Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Linux/Unix Shell Scripting Book Post 302103930 by BOFH on Monday 22nd of January 2007 11:43:09 AM
Old 01-22-2007
As sysgate said, there are lots of good tutorials on the 'net. As for books, I used the O'Reilly Learning the korn shell, Learning the bash shell books along with sed & awk as references when I wanted to do something specific. For several shell scripting classes I gave, I used Unix Shells by Example which was quite helpful.

Carl

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting for Unix and/or Linux

Anyone here knows any reasonably priced courses for independent (not corporate) users that can point me to. Already know Unix commands/vi/etc but now need scripting too. Any replies will be appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FastFood
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Good Book For Unix And Shell Scripting

Hello people.I'm new to the forum and would like to seek your opinion in purchaing a copy of a good Unix and Shell scripting book. I have good knowledge of basic unix concepts and now i would like to delve into more details. Your suugestion much appreciated. Thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aeontoam82
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

any good book for Shell Scripting ?

Hi , I am aware of basics of UNIX like general commands for files & directories. However now I have to move on to shell programming . Please suggest any good book for beginners for shell programming basics & advanced which might have some practice questions also. Thanks, Ankur (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankurvohra
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

recommend book for unix command/ shell scripting

Hi, i wish to learn unix commands and shell scripting. platform is solaris. but i am focused more on handy unix commands than system administration. which books do you recommend? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nurulamin862
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Book for Learning unix shell scripting reall good

Hi guys I want o learn and understand shell scripting real good, Ive got already some background Due to the fact that there is ton of books with these theme, can you recommend me some good book with with examples explanations, pls no theoretical books :D Thxs (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kl1ngac1k
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting book learning.

Hi Which is the most useful shell scripting book. Planning to learn shell scripting.Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunvellanki
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best Book for C Shell Scripting

Hi, One of my friend has recently joined a company wherein they have given him a project in C shell Scripting. But, he is new to Scripting. requesting me a good book to learn C shell scripting. As I'm not much into Scripting I'd request any one to suggest me the best book to learn C shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suren1829
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] Book for shell scripting

I plan to buy a shell scripting book. Please suggest me a best book for shell Scripting. It will be great if the book contains more examples. Regards Kalai ---------- Post updated at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:09 AM ---------- I got the solution in the below post. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a good book to learn UNIX Shell Scripting

I'm going to be starting a job in a month or so that I need to brush up on my Unix shell scripting skills. About 15 years ago, I took a college class for Unix shell scripting. I would like to find a good college book again, rather than just going to Amazon and just buying anything. This is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dorlow
2 Replies
DOMDOCUMENT.GETELEMENTBYID(3)						 1					     DOMDOCUMENT.GETELEMENTBYID(3)

DOMDocument::getElementById - Searches for an element with a certain id

SYNOPSIS
public DOMElement DOMDocument::getElementById (string $elementId) DESCRIPTION
This function is similar to "DOMDocument::getElementsByTagName" but searches for an element with a given id. For this function to work, you will need either to set some ID attributes with "DOMElement::setIdAttribute" or a DTD which defines an attribute to be of type ID. In the later case, you will need to validate your document with "DOMDocument::validate" or DOMDocument::$vali- dateOnParse before using this function. PARAMETERS
o $elementId - The unique id value for an element. RETURN VALUES
Returns the DOMElement or NULL if the element is not found. EXAMPLES
Example #1 DOMDocument::getElementById() Example The following examples use book.xml which contains the following: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE books [ <!ELEMENT books (book+)> <!ELEMENT book (title, author+, xhtml:blurb?)> <!ELEMENT title (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT blurb (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT author (#PCDATA)> <!ATTLIST books xmlns CDATA #IMPLIED> <!ATTLIST books xmlns:xhtml CDATA #IMPLIED> <!ATTLIST book id ID #IMPLIED> <!ATTLIST author email CDATA #IMPLIED> ]> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="style.xsl"?> <books xmlns="http://books.php/" xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> <book id="php-basics"> <title>PHP Basics</title> <author email="jim.smith@basics.php">Jim Smith</author> <author email="jane.smith@basics.php">Jane Smith</author> <xhtml:blurb><![CDATA[ <p><em>PHP Basics</em> provides an introduction to PHP.</p> ]]></xhtml:blurb> </book> <book id="php-advanced"> <title>PHP Advanced Programming</title> <author email="jon.doe@advanced.php">Jon Doe</author> </book> </books> <?php $doc = new DomDocument; // We need to validate our document before refering to the id $doc->validateOnParse = true; $doc->Load('book.xml'); echo "The element whose id is 'php-basics' is: " . $doc->getElementById('php-basics')->tagName . " "; ?> The above example will output: The element whose id is 'php-basics' is: book SEE ALSO
DOMDocument::getElementsByTagName. PHP Documentation Group DOMDOCUMENT.GETELEMENTBYID(3)