Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers using cat and grep to display missing records Post 302102789 by Ygor on Saturday 13th of January 2007 12:45:26 AM
Old 01-13-2007
Try...
Code:
$ head file[12]
==> file1 <==
aaa
ccc
eee
ggg
hhh
kkk

==> file2 <==
aaa
ddd
ggg
kkk

$ grep -v -f file2 file1
ccc
eee
hhh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting records with a missing field

I had to delete rows when a record was missing a field. My solution was cut -c 202-402 ${dataFile} | awk '{if (substr($0,103,30) !~ /^ *$/) print $0} >> ${workFile} The cut is because they came two records to a row. Anyone want to offer a more elegant solution? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillbates
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep/cat/more -- search in a txt file and display content from a specific "keyword"

Hi, I have a .txt file Sample: ===================== NEXT HOST ===================== AEADBAS001 ip access-list extended BLA_Incoming_Filter ip access-list extended BLA_Outgoing_Filter access-list 1 permit xxxxxxxxxxxxxx access-list 2 permit xxxxxxxxxxxxxx =====================... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Display a range of values in the output of cat

When I use this command I get an output of some numbers cat ac.20070511 | cut -d" " -f19 Is there any way for me to display only the numbers that are greater than 1000 but not all the numbers in the ouput. Can any one help me with this. :) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_nbk
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent: How can i get the missing records from one file out of two

Hi, I have two files say A and B, Both files have some common records few records which are unique to file A and unique to file B. Can anyone please help me out to find the records which are present in only B Please consider the files are of too large size. Thanks:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shiv@jad
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display variables in CAT area

Hi All, I've got a script to output YAML data, and I want to display data that's held inside variables inside one large CAT area. What's the easiest way to do this? cat << "END" --- classes: - general_image - $intro #Variable 1 - $mid #Variable 2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glarizza
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat redirect EOF missing text

Hello attempting to redirect out to create a startup script in solaris. The steps are working but the $1 entry is being left out. syntax below and content of output file below. cat > S99build << EOF > #!/bin/bash > case $1 in > 'start') > /usr/os-buildsol.sh > > ;; > esac > exit 0 >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juanb25
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract data and display the missing value

Hi, I have thousands of data in 1 file that need to be sorted out. My file is like below:- File1.txt condition 1 scaf_27 CDS 48317 48517 "e_gww2.27.12.1" Id 35277 scaf_27 stop_cod 48317 48319 "e_gww2.27.12.1" scaf_27 CDS 48518 49107 "e_gww2.27.12.1" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script with ^M causes display issue with cat or more

I have a script to do a couple simple but repetitive commands on files that are provided to us. One of the things is to get rid of the line feeds. This is the section that is causing problems, i even cut this section into its own file to make sure nothing else was affecting it. #!/usr/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding missing records and Dups

I have a fixed width file. The records looks something similar to below: Type ID SSN NAME .....AND SOME MORE FIELDS A1 1234 ..... A1 1234 ..... B1 1234 ..... M2 4567 ..... M2 4567 ..... N2 4567 ..... N2 4567 ..... A1 9999 N2 9999 Now if A1 is present then B1 has to be present.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
2 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - print differences between two files SYNOPSIS
diff [-c | -e | -C n] [-br]file1 file2 OPTIONS
-C n Produce output that contains n lines of context -b Ignore white space when comparing -c Produce output that contains three lines of context -e Produce an ed-script to convert file1 into file2 -r Apply diff recursively to files and directories of EXAMPLES
diff file1 file2 # Print differences between 2 files diff -C 0 file1 file2 # Same as above diff -C 3 file1 file2 # Output three lines of context with every diff -c file1 file2 # Same diff /etc /dev # Compares recursively the directories /etc and /dev diff passwd /etc # Compares ./passwd to /etc/passwd DESCRIPTION
the same name, when file1 and file2 are both directories" difference encountered" Diff compares two files and generates a list of lines telling how the two files differ. Lines may not be longer than 128 characters. If the two arguments on the command line are both directories, diff recursively steps through all subdirectories comparing files of the same name. If a file name is found only in one directory, a diagnostic message is written to stdout. A file that is of either block special, character special or FIFO special type, cannot be compared to any other file. On the other hand, if there is one directory and one file given on the command line, diff tries to compare the file with the same name as file in the directory directory. SEE ALSO
cdiff(1), cmp(1), comm(1), patch(1). DIFF(1)