Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? ACM, USENIX, SAGE, Computer Society Post 302103706 by Neo on Saturday 20th of January 2007 07:47:48 PM
Old 01-20-2007
I agree that ACM is a very solid organization for computing professionals. IEEE is good too, but ACM seems to be more "creative" when discussing computing abstractions above the network layer.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

getting computer name

Hi all! Is there any function to get the name from a computer by the IP adresse? Thank you in advance! Greetings Mario (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coredump2003
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

who - PC Computer name

Does anyone know of a way of identifying the PC / client name rather than IP address via who or some other AIX command (5.3). (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
4 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

How Many hours on Computer?

How many hours you spend on Computer in a day??? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcomex999
10 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

What was your first computer?

Hey, the What Do You Do for a Living thread got me thinking about this. My first "computer" was a Timex Sinclair that I built from a kit. I also spent many hours painstakingly programming a Commodore Vic20 to display graphics and sound (and save them on that slooooow tape drive). My first "real"... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: dday
26 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't shutdown the computer

i cannot shutdown my computer through GUI or CLI when i put the command shutdown -P/-r nowor press the shutdown button it goes to the login prompt and stays like that afterwards, so i press CTRL+ALT+delete (which works) but that only restarts it and closes processes like winbind and apache ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mi117
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help my computer has been compromised

Hi everyone, I hope I am posting in the right spot and I really need some help. I am going through a horrible divorce and I am afraid that my husband has compromised . He set up my mac computer and router and for my job set up remote access for me. I caught him cheating on me and I think he... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kk243665
6 Replies
ieee(3m)																  ieee(3m)

Name
       copysign, drem, finite, logb, scalb - copysign, remainder, exponent manipulations

Syntax
       #include <math.h>

double copysign(x,y)
       double x,y;

double drem(x,y)
       double x,y;

int finite(x)
       double x;

double logb(x)
       double x;

double scalb(x,n)
       double x;
       int n;

Description
       These functions are required, or recommended by the IEEE standard 754 for floating-point arithmetic.

The function returns x with its sign changed to y's.

The function returns the remainder r := x - n*y where n is the integer nearest the exact value of x/y.  Additionally if |n-x/y|=1/2, then n
       is even.  Consequently the remainder is computed exactly and |r| <= |y|/2.  Note that is the exception (see Diagnostics).

Finite(x) = 1 just when -infinity < x < +infinity,
		 = 0 otherwise (when |x| = infinity or x is NaN)

The a signed integer converted to double-precision floating-point and so chosen that 1 <= |x|/2**n < 2 unless x = 0 or |x| = infinity or  x
       lies between 0 and the Underflow Threshold.

Scalb(x,n) = x*(2**n) computed, for integer n, without first computing 2**N.

Diagnostics
       IEEE 754 defines drem(x,0) and drem(infinity,y) to be invalid operations that produce a NaN.

IEEE 754 defines logb(+-infinity) = +infinity and logb(0) = -infinity, requires the latter to signal Division-by-Zero.

Restrictions
       IEEE 754 currently specifies that logb(denormalized no.) = logb(tiniest normalized no. > 0) but the consensus has changed to the specifica-
       tion in the new proposed IEEE standard p854, namely that logb(x) satisfy
	      1 <= scalb(|x|,-logb(x)) < Radix	 ... = 2 for IEEE 754
       for every x except 0, infinity and NaN.	Almost every program that assumes 754's specification will work correctly if  logb  follows  854's
       specification instead.

IEEE 754 requires copysign(x,NaN) = +-x	but says nothing else about the sign of a NaN.

See Also
       floor(3M), fp_class(3), math(3M)

RISC								  ieee(3m)