Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dividing float values
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dividing float values Post 302103105 by shash on Tuesday 16th of January 2007 12:34:15 PM
Old 01-16-2007
Dividing float values

Hi

I know its a dumb question but can any one please explain me the difference of executing a shell script in the following 2 ways.

. script.sh
sh script.sh

I have a problem if I execute the following code as sh script.sh

DB_CNT_ALW=0.20
SCT_VAR=0.05

if [ "$(echo "if (${DB_CNT_ALW} > ${SCT_VAR}) 1" | bc)" -eq 1 ]; then
echo "== Difference is greater"
else
echo "== Difference is not greater"
fi

The above mentioned code was suggested by vgersh99. But the same code works well if I execute the script as . script.sh
I would prefer executing the script as sh script.sh since if I use exit command inside the script it won't come out of unix but instead exit from the script.

Thanks
Shash

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dividing the screen >>>

Hi! Is there is any way to divide the screen when I use UNIX shells (I have RedHat 7.1)? I have to see the command promt and process some data from very long file at the same time (I work with PThreads). Some "pseudo-windows" in text mode, huh? =) Thanks in advance and don't be angry =) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShockTeam
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two float values

I am trying to compare 2 float values using if the foll code does not work a=1.4 b=1.6 if test $a -gt $b then echo "$a is max" else echo "$b is max" fi does -gt work for floating point numbers, if not how do go about for my requirement? can i use bc ? pls help thanks in advance... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavitha
2 Replies

3. Programming

math.h: float ceilf(float x)

Good morning, I'm testing the use of ceilf: /*Filename: str.c*/ #include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> int main (void) { float ceilf(float x); int dev=3, result=0; float tmp = 3.444f; printf("Result: %f\n",ceilf(tmp)); return 0; } (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonas.gabriel
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH if statement using FLOAT values

Today I spent longer than I'd like to admit figuring out how to write a Bourne shell IF statement that tests a FLOAT value before executing a block of statements. Here's the solution I found, which invokes bc. Hope this will come in handy for someone: value = testval = if then body... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjepsen
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Get Minimun from a Float values

Hi Guys, here is a part of my source code. This part is reponsible to get the minimun of a few values: .......... MAX=0.00 for a in `cat $OFILE` do if then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paat
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing two files and dividing the values

Hi all, I am new to unix and I am trying hard to get this requirement, but no luck. I am trying to compare two cloumns in two files and if it matches, the last column in file1 must be divided by file2 and the output must be written in a new file. To elaborate the 2nd column in file1 (EUR) must be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smadderla
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues when dividing

Hi, I do have a very simple task to divide 2 variables and display the result. I CANNOT use bc when i try var1=2 var2=4 var3=$(($var1 / $var2)) echo $var3 the output is always 0 What can I change to get a dotted decimal result such as 0.5 ? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svetoslav_sj
5 Replies

8. Programming

Printing float values in C

Hi, I have small problem to print float value in the fallowing code float Cx, W,f=250000, Cr=92.00,pi=3.14; W=2*pi*f; Cx = 1/W.Cr; //Cx value will be come around like 7.07E-9. printf("capacitance value: %.10f",Cx); I am trying to print Cx value using above code but it was not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: veerubiji
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dividing by zero

Does anyone know how to include as a script maybe an "echo" warning that explains that if a user uses the second number "zero" when dividing, that the result will BE "zero." I need, example: 5/0 (second number) = 0, in script form. current script: echo "Enter a number" read num1 echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jefferj54
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dividing values within rows with awk?

Hello everyone, I have a dataset that looks like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 I was wondering if was possible to divide values within rows: 1/2 3/4 5/6 I don't think using awk -F"\t" '{ print $1/$2 }' would work here, or would it? Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rabu
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-akq] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
January 22, 2004 BSD