Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: untaring multiple files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting untaring multiple files Post 302102317 by blowtorch on Tuesday 9th of January 2007 07:28:33 PM
Old 01-09-2007
Hi rinceboy, from the Solaris tar man page:
Quote:
The tar command archives and extracts files to and from a
single file called a tarfile.
Note the words 'single file'. If you have to extract from multiple files, just run the files through a for loop.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Untaring *.tar.tar files

Hi all, How to untar a file with .tar.tar extension. A utility that i downloaded from net had this extension. Thanks in advance, bubeshj. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubeshj
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using AWK: Extract data from multiple files and output to multiple new files

Hi, I'd like to process multiple files. For example: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Each file contains several lines of data. I want to extract a piece of data and output it to a new file. file1.txt ----> newfile1.txt file2.txt ----> newfile2.txt file3.txt ----> newfile3.txt Here is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively UNTARing and then TARing back

I've just finished writing a shell script that searches for a string recursively in all text files and replace them with another string. Now, all these files come from a location nested deep within some TAR files which are inside another mother TAR. To make my script work, we had been UNTARing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: exchequer598
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, multiple files input and multiple files output

Hi! I'm new in awk and I need some help. I have a folder with a lot of files and I need that awk do something in each file and print a new file with the output. The input file name should be modified when I print the outpu files. Thanks in advance for help! :-) ciao (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabrysfe
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem untaring gzip

I'm having an issue extracting my tar.gz file. I am trying to compress all directories based on their last modified date (particularly their last modified month), and move them to a different directory by month. When I run my script everything seems to work ok and my compressed file gets moved to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in Untaring the Tar files Script

I have written a below script to untar the tar files from /tmp/tarfiles/ directory. # cat /tmp/tarfiles/script.sh #!/bin/sh cd /tmp/tarfiles/ TFL="tar_files_list.txt" TCF="tar_completed_list.txt" ls -l *.tar | awk '{print $9}' > $TFL for i in `cat $TFL` do if then for j in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasraj87
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column extraction from multiple files to multiple files

I have roughly ~30 .txt files in a directory which all have unique names. These files all contain text arranged in columns separated by whitespace (example file: [#YY MM DD hh mm WDIR WSPD GST WVHT DPD APD MWD PRES ATMP WTMP DEWP VIS TIDE #yr mo dy hr mn degT m/s m/s m sec ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aozgaa
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run one script on multiple files and print out multiple files.

How can I run the following command on multiple files and print out the corresponding multiple files. perl script.pl genome.gff 1.txt > 1.gff However, there are multiples files of 1.txt, from 1----100.txt Thank you so much. No duplicate posting! Continue here. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: grace_shen
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run one script on multiple files and print out multiple files.

How can I Run one script on multiple files and print out multiple files. FOR EXAMPLE i want to run script.pl on 100 files named 1.txt ....100.txt under same directory and print out corresponding file 1.gff ....100.gff.THANKS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grace_shen
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep strings on multiple files and output to multiple files

Hi All, I want to use egrep on multiple files and the results should be output to multiple files. I am using the below code in my shell script(working in Ksh shell). However with this code I am not attaining the desired results. #!/bin/ksh ( a="/path/file1" b="path/file2" for file in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
4 Replies
deb-old(5)							    dpkg suite								deb-old(5)

NAME
deb-old - old style Debian binary package format SYNOPSIS
filename.deb DESCRIPTION
The .deb format is the Debian binary package file format. This manual page describes the old format, used before Debian 0.93. Please see deb(5) for details of the new format. FORMAT
The file is two lines of format information as ASCII text, followed by two concatenated gzipped ustar files. The first line is the format version number padded to 8 digits, and is 0.939000 for all old-format archives. The second line is a decimal string (without leading zeroes) giving the length of the first gzipped tarfile. Each of these lines is terminated with a single newline character. The first tarfile contains the control information, as a series of ordinary files. The file control must be present, as it contains the core control information. In some very old archives, the files in the control tarfile may optionally be in a DEBIAN subdirectory. In that case, the DEBIAN subdirectory will be in the control tarfile too, and the control tarfile will have only files in that directory. Optionally the control tarfile may contain an entry for '.', that is, the current directory. The second gzipped tarfile is the filesystem archive, containing pathnames relative to the root directory of the system to be installed on. The pathnames do not have leading slashes. SEE ALSO
deb(5), dpkg-deb(1), deb-control(5). 1.19.0.5 2018-04-16 deb-old(5)