Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Installing unix.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Installing unix. Post 302103702 by BOFH on Saturday 20th of January 2007 07:28:38 PM
Old 01-20-2007
I'd have to test a few things for that situation. For example, what sort of external drive are you talking about? Most likely it's a USB drive. Your BIOS would have to support booting from a USB device. I've heard some newer machines have that capability. If yours is one, that's the first hurdle.

Next is whether the unix you decide to use will also recognize a USB device as something you could install to. Then that it's booting from a USB device.

I don't think it's impossible, but maybe not something a new unix user would want to tackle.

As for repartitioning your drive, I think that's a better solution. You'd have to either rebuild your Windows box or get a repartitioning software package like Partition Magic. With that, you can shrink your Windows volume down by the 10Gig you want to use and then you could use pretty much any Linux distro to install to the new partition. There are numerous HOWTO's on how to install Linux and manage it properly in Windows.

Carl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing Unix

Hi all, I just joined this forum and I have tons and tons of questions! Lets start with first one, how to install unix (on laptop)? I bought this book (Unix System Administrator's Bible) and got a CD (Full distribution copy of FreeBSD 2.2.5); and it is all compressed (I got that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nchauhan
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

[THANKS!] Help for installing PATROL for UNIX

:( I am installing PATROL for UNIX for my HP-UX. However after I run "/cdrom/setup.sh -serveronly", it brame me error, can anyone please me for this, thank you: -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Launching WEB server. Please wait...... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gghost
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing Orcale 8i on unix

Dear Sir, I am working in a bank and our parent bank has developed an application package which will work with oracle 8i on unix platform. The unix on the server is unix ware 7.1.1 with pro*c compiler. My question is 1. Whether Oracle 8i or above for windows will work on any unix version... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Parameswaran.AR
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing unix programs

hi everyone, I'm new to the forums. I am in the process of learning unix. I have a problem installing a unix program. The program at question is Links. It is an internet browser. I have the INSTALL notes, but I'm not having much luck at all. Any ideas on how to install? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fissm
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing unix

hey, i downloaded a version of unix just recently in three files about a gig a piece in size. the website told me to merge the three files into one iso file...i did that using the xtra wizard on alchohol 120%. i tried to boot it from the virtual drive, but all it does is open a window that shows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: retrop_ffilc
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing UNIX with no cd or floppy

I have an complicated problem to solve. I want to install a basic UNIX installation on a Compaq LTE 5280 (Win 95). The floppy drive does not work, and there is no cd-rom. It has a 14.4 modem, and I have dial-up internet. I also have another computer (Win 98) with a floppy drive, cd drive, and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aeromark98
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Unix

Hello, I am a compete beginner to Unix, I have a very old HP 9000 class D server and i am trying to install HP-UX 11i on it, when i insert the cd into the cd drive on the Server and boot it up it does not automatically boot into the install of Unix. I have tried letting the Server boot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eoghanlee
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help Installing UNIX

I have a dual boot - XP and Solaris 10 on my Intel Box. Since quite sometime now, I have been trying to get a driver for the Network card on my box so that I can connect to the Web through Solaris; but Solaris does not have a generic driver for my Gigabit Ethernet 10.100.1000 T-base card. As a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tubbyrana
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Unix

I am new to Unix. I want to be able to do shell scripting. I have installed Vmware Server on my PC. Please see my PC specs below: Processor: Intel Core Duo CPU @ 2.2 GHz Memory: 2GB System Type: 32-bit OS How can I use Unix-Linux on my PC and learn Unix? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: abou202
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing programs in Unix

I have installed a software called GMT, then writing a script that call the new programs ./example02.sh but I am getting ./example02.sh: line 20: gmtset: command not found I have done ./configure make make install (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(8) 							FSF							   GRUB-INSTALL(8)

NAME
grub-install - install GRUB on your drive SYNOPSIS
grub-install [OPTION] install_device DESCRIPTION
Install GRUB on your drive. -h, --help print this message and exit -v, --version print the version information and exit --root-directory=DIR install GRUB images under the directory DIR instead of the root directory --grub-shell=FILE use FILE as the grub shell --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --force-lba force GRUB to use LBA mode even for a buggy BIOS --recheck probe a device map even if it already exists INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename. grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specfied by --root-directory, and uses the grub shell to install grub into the boot sector. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
grub(8), update-grub(8). The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a Texinfo manual in the grub-legacy-doc package. If the info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-install should give you access to the complete manual. grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.97) January 2013 GRUB-INSTALL(8)