Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers what is the default password for those build-in accounts? Post 302102309 by _Spare_Ribs_ on Tuesday 9th of January 2007 05:07:55 PM
Old 01-09-2007
you can look in the /etc/passwd file and that will show you what home directory, default shell and so on is set for each user. It will also let you know whether the user is allowed to login or not.

Here is a sample from my /etc/passwd file

Code:
wwwrun:x:30:8:WWW daemon apache:/var/lib/wwwrun:/bin/false
ftp:x:40:49:FTP account:/srv/ftp:/bin/bash
postfix:x:51:51:Postfix Daemon:/var/spool/postfix:/bin/false
sshd:x:71:65:SSH daemon:/var/lib/sshd:/bin/false
ntp:x:74:65534:NTP daemon:/var/lib/ntp:/bin/false

as you can see the default shell when they login is /bin/false which means they have no shell access. I suspect yours would look much the same although depnding on your version you may see /sbin/nologin as the default shell, all does the same thing essentially Smilie

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

default unix accounts

Hi, Can someone tell me what the default unix accounts are? And what is the default unix admin pwd? Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kandy19
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Does changing default password parms affect existing accounts in /etc/shadow?

Are the default password setting parameters (that are in /etc/login.defs) only used when a new local account is created on a server? It looks to me like a 'useradd userid1' command will look to the /etc/login.defs file to get default values for MINWEEKS MAXWEEKS and PASSLENGTH. If the parms are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msdjunk
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding SDK Build on Kernel Source Build

Hi, So I downloaded this kernel source and was able to build it successfully. But I want to add this SDK source code inside, can anyone help me how to do this? Note that the SDK source can be built by itself. I added the SDK in the main Makefile: init-y := init/ #added SDK... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
0 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Password encryption - migration user accounts from SuSe to RedHat

Hello guys, I'm currently working on replacing old server and it's migration from SuSe SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64) VERSION = 10 PATCHLEVEL = 4 to the RedHat Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.4 (Santiago) Problem seems be in migration of users passwords,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brusell
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Build.xml invocation by Build Script

Hi I have a build.xml file and I can run it on Windows via cmd. Now I want to write a script to invoke the same. Is there a way to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankur328
1 Replies
userstat(1M)															      userstat(1M)

NAME
userstat - check status of local user accounts SYNOPSIS
[parm]... [parm]... DESCRIPTION
checks the status of local user accounts and reports abnormal conditions, such as account locks. If any parm arguments are specified, abnormal status is displayed only for those parameters, otherwise abnormal status is displayed for all parameters. The section describes the various parameter values that can be used for parm. Each account with an abnormal status is displayed on a single line. Each line contains the username followed by one or more parameters, indicating what abnormal conditions exist for the account. The section describes the various parameters that can be displayed. Options The following options are recognized: Display the status of all users listed in (Quiet) Do not print anything to standard output. This can be used when interested only in the return value. Check the status of only the specified user name. The user must be a local user listed in Parameters The parameters that could be displayed to indicate abnormal account status, or that could be used with the option, include the following: is displayed if an administrator lock is present on the account. This lock indicates that the encrypted password in or begins with An administrator lock can be set, for example, with is displayed if the account is locked because the account expiration date has been reached. days is the number of days that the account has been expired. See the description of the expiration field in shadow(4). is displayed if the account's password has expired. days is the number of days that the password has been expired. days is displayed only if its value can be determined. is displayed if the account is locked because there have been no logins to the account for a time interval that exceeds the maximum allowed. days is the number of days that the account has been inactive. See the description of the attribute in security(4). is displayed if the account is locked because the number of consecutive authentication failures exceeded the maximum allowed. num is the number of consecutive authentication failures. See the description of the attribute in security(4). is displayed if the account is locked because the account has a null password and is not allowed to have a null password. See the description of the attribute in security(4). is displayed if the account has a time-of-day login restriction. times defines the time periods that the user may login. See the description of the attribute in security(4). Security Restrictions Users invoking this command must have the authorization. See authadm(1M). is not supported for trusted systems. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: did not find abnormal status found abnormal status invalid usage or user not found EXAMPLES
The following example reports all abnormal status for all local accounts. The following example shows that the account for user is not locked due to too many consecutive authentication failures. FILES
standard password file shadow password file user database SEE ALSO
authadm(1M), passwd(4), security(4), shadow(4), userdb(4). userstat(1M)