Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Questions about Unix/Linux
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Questions about Unix/Linux Post 302103825 by thoughts on Monday 22nd of January 2007 12:14:45 AM
Old 01-22-2007
Programming languages have evolved into different versions, I think Visual C++ allows one to build a website, but I don't think it was possible to build websites from the original C++ language.

However both C and C++ are good for building games and desktop applications since their execution speed is fast.

Java was built on top of C++, to improve upon C++ originally. I think this site details the similarities and differences between the two languages:
http://www.dickbaldwin.com/java/Java008.htm - last revised 1999.

But all programming languages have evolved now, there's .Net which includes VC++ I think. So, yeah whatever you can do with one language can also be done with another. But no two languages are exactly similar, depending on what one wants to implement on a large scale they can make a choice on which programming language to persue.

Some languages are more suitable for certain tasks than others. For example it is more straighforward to process XML files with XSLT than it is with Java, although it is possible to do it with Java.

Sometimes, when 2 languages or platforms are similar for example .Net is similar to Java, it just boils down to what platform you are more familiar with.

I learned C for 4 years in school, but when I graduated Java was being developed - but the job world didn't allow me to work on either language. I had to learn other languages like ColdFusion etc.

So pick whatever languages fascinate you and what you want to accomplish with them and learn them.

This chart lists a high level comparison between languages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ming_languages

It is also beneficial to study the job industry and see what languages are more in demand. Some languages get discontinued or very few companies use them.

Last edited by thoughts; 01-22-2007 at 01:21 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RedHat linux questions??

1. is redhat linux 7.3 the latest version ?? 2. where can i find FREE documentation regarding it ?? installation , etc... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAM
2 Replies

2. Linux

Linux questions

Hi everyone, I came from a diffrent UNIX background and am trying to learn Linux (Red Hat) in a hurry. I would be very grateful if you could help me with the following questions. I know the answers for questions 1, 3, and 4 in a Sun Solaris environment, but not in Linux... Thanks in advance for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Enigma777
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Absolute n00b questions about Unix / Linux

Hi All, I have absolutely no experince with either one, and would LOVE to start from somewhere! So please guide me to some web sites (beside these great forums of course!) that I can obtain n00b information. (Books, links, resources, etc.) What software OS? should I begin with? I have heard... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CodeHunter
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux Scripts questions

Hi All, You have a very large file, named 'ColCheckMe', tab-delimited, that you are asked to process. You are told that each line in 'ColCheckMe' has 7 columns, and that the values in the 5th column are integers. Using shell functions (and standard LINUX/UNIX filters), indicate how you would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: am2007
7 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

UNIX/Linux for Windows? and a few other questions...

1) I want UNIX but I don't want to partition my hard drive. I have heard of programs that allow you to start UNIX from Windows but I don't know which one is good. Something like WinLinux (not too sure???) Anyone know which programs I'm talking about? 2) Is Linux UNIX? 3) How do you pronounce... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: CornNuts
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Few questions on unix/linux

Hi , please give few answers for this questions:confused::confused: ...thanks in advance What shell do you use when you log in to a UNIX/Linux host? What command will show you the shell you're using? Describe 5 things you can do in Linux/UNIX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hecker007
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and Linux questions

Sorry for the dumb question......I got my B.S. in computer science Amazing how I don't these answers).....I wrote mostly in the language C in my college career. I wrote all my programs using a windows application for writing C.....and then after testing it, I would upload it to a UNIX system and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bruuuuce78
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix vs linux in the job place and other questions

hello all, im new to this site...and look forward to corresponding with you all. i am a microsoft kid (sad) currently i work on small networks and repair computers for home and business. i want to better my skill set...but dont want to carry on down the MS route. Basically i want to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: j0n1n
12 Replies
Preferred(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    Preferred(3pm)

NAME
Lingua::Preferred - Perl extension to choose a language SYNOPSIS
use Lingua::Preferred qw(which_lang acceptable_lang); my @wanted = qw(en de fr it de_CH); my @available = qw(fr it de); my $which = which_lang(@wanted, @available); print "language $which is the best of those available "; foreach (qw(en_US fr nl de_DE)) { print "language $_ is acceptable " if acceptable_lang(@wanted, $_); } DESCRIPTION
Often human-readable information is available in more than one language. Which should you use? This module provides a way for the user to specify possible languages in order of preference, and then to pick the best language of those available. Different 'dialects' given by the 'territory' part of the language specifier (such as en, en_GB, and en_US) are also supported. The routine "which_lang()" picks the best language from a list of alternatives. The arguments are: o a reference to a list of preferred languages (first is best). Here, a language is a string like 'en' or 'fr_CA'. ('fr_*' can also be given - see below.) 'C' (named for the Unix 'C' locale) matches any language. o a reference to non-empty list of available languages. Here, a language can be like 'en', 'en_CA', or "undef" meaning 'unknown'. The return code is which language to use. This will always be an element of the available languages list. The cleverness of this module (if you can call it that) comes from inferring implicit language preferences based on the explicit list passed in. For example, if you say that en is acceptable, then en_IE and en_DK will presumably be acceptable too (but not as good as just plain en). If you give your language as en_US, then en is almost as good, with the other dialects of en following soon afterwards. If there is a tie between two choices, as when two dialects of the same language are available and neither is explicitly preferred, or when none of the available languages appears in the user's list, then the choice appearing earlier in the available list is preferred. Sometimes, the automatic inferring of related dialects is not what you want, because a language dialect may be very different to the 'main' language, for example Swiss German or some forms of English. For this case, the special form 'XX_*' is available. If you dislike Mexican Spanish (as a completely arbitrary example), then "[ 'es', 'es_*', 'es_MX' ]" would rank this dialect below any other dialect of es (but still acceptable). You don't have to explicitly list every other dialect of Spanish before es_MX. So for example, supposing @avail contains the languages available: o You know English and prefer US English: $which = which_lang([ 'en_US' ], @avail); o You know English and German, German/Germany is preferred: $which = which_lang([ 'en', 'de_DE' ], @avail); o You know English and German, but preferably not Swiss German: $which = which_lang([ 'en', 'de', 'de_*', 'de_CH' ], @avail); Here any dialect of German (eg de_DE, de_AT) is preferable to de_CH. Whereas "which_lang()" picks the best language from a list of alternatives, "acceptable_lang()" answers whether a single language is included (explicitly or implicitly) in the list of wanted languages. It adds the implicit dialects in the same way. AUTHOR
Ed Avis, ed@membled.com SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.8.8 2005-10-17 Preferred(3pm)