Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting simple perl script not working Post 302102508 by Perderabo on Thursday 11th of January 2007 01:02:54 AM
Old 01-11-2007
Why on earth did you add that backslash??? Now perl can't see $_ so the shell gets it. And yes it works right when you remove the backslash so perl can process it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why this simple script, is not working ?

Hi everybody I want to create 20 file using simple script - listed bellow-. But the script doesn't work. I hope anyone guide me to correct this script ---------------- The script integer number=01 until (($number==21)) do >TELE-LOG-$number number=$number+01 echo $number done exit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: so_friendly
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple BASH script not working?

So I need a script that does the following: If a certain user is logged in Run `command` Else Echo “incorrect user” This is my first stab...which doesn't work: #!/bin/bash X="user=`ls -l /dev/console | cut -d " " -f 4`" Y="foobar" echo $X echo $Y (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubleminus
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple cgi script not working

hi all, i have installed simple cgi-script under apache/cgi-bin directory hello.cgi #!/usr/bin/perl print "Content-type: text/html\n\n"; print <<END_HTML; <html> <head></head> <body>Hello, World!</body> </html> END_HTML when i hit the url... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to run the simple perl script

Hi Experts, I have written simple perl script, which assign the value to variable and print it. Following is the script: $ cat 3.pl #!/usr/bin/env ksh #!/usr/bin/perl print "Hello World"; $iputlne = 34; print $iputlne; The error output is: $ /usr/bin/env perl 3.pl Hello World... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
9 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Simple Perl/Python Script

I have the following problem, which I need done in Perl/ or Python using Unix/linux filters... 1. You have a very large file, named 'ColCheckMe', tab-delmited, that you are asked to process. You are told that each line in 'ColCheckMe' has 7 columns, and that the values... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Swapnilsagarwal
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple script to alert if internet not working?

Hi, I am constantly automaticaly downloading a few things on the internet but since my internet connection is unstable, it sometimes wont work. Thing is the internet will appear to be connected, but no website can be accessed and no program can successfully connect to any location. I can fix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fuzzylogic25
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hopefully a simple script, bash or perl...

I'm attempting to parse a file whose contents follow this format; 4:/eula.1028.txt: 8:/eula.1031.txt: 19:/eula.1033.txt: 23:/eula.1036.txt: 27:/eula.1040.txt: 31:/eula.1041.txt: 35:/eula.1042.txt: 39:/eula.2052.txt: 43:/eula.3082.txt: The number of lines of the file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CudaPrime
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Simple script not working- for loop

Hi all, Please guide me writing this script Follwing is the file which I have created, which contains the files to be copied. cat system1-dr.txt /etc/passwd /etc/shadow /etc/group /etc/vfstab /etc/profile /etc/default/init /etc/shells /etc/dfs/dfstab /etc/dfs/sharetab... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple sftp script not working - Please help

I have the below sftp script to transfer a file from a linux host(source) to another linux host(target). Public key is already set up in target host and I am able to transfer file using sftp from source to target. But not sure why the below script(ftp_script) is not working. Any help in this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Armaan
3 Replies
Text::ParseWords(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				     Text::ParseWords(3pm)

NAME
Text::ParseWords - parse text into an array of tokens or array of arrays SYNOPSIS
use Text::ParseWords; @lists = &nested_quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = &quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = &shellwords(@lines); @words = &parse_line($delim, $keep, $line); @words = &old_shellwords(@lines); # DEPRECATED! DESCRIPTION
The &nested_quotewords() and &quotewords() functions accept a delimiter (which can be a regular expression) and a list of lines and then breaks those lines up into a list of words ignoring delimiters that appear inside quotes. &quotewords() returns all of the tokens in a single long list, while &nested_quotewords() returns a list of token lists corresponding to the elements of @lines. &parse_line() does tokenizing on a single string. The &*quotewords() functions simply call &parse_lines(), so if you're only splitting one line you can call &parse_lines() directly and save a function call. The $keep argument is a boolean flag. If true, then the tokens are split on the specified delimiter, but all other characters (quotes, backslashes, etc.) are kept in the tokens. If $keep is false then the &*quotewords() functions remove all quotes and backslashes that are not themselves backslash-escaped or inside of single quotes (i.e., &quotewords() tries to interpret these characters just like the Bourne shell). NB: these semantics are significantly different from the original version of this module shipped with Perl 5.000 through 5.004. As an additional feature, $keep may be the keyword "delimiters" which causes the functions to preserve the delimiters in each string as tokens in the token lists, in addition to preserving quote and backslash characters. &shellwords() is written as a special case of &quotewords(), and it does token parsing with whitespace as a delimiter-- similar to most Unix shells. EXAMPLES
The sample program: use Text::ParseWords; @words = &quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is "a test" of quotewords "for you}); $i = 0; foreach (@words) { print "$i: <$_> "; $i++; } produces: 0: <this> 1: <is> 2: <a test> 3: <of quotewords> 4: <"for> 5: <you> demonstrating: 0 a simple word 1 multiple spaces are skipped because of our $delim 2 use of quotes to include a space in a word 3 use of a backslash to include a space in a word 4 use of a backslash to remove the special meaning of a double-quote 5 another simple word (note the lack of effect of the backslashed double-quote) Replacing "&quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is...})" with "&shellwords(q{this is...})" is a simpler way to accomplish the same thing. AUTHORS
Maintainer is Hal Pomeranz <pomeranz@netcom.com>, 1994-1997 (Original author unknown). Much of the code for &parse_line() (including the primary regexp) from Joerk Behrends <jbehrends@multimediaproduzenten.de>. Examples section another documentation provided by John Heidemann <johnh@ISI.EDU> Bug reports, patches, and nagging provided by lots of folks-- thanks everybody! Special thanks to Michael Schwern <schwern@envirolink.org> for assuring me that a &nested_quotewords() would be useful, and to Jeff Friedl <jfriedl@yahoo-inc.com> for telling me not to worry about error-checking (sort of-- you had to be there). perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 Text::ParseWords(3pm)