Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: about crontab
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers about crontab Post 302102024 by matrixmadhan on Monday 8th of January 2007 02:24:45 AM
Old 01-08-2007
simplest could be
have date command output to stderr or stdout within the script

and redirect the output of the script to a file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab

Hi I have a shell script which works fine at the command line and does works in crontab also but does not send the output to mail as other scripts do by default. 10 1 * * * /export/home/test/report_script by default should send the output to mail but the script runs OK and the output... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab

How can I run "crontab" (parameters) every 6 hours on solaris machine? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gen4ik
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with crontab

i have a ksh script that creates messages in a temp directory and then sends them out using the sendmail command and i'm trying to set it up to run every night with crontab. So the basic gist of the script is #create temp dir and messages ... #loop through each message and send using sendmail... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob122480
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab

hi all how to schedule the crontab file in unix? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss4u
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Crontab

Hi All, I've a shell script which calls a Sybase stored procedure to do some functionality. I want to schedule the running of this script by crontab. I'm using Solaris 5.8. When i executed the following command crontab -l i got the output as crontab: can't open your crontab file How... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Crontab help

hi, I run a .sh file using crontab. I need to know the path of the file . Previously when I run the file alone , i used "pwd" but now when using crontab it gives the temp directory of the file. Is there any way I can find the absolute path of the file when i execute it ? Regards, Ranga (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_W213
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help regarding crontab

Dear All jobs are scheduled in crontab . To view this I use crontab -l . But suddenly today I am not able to see any jobs that is being scheduled in crontab. when I type crontab -l , I am seeing nothing.I am not logging through admin user(i dont have it).But I can schedule jobs through... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkbharani
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab

I have a crontab entry,but it is not working. Can anybody help me in this regard?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sourav_Paul
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

at vs crontab

Hi, can someone explain the differences between using the at and crontab commands. When would you use one command over the other? TIA Dom (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: domburf69
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me with crontab

Hi, I am working with oracle, and want to make a scheduler program by using cron job.. I've done with shell script that calls oracle stored procedure. It works. However, when I call the script through crontab, it is failed. :( Here is the error message: Cron: The previous message... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmard
2 Replies
ANNOTATE-OUTPUT(1)					      General Commands Manual						ANNOTATE-OUTPUT(1)

NAME
annotate-output - annotate program output with time and stream SYNOPSIS
annotate-output [options] program [args ...] DESCRIPTION
annotate-output will execute the specified program, while prepending every line with the current time and O for stdout and E for stderr. OPTIONS
+FORMAT Controls the timestamp format, as per date(1). Defaults to "%H:%M:%S". -h, --help Display a help message and exit successfully. EXAMPLE
$ annotate-output make 21:41:21 I: Started make 21:41:21 O: gcc -Wall program.c 21:43:18 E: program.c: Couldn't compile, and took me ages to find out 21:43:19 E: collect2: ld returned 1 exit status 21:43:19 E: make: *** [all] Error 1 21:43:19 I: Finished with exitcode 2 BUGS
Since stdout and stderr are processed in parallel, it can happen that some lines received on stdout will show up before later-printed stderr lines (and vice-versa). This is unfortunately very hard to fix with the current annotation strategy. A fix would involve switching to PTRACE'ing the process. Giving nice a (much) higher priority over the executed program could however cause this behaviour to show up less frequently. The program does not work as well when the output is not linewise. In particular, when an interactive program asks for input, the question might not be shown until after you have answered it. This will give the impression that the annotated program has hung, while it has not. SEE ALSO
date(1) SUPPORT
This program is community-supported (meaning: you'll need to fix it yourself). Patches are however appreciated, as is any feedback (posi- tive or negative). AUTHOR
annotate-output was written by Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> This manpage comes under the same copyright as annotate-output itself, read /usr/bin/annotate-output (or wherever you install it) for the details. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities ANNOTATE-OUTPUT(1)