Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unix from scratch
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users unix from scratch Post 302102302 by elzalem on Tuesday 9th of January 2007 03:26:14 PM
Old 01-09-2007
unix from scratch

hi all,
i'm trying to write a unix system from scratch (not re-writing the kernel)
does anyone have information about that? tips and stuff...?i would appreciate every help,
thnks Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

An X Window System from scratch

I'm currently using Gnome as my desktop environment (DE) but it's going kind of slow. My friend gave me the advice to skip the DE and only use a Window Manager. I took his suggestion one step further and decided to try building an X window system from scrath instead. But what are the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.P
3 Replies

2. Linux

Linux From Scratch

LFS (Linux From Scrath) it's tools for make own distribution. U know how create own distribution ?? thanks cYa (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kezzol
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Filesystem from scratch

Hey, Had anyone tried with writing a new FS - file system ( whether its useful or not, that doesn't matter ) ? I tried one couple of years ago, but that was a fatal failure :( and can't continue working on it since then. :( Anybody got some experience with writing file system from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Building from scratch - UNIX

Hi! Any knows if Unix (from IBM, Sun, HP, etc) is picky on hardwares? I mean, installing Unix (not Linux) on a custom build system? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: genesisX
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Building a Unix Server from Scratch?

Hello Everyone, This post is a result of my search and quest to build a Unix Server at Home. I am familiar with the most of the systems such as, Solaris 10, HP-UX & Linux. Can somebody help me with more information about How to Build a Unix Server right from Fundamentals.... ? I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vabiosis
5 Replies

6. Programming

Terminal emulator from scratch.

I wanna write a terminal emulator program from scratch. I downloaded the sources of xterm but they are too complex... I did not found any documentation on the Internet, so I asking you where I have to start. I learnt only C, and I have the basics of GTK library. Thanks for any reply. (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
22 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Books to learn UNIX Scripting from Scratch

Hi All, I am quite new to UNIX Scripting and want to learn it from scratch, a book which gives lot of examples, how to troubleshoot, how to run etc.. would be great. Need help from all the experts out there to suggest one book to start with. Regards, Vikas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_chengdu
4 Replies
FIFO(7) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   FIFO(7)

NAME
fifo - first-in first-out special file, named pipe DESCRIPTION
A FIFO special file (a named pipe) is similar to a pipe, except that it is accessed as part of the file system. It can be opened by multi- ple processes for reading or writing. When processes are exchanging data via the FIFO, the kernel passes all data internally without writ- ing it to the file system. Thus, the FIFO special file has no contents on the file system; the file system entry merely serves as a refer- ence point so that processes can access the pipe using a name in the file system. The kernel maintains exactly one pipe object for each FIFO special file that is opened by at least one process. The FIFO must be opened on both ends (reading and writing) before data can be passed. Normally, opening the FIFO blocks until the other end is opened also. A process can open a FIFO in nonblocking mode. In this case, opening for read only will succeed even if no-one has opened on the write side yet, opening for write only will fail with ENXIO (no such device or address) unless the other end has already been opened. Under Linux, opening a FIFO for read and write will succeed both in blocking and nonblocking mode. POSIX leaves this behavior undefined. This can be used to open a FIFO for writing while there are no readers available. A process that uses both ends of the connection in order to communicate with itself should be very careful to avoid deadlocks. NOTES
When a process tries to write to a FIFO that is not opened for read on the other side, the process is sent a SIGPIPE signal. FIFO special files can be created by mkfifo(3), and are indicated by ls -l with the file type 'p'. SEE ALSO
mkfifo(1), open(2), pipe(2), sigaction(2), signal(2), socketpair(2), mkfifo(3), pipe(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-12-03 FIFO(7)