Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Performance inquiry...guestimate better approach Post 302102968 by DreamWarrior on Monday 15th of January 2007 03:45:03 PM
Old 01-15-2007
Oh...I just got another idea too....

I could continue with the current methodology and have free lists for each queue protected by the queue's own mutex. However, to make it not wasteful I could "shuttle" free items from one queue to another only when I'd otherwise do a malloc in that queue's group. Sooner or later things would balance out as each group of queues acquired enough items to support its existance and then they'd never malloc again, just recycle their own free list. Of course...then I may as well not even do the shuttling and just let them balance out on their own. Hummm...pros and cons here too as this is an API and I don't really know how the groups of threads will be used.

Hummm...... Interesting, but still not ideal. Maybe I'm just overthinking it and malloc and free would be more than fine. I wonder what their real overhead is anyway.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uniX iNQUIry from a newbie

hi, i would like to study unix but i don't have the software for me to test the scripts that i read from the book and from the internet. I would like to ask anyones help to please tell me link wer i can download for free the unix system. I would be glad to receive your replies. thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: youdexter
2 Replies

2. Web Development

Suggested tool / approach for performance testing

What is a good approach for a performance testing tool suite for web applications? I am specifically interested in tools that execute a certain set of tasks well as opposed to tuning high traffic sites. In other words, a profiler would be a good idea to have, although I understand these tools are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

Firewall / Network isolation inquiry

Good morning folks, A good friend of mine has a network where every host has two paths to the file servers (two NICs & two networks for all hosts). Normally speaking, one network will be used for regular application traffic - license servers, itunes library, collaboration tools - while the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: avronius
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Offline Agents Inquiry.

Hello, I currently use Solaris, and typically I use the svcs -a | grep PROCESS to see if it's online or Offline. My questions is SVCS is in solaris but if I want to find out if a daemon or process is offline what other methods can I use? ps -ef | grep PROCESS "what do I look for" or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inquiry on Grabbing info from file.

Here is another script I am trying to customize currently, this script is used to send me disk space information, but at the moment I have to enter all the servers in manually SERVER= "xxx bbb ccc" ect.. how can I script it so that the servers are called off a txt file versus me entering all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Inquiry

Hi Everyone! I'm new with UNIX,so, sorry if this question seems really dumb.:( Anyway, I'd just like if it's possible to automatically inform someone (via mail or pop-up box or something) that a file has been recently uploaded/received to the UNIX box? If it is, any advice on how to get that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jam04
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Inquiry for Automatic Sending

Hi Everyone! I'm new with UNIX,so, sorry if this question seems really dumb.:( Anyway, I'd just like if it's possible to automatically inform someone (via mail or pop-up box or something) that a file has been recently uploaded/received to the UNIX box? If it is, any advice on how to get that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jam04
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX inquiry for 'awk'

Hello Everyone, May I ask for your help regarding one of the UNIX command “awk”. So I executed a script and the output looks like this (see below): output.txt CONTRACTNAME ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: steven_huskie
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Sun Server and Solaris 7 Inquiry

Greetings! Will be firing up the good ole pizza box, soon. Does anyone know if Solaris 7 is still okay to use? Last time I attempted was 2006. Thank you in advance, ControlTomato (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ControlTomato
6 Replies
bsdmalloc(3MALLOC)														bsdmalloc(3MALLOC)

NAME
bsdmalloc - memory allocator SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lbsdmalloc [ library ... ] char *malloc(size); unsigned size; int free( ptr); char *ptr; char *realloc( ptr, size); char *ptr; unsigned size; These routines provide a general-purpose memory allocation package. They maintain a table of free blocks for efficient allocation and coa- lescing of free storage. When there is no suitable space already free, the allocation routines call sbrk(2) to get more memory from the system. Each of the allocation routines returns a pointer to space suitably aligned for storage of any type of object. Each returns a null pointer if the request cannot be completed. The malloc() function returns a pointer to a block of at least size bytes, which is appropriately aligned. The free() function releases a previously allocated block. Its argument is a pointer to a block previously allocated by malloc() or real- loc(). The free() function does not set errno. The realloc() function changes the size of the block pointed to by ptr to size bytes and returns a pointer to the (possibly moved) block. The contents will be unchanged up to the lesser of the new and old sizes. If the new size of the block requires movement of the block, the space for the previous instantiation of the block is freed. If the new size is larger, the contents of the newly allocated portion of the block are unspecified. If ptr is NULL, realloc() behaves like malloc() for the specified size. If size is 0 and ptr is not a null pointer, the space pointed to is freed. The malloc() and realloc() functions return a null pointer if there is not enough available memory. They return a non-null pointer if size is 0. These pointers should not be dereferenced. When realloc() returns NULL, the block pointed to by ptr is left intact. Always cast the value returned by malloc() and realloc(). If malloc() or realloc() returns unsuccessfully, errno will be set to indicate the following: ENOMEM size bytes of memory cannot be allocated because it exceeds the physical limits of the system. EAGAIN There is not enough memory available at this point in time to allocate size bytes of memory; but the application could try again later. Using realloc() with a block freed before the most recent call to malloc() or realloc() results in an error. Comparative features of the various allocation libraries can be found in the umem_alloc(3MALLOC) manual page. brk(2), malloc(3C), malloc(3MALLOC), mapmalloc(3MALLOC), umem_alloc(3MALLOC) WARNINGS
Use of libbsdmalloc renders an application non-SCD compliant. The libbsdmalloc routines are incompatible with the memory allocation routines in the standard C-library (libc): malloc(3C), alloca(3C), calloc(3C), free(3C), memalign(3C), realloc(3C), and valloc(3C). 21 Mar 2005 bsdmalloc(3MALLOC)