Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sendmail & SMTP
Operating Systems Solaris Sendmail & SMTP Post 302102392 by KenLynch on Wednesday 10th of January 2007 06:48:57 AM
Old 01-10-2007
Hi Guys,

After much scratching of head I edited the /etc/mail/submit.cf file and changed the default MTA host from localhost to mailhost.

Changed from:

D{MTAHost}localhost

To ....

D{MTAHost}mailhost

I tried my script again and this time while it does appear to be trying to connect to the mailhost it is throwing up some new messages.

me@domain.ie... Connecting to mailhost via relay...
220 gran.netsource.ie ESMTP Spammers are not welcome here! Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:34:10 +0000
>>> EHLO servername.domain
250-gran.netsource.ie Hello servername.domain [xxx.xx.xx.x]
250-SIZE 62914560
250-PIPELINING
250 HELP
>>> MAIL From:<root@servername.domain> SIZE=194
250 <root@servername.domain> is syntactically correct
>>> RCPT To:<me@domain.ie>
>>> DATA
250 <me@domain.ie> verified
354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
>>> .
550-Could not verify sender
550 rejected: cannot route to sender <root@servername.domain>
>>> RSET
250 Reset OK
root... Using cached ESMTP connection to mailhost via relay...
>>> MAIL From:<> SIZE=1218
250 <> is syntactically correct
>>> RCPT To:<root@servername.domain>
>>> DATA
550 Cannot route to <root@servername.domain>
503 Valid RCPT TO <recipient> must precede DATA
>>> RSET
250 Reset OK
>>> RSET
250 Reset OK
postmaster... Using cached ESMTP connection to mailhost via relay...
>>> MAIL From:<> SIZE=2242
250 <> is syntactically correct
>>> RCPT To:<postmaster@servername.domain>
>>> DATA
550 Cannot route to <postmaster@servername.domain>
503 Valid RCPT TO <recipient> must precede DATA
>>> RSET
250 Reset OK
Jan 10 11:36:39 servername sendmail[6017]: [ID 801593 mail.alert] l0ABabrN006017: Losing ./qfl0ABabrN006017: savemail panic
Closing connection to mailhost
>>> QUIT
221 gran.netsource.ie closing connection

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Cheers muckers ....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

SMTP with sendmail

Hi, I have a solaris 9 box, and 2 domains A.com and B.net. the machine is on B.net. I am not able to send emails to @A.com using mail or mailx. after reading on sendmail, there was something about relaying and editing the file /etc/mail/relay-domains. Please let me know if this is what i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Enabling sendmail with SMTP

Hi all, I want to send mails through Sendmail using SMTP server, Pls how to set that A.S.A.P. Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adel8483
2 Replies

3. SCO

SCO 5.0.7 Sendmail. Need help on how to configure SMTP

Did anyone know or can provide some instructions on how to setup smtp for sendmail. All I need to do is email files from sco thru my ISP smtp provider. please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: miles556
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail? Mailx? SMTP?

We require e-mails to come from one of our Solaris 10 boxes ASAP and have found that when using such things as Sendmail and Mailx all the mail goes to a Q that only fires every 15 minutes. We have tried everything we could think of to adjust this to force the Q to go every 1 minute but so far no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Sendmail (& attachment)

Hi, This is my first thread. Iam trying the following: OS: Sun Database: DB2, Informix, Oracle * Get the status of the database (using database command line options) * pipe to a text file * send mail of the text file to receiptents. TODO1: First step i tried to send a test message.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenkanya
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send email from sendmail on AIX using exchange server as SMTP server

i am new in AIX i am trying to write a script to take a backup for specific files on server to and check error log if backup success send email to administrator , script done except for sending mail , i try to configure sendmail on aix to use our exchange server to send emails but still get error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_salah
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't configure sendmail to send mails to external SMTP Server

Hi all,I know, that this is very common issue, but I can't find where is the problem... I have Solaris 10 installed.I want to send mail to external SMTP server, like:echo "letter body"| mailx -s "subject" test@test.comBut I donno what kind of changes I have to do in /etc/hosts and sendmail.cf or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nypreH
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to setup Sendmail as SMTP Relay?

Hi Guys, I want to setup sendmail using my username and password on my ISP to be able to send out messages. I'm using Linux. So far, what I've done is modified the sendmail.mc with the following changes: define(`SMART_HOST',`myispsmtpoutgoingserver') FEATURE(authinfo)dnl In my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
0 Replies

9. Solaris

How to make smtp:sendmail online from maintenance mode?

Hi Everyone, when i type "svcs -a | grep sendmail" it is giving the below output. $ svcs -a | grep sendmail disabled Nov_05 svc:/network/sendmail-client:default maintenance 10:31:52 svc:/network/smtp:sendmail Can anyone help me that how to bring svc:/network/smtp:sendmail in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sun4Oracle
10 Replies

10. Solaris

Configure sendmail with SMTP

Hello, I'm trying to configure sendmail with SMTP authentication on a SunOS 5.11 operating system. I have been read various documentation / tutorials and unfortunately is not working. I need help from someone who has configured smtp on this operating system. When I try to send a mail, I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d4rkm4nx99
2 Replies
Net::Server::Mail::SMTP(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			      Net::Server::Mail::SMTP(3pm)

NAME
Net::Server::Mail::SMTP - A module to implement the SMTP protocole SYNOPSIS
use Net::Server::Mail::SMTP; my @local_domains = qw(example.com example.org); my $server = new IO::Socket::INET Listen => 1, LocalPort => 25; my $conn; while($conn = $server->accept) { my $smtp = new Net::Server::Mail::SMTP socket => $conn; $smtp->set_callback(RCPT => &validate_recipient); $smtp->set_callback(DATA => &queue_message); $smtp->process(); $conn->close() } sub validate_recipient { my($session, $recipient) = @_; my $domain; if($recipient =~ /@(.*)>s*$/) { $domain = $1; } if(not defined $domain) { return(0, 513, 'Syntax error.'); } elsif(not(grep $domain eq $_, @local_domains)) { return(0, 554, "$recipient: Recipient address rejected: Relay access denied"); } return(1); } sub queue_message { my($session, $data) = @_; my $sender = $session->get_sender(); my @recipients = $session->get_recipients(); return(0, 554, 'Error: no valid recipients') unless(@recipients); my $msgid = add_queue($sender, @recipients, $data) or return(0); return(1, 250, "message queued $msgid"); } DESCRIPTION
This class implement the SMTP (RFC 821) protocol. Notice that it don't implement the extension mechanism introduce in RFC 2821. You have to use Net::Server::Mail::ESMTP if you want this capability. This class inherit from Net::Server::Mail. Please see Net::Server::Mail for documentation of common methods. METHODS
SMTP specific methods. get_sender Returns the sender of the current session. Return undefined if the reverse path step is not complete. get_recipients Returns the list of recipients supplied by client. Returns undef if forward_path step is not engaged. Returns an empty list if not recipients succeed. EVENTS
Descriptions of callback who's can be used with set_callback method. All handle takes the Net::Server::Mail::SMTP object as first argument and specific callback's arguments. HELO Takes the hostname given as argument. Engage the reverse path step on success. sub helo_handle { my($session, $hostname) = @_; if($hostname eq 'localhost') { return(0, 553, q(I don't like this hostname, try again.)); } # don't forgot to return a success reply if you are happy with # command's value return 1; } NOOP This handler takes no argument EXPN Command not yet implemented. Handler takes address as argument. EXPN Command not implemented, deprecated by RFC 2821 Handler takes no argument. VRFY Command not yet implemented. Handler takes address as argument. HELP Command not yet implemented. Handler takes a command name as argument. MAIL Handler takes address as argument. On success, engage the forward path step and keep the given address for later use (get it with get_sender() method). RCPT Handler takes address as argument. On success, engage the mail data path step and push the given address into the recipient list for later use (get it with get_recipients() method). SEND Command not implemented. Handler takes no argument. SOML Command not implemented. Handler takes no argument. SAML Command not implemented. Handler takes no argument. DATA This handler is called after the final . sent by client. It takes data as argument in a scalar reference. You should queue the message and reply with the queue ID. DATA-INIT This handler is called before enter in the "waiting for data" step. The default success reply is a 354 code telling the client to send the mail content. DATA-PART This handler is called at each parts of mail content sent. It takes as argument a scalar reference to the part of data received. It is deprecated to change the contents of this scalar. RSET Handler takes no argument. On success, all step are initialized and sender/recipients list are flushed. QUIT Handler takes no argument. Connection is closed after this command. This behavior may change in future, you will probably be able to control the closing of connection. SEE ALSO
Please, see Net::Server::Mail, Net::Server::Mail::ESMTP and Net::Server::Mail::LMTP. AUTHOR
Olivier Poitrey <rs@rhapsodyk.net> AVAILABILITY
Available on CPAN. anonymous SVN repository: svn co https://emailproject.perl.org/svn/Net-Server-Mail SVN repository on the web: http://emailproject.perl.org/svn/Net-Server-Mail/ BUGS
Please use CPAN system to report a bug (http://rt.cpan.org/). LICENCE
This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Lesser General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 - Olivier Poitrey, 2007 - Xavier Guimard perl v5.10.0 2008-03-17 Net::Server::Mail::SMTP(3pm)