Dec 2001 aclcheck(3SEC)