Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sendmail & SMTP
Operating Systems Solaris Sendmail & SMTP Post 302102350 by sysgate on Wednesday 10th of January 2007 02:20:32 AM
Old 01-10-2007
uh, it really depends....The strangest thing is that you don't receive any errors, so that we can trooubleshoot and give some suggestions...
This "Connecting to localhost via relay" I had fixed with another trick a while ago, with making a symbolic link between "sendmail.cf" and "submit.cf", but the error message was different. In your case I would ask you to check for relevant info in your .mc file : at the bottom there should be two lines :
MAILER(local) and MAILER(smtp). Also you may check in your source files for any obvious errors, and alternatively, try to rebuild the sendmail using macros options. The other thing is the ISP's mail server, can you ask them for more logs ? Did you try other mail recepients where you can verify for sure that your mail is not being received ? Otherwise I'm afraid I'm out of ideas for now, but I'm willing to help with mail issues, knowing my bitter experience when started administering mail servers few years ago.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

SMTP with sendmail

Hi, I have a solaris 9 box, and 2 domains A.com and B.net. the machine is on B.net. I am not able to send emails to @A.com using mail or mailx. after reading on sendmail, there was something about relaying and editing the file /etc/mail/relay-domains. Please let me know if this is what i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Enabling sendmail with SMTP

Hi all, I want to send mails through Sendmail using SMTP server, Pls how to set that A.S.A.P. Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adel8483
2 Replies

3. SCO

SCO 5.0.7 Sendmail. Need help on how to configure SMTP

Did anyone know or can provide some instructions on how to setup smtp for sendmail. All I need to do is email files from sco thru my ISP smtp provider. please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: miles556
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail? Mailx? SMTP?

We require e-mails to come from one of our Solaris 10 boxes ASAP and have found that when using such things as Sendmail and Mailx all the mail goes to a Q that only fires every 15 minutes. We have tried everything we could think of to adjust this to force the Q to go every 1 minute but so far no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Sendmail (& attachment)

Hi, This is my first thread. Iam trying the following: OS: Sun Database: DB2, Informix, Oracle * Get the status of the database (using database command line options) * pipe to a text file * send mail of the text file to receiptents. TODO1: First step i tried to send a test message.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenkanya
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send email from sendmail on AIX using exchange server as SMTP server

i am new in AIX i am trying to write a script to take a backup for specific files on server to and check error log if backup success send email to administrator , script done except for sending mail , i try to configure sendmail on aix to use our exchange server to send emails but still get error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_salah
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't configure sendmail to send mails to external SMTP Server

Hi all,I know, that this is very common issue, but I can't find where is the problem... I have Solaris 10 installed.I want to send mail to external SMTP server, like:echo "letter body"| mailx -s "subject" test@test.comBut I donno what kind of changes I have to do in /etc/hosts and sendmail.cf or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nypreH
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to setup Sendmail as SMTP Relay?

Hi Guys, I want to setup sendmail using my username and password on my ISP to be able to send out messages. I'm using Linux. So far, what I've done is modified the sendmail.mc with the following changes: define(`SMART_HOST',`myispsmtpoutgoingserver') FEATURE(authinfo)dnl In my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
0 Replies

9. Solaris

How to make smtp:sendmail online from maintenance mode?

Hi Everyone, when i type "svcs -a | grep sendmail" it is giving the below output. $ svcs -a | grep sendmail disabled Nov_05 svc:/network/sendmail-client:default maintenance 10:31:52 svc:/network/smtp:sendmail Can anyone help me that how to bring svc:/network/smtp:sendmail in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sun4Oracle
10 Replies

10. Solaris

Configure sendmail with SMTP

Hello, I'm trying to configure sendmail with SMTP authentication on a SunOS 5.11 operating system. I have been read various documentation / tutorials and unfortunately is not working. I need help from someone who has configured smtp on this operating system. When I try to send a mail, I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d4rkm4nx99
2 Replies
mailstats(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      mailstats(8)

NAME
mailstats - Displays statistics about mail traffic SYNOPSIS
mailstats [-o] [-C cffile [-f stfile] FLAGS
Do not display the name of the mailer in the output. Use cffile as the name of the sendmail "cf" file instead of /var/adm/sendmail/send- mail.cf. Use stfile as the input statistics file instead of /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.st. DESCRIPTION
The mailstats command reads the information in the /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.st file (or in the file specified with the -f flag), formats it, and writes it to standard output. Note also that you can change the location of the sendmail.st file by editing its pathname in the sendmail.cf file. EXAMPLES
The format of the information is shown in the following example, in which the first field (M) contains a number that indicates the position of that mailer in the sendmail.cf file, starting at 0 (zero). For example, the first mailer in the sendmail.cf file corresponds to the number 0 in the mailstats display, the second mailer corresponds to the number 1, and so on. Statistics from Thu Feb 17 11:20:01 2000 M msgsfr bytes_from msgsto bytes_to msgsrej msgsdis Mailer 1 50 77K 1 3K 0 0 local 6 43 59K 58 99K 0 0 smtp ============================================================ T 93 136K 59 102K 0 0 The fields in the report have the following meanings: Indicates the position of the mailer in the sendmail.cf file. Indicates the number of messages received by the local machine from the indicated mailer. Indicates the number of bytes in the messages received by the local machine from the indicated mailer. Indicates the number of messages sent from the local machine using the indicated mailer. Indicates the number of bytes in the messages sent from the local machine using the indicated mailer. Indicates the number of rejected messages. Indicates the number of discarded messages. Indicates the name of the mailer. If sendmail transmits mail directly to a file, such as the dead.letter file or an alias target, the message and byte counts are credited to the prog mailer, as defined in the sendmail.cf file. However, mailstats will still default to var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.st. FILES
Specifies the command path Contains system statistics Contains configuration information for sendmail RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: sendmail(8) delim off mailstats(8)