Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers command to remove last record on file Post 302102304 by mheinen on Tuesday 9th of January 2007 03:39:28 PM
Old 01-09-2007
Well, I'm constantly learning that there's multiple ways of doing things in the Unix world! I removed the 'cat' code from my script and ran it again redirecting the output to the new file name and it works the same way as
the other logic that I had used. Thanks again for the fast response and help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove duplicated xml record in a file under unix

Hi, If i have a file with xml format, i would like to remove duplicated records and save to a new file. Is it possible...to write script to do it? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove First and Last Record from a file

Hi All, Could some one help me how to delete first & last record from a file Thanks in Advance....... Regards Cherrry (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravikuc
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a particular record from a file?

Please tell me the command(s) to remove a particular record from the file and placing the rest of the record in a seperate file. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanu_pathak
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need a command to get part of a record from file

I have a file which contains a record like follows /dir1/dir2/dir3/file.dat I need command so that output can be only file.dat (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenusola
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command dropping last record in File

Hello: I wrote a sed statement that is inserting 3 variables at the beginning of each record in a comma-delimited file: for FILE in *gnrc_lkup.csv do c=`echo $FILE | cut -c1-3` d=`grep $c $RTLIST | cut -c4-6` e=`grep $c $RTLIST | cut -c7` f=`grep $c $RTLIST | cut -c8` sed -e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bheeke
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

To remove the record from a file

Hi , In need to remove the record marked in red My input is as below : 1|ETG|63121387883|Alternate|Y 2||| 3|79.58|||GBP|| 4|001137001 4|0011372 5|1021701 5|1021901 1|ETG|63121387884|Alternate|Y 2||| 3|79.58|||GBP|| 4|001137001 5|1021702 5|1021802 1|ETG|63128363077|Alternate|Y 2|||... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laxmi131
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove newline chars in each record of file

Hi, I have a fixed width file with record length 10. I need to remove multiple newline characters present in each record. EX: af\n72/7\n s\n3\nad\n 2\n\n33r\n In the above file I want to remove new lines in red color(\n) but not (\n) Please provide me a solution. Thanks, Sri (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove particular record from a file

Hi:), I am having 110 records in a file and I want to delete particular record (say 63rd) . Which command can be use to achieve this ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: devmns
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To remove a particular record from File

Dear Friends, Need your help to fix the issue we are facing. We have a requirement - Need to remove specific records from a comma separated file and create new file. It should check "filter.csv" file and then accordingly remove records from the input file and generate the output file.(not case... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SatishW
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove space from each record in file?

Hi , I want to remove space from each record in one file My file is like BUD, BDL ABC, DDD, ABC ABC, DDD, DDD, KKK The o/p should be BUD,BDL ABC,DDD,ABC ABC,DDD,DDD,KKK Can any one help me regarding this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
9 Replies
FLIP(1) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   FLIP(1)

NAME
flip, toms, toix - do newline conversions between **IX and MS-DOS SYNOPSIS
flip -h flip [ -umvtsbz] file ... flip [ -umvtsbz] - toix [ -vtsbz] file ... toms [ -vtsbz] file ... DESCRIPTION
flip is a file interchange program that converts text file formats between **ix and MS-DOS. It converts lines ending with carriage-return (CR) and linefeed (LF) to lines ending with just linefeed, or vice versa. If the special argument "-" is given, input is read from stdin and written to stdout. flip has the following features: flip will normally refuse to convert binary files. You can override this. When asked to convert a file to the same format that it already has, flip causes no change to the file. Thus to convert all files to **IX format you can type flip -u * and all files will end up right, regardless of whether they were in MS-DOS or in **IX format to begin with. This also works in the opposite direction. If a file contains isolated CR characters for underlining or overprinting, flip does not change them. flip preserves file timestamps. You can override this. flip preserves file permissions. flip is written in C and will compile and run under MS-DOS/Turbo C, 4.3BSD, and System V. flip accepts wildcards and multiple filenames on the command line. If a user interrupt aborts flip, it does not leave behind any garbage files or cause corruption of the files being converted. When converting from MS-DOS to **IX format, flip removes any trailing control Z (the last character in the file), but leaves embed- ded control Z characters unchanged. This minimizes the possibility of accidentally converting a binary file that contains a control Z near the beginning. You can override this and ask flip to recognize the first control Z found as end-of-file. flip can be asked to strip the high (parity) bit as it converts a file. flip is normally invoked as: flip -umhvtb file ... One of -u, -m, or -h is required. Switches may be given separately or combined together after a dash. For example, the three command lines given below are equivalent: flip -uvt *.c flip -u -v -t *.c flip -u -vt *.c On systems that allow a program to know its own name, flip may be renamed (or linked) to a file called toix for conversion to **IX format, or to a file called toms for conversion to MS-DOS format. When invoked with the name toix or toms, flip will act as if it were invoked with the -u or -m option respectively. OPTIONS
-u Convert to **IX format (CR LF => LF, lone CR or LF unchanged, trailing control Z removed, embedded control Z unchanged). -m Convert to MS-DOS format (lone LF => CR LF, lone CR unchanged). -h Give a help message. -v Be verbose, print filenames as they are processed. -t Touch files (don't preserve timestamps). -s Strip high bit. -b Convert binary files too (else binary files are left unchanged). -z Truncate file at first control Z encountered. AUTHOR
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1), dos2unix(1). Linux 2.0 July 20, 2002 FLIP(1)