Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris and windows
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris and windows Post 302103276 by grial on Wednesday 17th of January 2007 09:47:04 AM
Old 01-17-2007
As far as I know:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jartan
If i install windows xp and solaris on the same machine(x86 platform) can both be running at the same time,even if i use vmware or virtual pc like that.
Yes if you do it with vmware (I haven't tryed other virtual machines).

Quote:
Can I able to configure internet for solaris if i dont have a router and i directly connect to internet through cable modem.
Yes if Solaris supports that modem (and windows doesn't use it).
Quote:
Can i able to access my solaris machine from the same machine from windows platform using putty ?
Yes if you configure a (virtual) network.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

what can i use to network between windows and solaris.

Hi.. i tring to file share between microsoft and sun solaris, i heard of samba but what can i do with it.. is it easy to use or to understand, where can i get the software, any information will be a great help.. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: souldier
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris compared to Windows

Ok, heres the situation I have a job interview next week and they use Solaris there for their networking. I'm basically coming from a windows and novell background, I've been studying Solaris commands an such but I was wondering if someone can breakdown the main differences between windows and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP from Solaris to Windows

I know how to ftp from a unix server to another unix server, but how do I ftp frmo unix to a sepcified windows folder? For example, test file to transfer unix location of file - /tmp/test windows location to receive file c:\application\interface normally I would open the connection to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miredale
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Windows xp on Solaris 10

Hi Guys, I don't know if this can be done or if anyone has managed to get this done - install Win xp on solaris 10 through vmware? I have searched extensively on the internet but I haven't come up with anything substantial. I am using an x86 based pc. Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
10 Replies

5. Solaris

Share windows and solaris

I want a share windows DVD rom to solaris OS. Is it posible? then give me answers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saga499
3 Replies

6. Solaris

NTFS under Solaris (switching from windows to Solaris server)

I want just to keep Solaris OS as my default OS . I have installed linux and windows as well but all my critical data is stored on NTFS partition so question is how to mount HDD with NTFS on Solaris (tried FUSE + NTFS-3g but that did`t worked for me system was down) And why Solaris does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: microbot
2 Replies

7. Solaris

X-Windows on Solaris

Hi, I am new to the X-windows concept. I am connecting to Solaris Server through putty. I heard we can start an X-windows session(GUI) of the Solaris server from putty session as well. Can somebody help as how to proceed to acheive this ? Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Need to Share between Solaris 10 and Windows

Hello everyone, was looking to get some help. I am very new to Unix and need to join a Sun Ultra 24 workstation running SOLARIS 10 to a small Windows network for file sharing. The Windows Network is a closed network using a Dell server running Windows 2003 Server. The clients on the network... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sluggo
1 Replies

9. Solaris

MS Windows XP to Solaris 10

I have a solaris box with no internet connection. I downloaded a .tar file to my XP box, burned it to CD and copied the file to a directory on the solaris box. When I try to untar it, i get a directory checksum error. I don't know enough about unix to figure this out. Can someone please help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncjbdwqer
2 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)