Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl delete an element from array Post 302103318 by Perderabo on Wednesday 17th of January 2007 08:16:42 PM
Old 01-17-2007
Try this little script and post the results...
Code:
$ cat del.pl
#! /usr/local/bin/perl -w

print "perl version is ", $],  "\n";

@array=(a_b, a_c, a_d);

for ($index=0; $index <= $#array; $index++) {
        if (exists $array[$index])  {
                print "index = ", $index, "  element = ", $array[$index], "\n";
        } else {
                print "index = ", $index, "  element is not there", "\n";
        }
}

delete $array[1];

for ($index=0; $index <= $#array; $index++) {
        if (exists $array[$index])  {
                print "index = ", $index, "  element = ", $array[$index], "\n";
        } else {
                print "index = ", $index, "  element is not there", "\n";
        }

}

$ ./del.pl
perl version is 5.006001
index = 0  element = a_b
index = 1  element = a_c
index = 2  element = a_d
index = 0  element = a_b
index = 1  element is not there
index = 2  element = a_d
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

accessing my first element of array

Hello everyonel, I have an array set like so num=4 read name arr=name I go through while loop to assign different values to different array element from 1 to 4. when I try to access the FIRST element of the array I get the last one first. Like if I say ${arr} it will show the last element... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: afadaghi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove an element from an array in PERL

Hello guys, I have the following question. Consider the following code in PERL for($xeAnumber=0; $xeAnumber<@xeAnumber; $xeAnumber++) { if(@xeAnumber==@final_file) { @final_file=@xeTimeStamp; }... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shift array element

I want to delete and 0th element of array in shell scrpit and also shift all others to one level up. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshakraut
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove an element from array

I need to remove an element from the below array variable TABLENAME. #!/bin/ksh set -A TABLENAME "mirf roxar keke mirs" echo "the array is ${TABLENAME}" If i need to remove say keke and have the final TABLENAME as below, how this could be achieved. Pls throw some light. echo "Modified... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelrozar17
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: One action if an element doesn't exist in array

Hello, I want to run one (not multiple) action if an element doesn't exist in array. for example: @array = (1..10); foreach $el (@array) { if ($el != 11) { print "number not found\n"; } } the output of this simple script: number not found (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_zaher
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

previous element in the array perl

Hi, How to get previous/next element in the array perl Example @queue = (1, 2 ,3 , 4); I want to get value of 1 and 2, or, 2 and 3, or 3 and 4...etc and compare to value which one is greater to do that I need to get previous and next element of array ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guidely
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines in an array Using perl

im having an array @check which contains text ..i want to open the array and i have to delete lines starting from a word called "check1" till "check2" for eg:- check1 Use descriptive titles when posting. For example, do not post questions with subjects like "Help Me!", "Urgent!!" or "Doubt".... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkrishna89
0 Replies

8. Programming

How to delete a duplicate element from below array.

Hello forum , Please solve the below queery. A sorted array which has repated elements. A = {1,2,3,3,4,5,5,5,6,9,9} i want to delete the duplicate elements and to genrate a new array. i need the array sholud be like this A = {1,2,3,4,5,6,9}. Please write the piece of code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: workforsiva
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: How to check whether my array contains element x

Hi All, I am new to perl I am stuck in simple problem I need your help I want to define a subroutine. sub check_if_entity_exists(@array_to_be_checked,$entityName) I have array as http-listener-1 http-listener-2 http-listener-3 http-listener-4 If i send http-listener-3 my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javaholics
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Array Element

This question is for someone that's more familiar with Array Element. I need to know if the maximum array element that can be assigned is 1024 and if its so, Is there a workaround solution when the counter exceeded 1024? param_array="$param_nam" counter=$counter+1 #to avoid space... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cumeh1624
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)