Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Questions about Unix/Linux
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Questions about Unix/Linux Post 302103690 by Vallzi on Saturday 20th of January 2007 09:44:24 AM
Old 01-20-2007
Questions about Unix/Linux

Hello all.

Im a young lad with very limited experience with computers, even though I have been playing with them the past 5 years. I have the experience of the random World of Warcraft player that plays games all day.

I have a huge interest in learning everything about computers and I was wondering if any experts could take the time to answers that I have.

First of all, I do like gaming quite a bit but my main interest is in building my own game from scratch. Im going to be going to school to learn everything from Basic Website Building (HTML CSS), Basic Programming (C C++), and I also want to learn Software Engineering and Graphyx Design..

So I was wondering if I start messing arround with UNIX or Linux, if it might help me in some way.

So I was wondering if you could run games on a UNIX or Linux OS..?

And if its the right path to take using a UNIX or Linux OS when you want to learn about programming?

I also do have a PASCAL book that I was given and I know its an Old Programming Language, but would it be any use learning that before I start learning C ?

Thank you for taking your time reading this.

Sincerely
-Vallzi

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RedHat linux questions??

1. is redhat linux 7.3 the latest version ?? 2. where can i find FREE documentation regarding it ?? installation , etc... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAM
2 Replies

2. Linux

Linux questions

Hi everyone, I came from a diffrent UNIX background and am trying to learn Linux (Red Hat) in a hurry. I would be very grateful if you could help me with the following questions. I know the answers for questions 1, 3, and 4 in a Sun Solaris environment, but not in Linux... Thanks in advance for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Enigma777
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Absolute n00b questions about Unix / Linux

Hi All, I have absolutely no experince with either one, and would LOVE to start from somewhere! So please guide me to some web sites (beside these great forums of course!) that I can obtain n00b information. (Books, links, resources, etc.) What software OS? should I begin with? I have heard... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CodeHunter
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux Scripts questions

Hi All, You have a very large file, named 'ColCheckMe', tab-delimited, that you are asked to process. You are told that each line in 'ColCheckMe' has 7 columns, and that the values in the 5th column are integers. Using shell functions (and standard LINUX/UNIX filters), indicate how you would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: am2007
7 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

UNIX/Linux for Windows? and a few other questions...

1) I want UNIX but I don't want to partition my hard drive. I have heard of programs that allow you to start UNIX from Windows but I don't know which one is good. Something like WinLinux (not too sure???) Anyone know which programs I'm talking about? 2) Is Linux UNIX? 3) How do you pronounce... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: CornNuts
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Few questions on unix/linux

Hi , please give few answers for this questions:confused::confused: ...thanks in advance What shell do you use when you log in to a UNIX/Linux host? What command will show you the shell you're using? Describe 5 things you can do in Linux/UNIX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hecker007
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and Linux questions

Sorry for the dumb question......I got my B.S. in computer science Amazing how I don't these answers).....I wrote mostly in the language C in my college career. I wrote all my programs using a windows application for writing C.....and then after testing it, I would upload it to a UNIX system and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bruuuuce78
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix vs linux in the job place and other questions

hello all, im new to this site...and look forward to corresponding with you all. i am a microsoft kid (sad) currently i work on small networks and repair computers for home and business. i want to better my skill set...but dont want to carry on down the MS route. Basically i want to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: j0n1n
12 Replies
DM.CONF(5)                                                    BSD File Formats Manual                                                   DM.CONF(5)

NAME
dm.conf -- dungeon master configuration file DESCRIPTION
The dm.conf file is the configuration file for the dm(8) program. It consists of lines beginning with one of three keywords, badtty, game, and time. All other lines are ignored. Any tty listed after the keyword badtty may not have games played on it. Entries consist of two white-space separated fields: the string badtty and the ttyname as returned by ttyname(3). For example, to keep the uucp dialout, ``tty19'', from being used for games, the entry would be: badtty /dev/tty19 Any day/hour combination listed after the keyword time will disallow games during those hours. Entries consist of four white-space separated fields: the string time, the unabbreviated day of the week and the beginning and ending time of a period of the day when games may not be played. The time fields are in a 0 based, 24-hour clock. For example, the following entry allows games playing before 8AM and after 5PM on Mondays: time Monday 8 17 Any game listed after the keyword game will set parameters for a specific game. Entries consist of five white-space separated fields: the keyword game, the name of a game, the highest system load average at which the game may be played, the maximum users allowed if the game is to be played, and the priority at which the game is to be run. Any of these fields may start with a non-numeric character, resulting in no game limitation or priority based on that field. The game default controls the settings for any game not otherwise listed, and must be the last game entry in the file. Priorities may not be negative. For example, the following entries limits the game ``hack'' to running only when the system has 10 or less users and a load aver- age of 5 or less; all other games may be run any time the system has 15 or less users. game hack 5 10 * game default * 15 * FILES
/etc/dm.conf The dm(8) configuration file. SEE ALSO
setpriority(2), ttyname(3), dm(8) BSD May 31, 1993 BSD