Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Syncing server clocks in Solaris Post 302103127 by caoyangca2008 on Tuesday 16th of January 2007 03:12:07 PM
Old 01-16-2007
running timed service on only one server

Run a timed server on only one server while other servers are running timed client.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

NTPD seems to be not syncing !!!

Hi Linux Admin Guys My onsite server is always 15 min slow and seems like NTPD (Network Time Protocol (NTP) daemon) not running properly. can anyone suggest me how to rectify this problem? we can't seem to get NTP to properly sync the clock. Any help is resolving the issue will be helpful.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
12 Replies

2. Solaris

jumpstart Solaris 10 on Solaris 9 server

I just built a jumpstart server on a Solaris 9 sun box and have had no problems jumpstarting other sol9 boxes using the custom rules. I've also copied a Solaris 10 image onto that same solaris 9 server and have had problems loading Solaris 10. These boxes will go directly to the manual OS install... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: salty
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying directories from NT server to Unix server (solaris 5.8)

I need to copy around 30 directories (each directory include one or more text file(s)) from NT server to Unix server at one go. For doing this what are the privillages i should have in both NT and Unix server. Please let me know which command i can use in shell prompt. TIA. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhmr7
4 Replies

4. Solaris

NTFS under Solaris (switching from windows to Solaris server)

I want just to keep Solaris OS as my default OS . I have installed linux and windows as well but all my critical data is stored on NTFS partition so question is how to mount HDD with NTFS on Solaris (tried FUSE + NTFS-3g but that did`t worked for me system was down) And why Solaris does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: microbot
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 9 branded zone on a Solaris 10 server

I have a T5220 running Solaris 10. I have a application that can only run on Solaris 9. I want to build a branded Solaris 9 zone for this application on the Solaris 10 Server. What steps would I need to accomplish this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Validate mountpoints on solaris server after server reboot

Hi, anyone please let us know how to write shell script to find the missing mountpoints after server reboot. i want to take the mountpount information before server reboot, and validate the mountpoints after server reboot if any missing.please let us know the shell script from begining to end as... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: VenkatReddy786
24 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Migrate users from 1 Solaris 10 to a different Solaris 10 server

Hello, I have to backup users from one server and put them on another server. I have tried cp -pr, copied over the passwd, group, shadow and appended the users from the old server to the new servers files, rebooted and still can't login. The server accepts that new accounts are there but not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hs3082
2 Replies

8. Solaris

How to add new Solaris client IP into Solaris 10 DNS server?

Hi, We just built a new Solaris 10 zone. And would like to add it to our DNS server. Its also Solaris 10. Please let me know how can I get the IP resolved using this DNS server. I added entry into zone config file but not working. I did restarted the DNS services. And also added nameserver name... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
5 Replies
timed(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  timed(8)

NAME
timed - The network time daemon SYNOPSIS
timed [-tME] [-n | -i network] FLAGS
Specifies the names of the networks (as defined in the /etc/networks file) to be excluded from clock synchronization. Each network name that is an argument to the -i flag is added to the list of networks that the timed daemon will ignore. If the -i flag is used, timed accesses all networks to which the host is connected except for the specified networks. If neither the -i flag nor the -n flag is used, timed tries to access all the network devices connected to the local host. Do not use the -i and -n flags together. Specifies that a machine can become the time server if the master time server becomes inoperative. See the Restrictions section for more information. Overrides the input of slaves. Use the -E flag in conjunction with the -M flag. It specifies that a master timed system will not average the times of the slaves to calculate the network time. Instead, it distributes the time of its local host as the network time. This flag allows a master timed system to distribute time to a network while the network time is controlled by an outside agent (such as the Network Time Protocol (NTP)). Specifies the names of the networks (as defined in the /etc/networks file) to be included in clock synchronization. When timed is started, it gathers information about all the network devices connected to the local host. The network argument to the -n flag is the name of the network that timed should access. If the -n flag is used, only the specified networks are accessed. If neither the -n flag nor the -i flag is used, timed tries to access all the network devices connected to the local host. Do not use the -n and -i flags together. Enables tracing of messages received in /usr/adm/timed.log. DESCRIPTION
The timed daemon is not invoked at boot time by default. You can use /usr/sbin/timedsetup to configure the timed daemon. The timed daemon synchronizes the host's clock with those of other machines on the local area network that are also running the timed dae- mon. The timed daemon slows the clocks of some machines and speeds up the clocks on other machines to create an average network time. The average network time is computed from measurements of clock differences using the Internet Control Message Protocol ICMP timestamp request message. The service provided by timed is based on a master/slave (client/server) scheme. When timed is started on a machine, it asks the master timed daemon for the network time and sets the host's clock to that time. After that, the host accepts synchronization messages periodi- cally sent by the master and calls the adjtime system call to perform the needed corrections on the host's clock. The timed daemon also communicates with the date command to set the date globally, and with timedc, the timed control program. If the machine running the master ceases to function, a machine that is running the timed daemon with the -M flag becomes the new master timed daemon. Note The timed daemon is provided for compatibility. Tru64 UNIX also provides support for the Network Time Protocol through the xntpd daemon. You should use NTP for time synchronization. If you need to run both NTP and the timed daemon, you must run the timed daemon with the -E flag. If you plan to run both the timed daemon and NTP, you should also configure NTP first. RESTRICTIONS
In configurations with two or more hosts each connected to the same two or more subnetworks, only one of the host can run the timed with the -M option. FILES
Specifies the command path Contains messages traced for the timed command Contains information about the known networks RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: date(1), timedc(8), timedsetup(8) Daemons: xntpd(8) Functions: adjtime(2), gettimeofday(2) delim off timed(8)