Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Read file and remove max length Post 302104045 by matrixmadhan on Tuesday 23rd of January 2007 06:04:13 AM
Old 01-23-2007
Code:
awk '{ if (length < 500 ) { print $0 > "file1" }  else { print $0 > "file2" } }'  filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a Unix filepath max length

Hi Guys, Could anyone shed some light on the length of a Unix filepath max length pls ? thanks ! Wilson (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsontan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the max length of args i can pass in shell?

i have a shell script which takes several args. what is the maximum length of string i can give as argument? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilk615
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the max length of string

Hi all, I have a flat file of 1000 rows. I want to check the length of the 5th column. The one having the longest length , I want to set it as DEFINED PARAMETER. So later I can check others with that particular number only. Any ideas ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh123
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read max of 10 file at a time?

Hi All, Please advise . Welcome more suggestions. For examples, I have 1000 file with prefix x??? In fact, I want to convert them to x???.txt with max 10 files at a time. As such, I will need to call another script to read from those 10 *txt files and sleep 5000 to convert the next 10 again.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cedrichiu
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to grep the max length word form a file?

Hi i have a requirement that is extract the max length word from a file ? plz reply (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vankireddy
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read fixed length flat file....

Hi Gurus, Thanks in advance... I am new to writing shell scripting and help me out reading a flat file with fixed length. I have a fixed length flat file with storename(lenth 6) , emailaddress(lenth 15), location(10). There is NO delimiters in that file. Like the following str00001.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: willywilly
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to increase max username length?

Hi, This is my first post to this site. So kindly forgive if I am writing in a wrong section. My query is that... I want to modify the max username length size. I guess it is 32/64 on CentOS. Now I want to change it to 128. Is there any way to do that? Thanks in advance!! :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajay303
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modify the max username length

Hey Any one... Do u know any way I can modify the max username length in unix? I guess it is 32/64 characters by default. Suppose I want to increase it to 128. i hav tried /etc/skel but no use... How can I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MayureshRisbud
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove characters from fixed length file

Hello I've question on the requirement I am working on. We are getting a fixed length file with "33" characters long. We are processing that file loading into DB. Now some times we are getting a file with "35" characters long. In this case I have to remove two characters (in 22,23... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: manasvi24
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read File and check records for length

I need a script that will run in unix to: 1) Read and input file with 1 column that contains for ex: 0123456789 1234567890 ...etc 2) Checks the first column if it is: a. Numeric from 0 - 9 b. if it is not less... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies
audit(2)							   System Calls 							  audit(2)

NAME
audit - write a record to the audit log SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lbsm -lsocket -lnsl [ library... ] #include <sys/param.h> #include <bsm/libbsm.h> int audit(caddr_t record, int length); DESCRIPTION
The audit() function queues a record for writing to the system audit log. The data pointed to by record is queued for the log after a mini- mal consistency check, with the length parameter specifying the size of the record in bytes. The data should be a well-formed audit record as described by audit.log(4). The kernel validates the record header token type and length, and sets the time stamp value before writing the record to the audit log. The kernel does not do any preselection for user-level generated events. If the audit policy is set to include sequence or trailer tokens, the kernel will append them to the record. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, 0 is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The audit() function will fail if: E2BIG The record length is greater than the maximum allowed record length. EFAULT The record argument points outside the process's allocated address space. EINVAL The header token in the record is invalid. ENOTSUP Solaris Audit is not defined for this system. EPERM The {PRIV_PROC_AUDIT} privilege is not asserted in the effective set of the calling process. USAGE
Only privileged processes can successfully execute this call. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
bsmconv(1M), audit(1M), auditd(1M), svcadm(1M), auditon(2), getaudit(2), audit.log(4), attributes(5), privileges(5) NOTES
The functionality described in this man page is available only if the Solaris Auditing has been enabled and the audit daemon auditd(1M) has not been disabled by audit(1M) or svcadm(1M). See bsmconv(1M) for more information. SunOS 5.11 16 Apr 2008 audit(2)