Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how can i test my tape throughput in Mb/sec? Post 302101963 by sumitpandya on Saturday 6th of January 2007 06:11:16 AM
Old 01-06-2007
Nice to mention venor of OS

On my linux box "hdparm" works for HDD

[root@ba-dev-ind ~]# hdparm -t /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
Timing buffered disk reads: 58 MB in 3.08 seconds = 18.84 MB/sec
[root@ba-dev-ind ~]# hdparm -T /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
Timing cached reads: 416 MB in 2.01 seconds = 206.59 MB/sec

http://directory.fsf.org/sysadmin/conf/hdparm.html

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tool to monitor throughput

Was wonder if there was a tool or program I could run to measure throughput on our CentoS 4.x server. Our current dedicated host provider is charging us by how much throughput we are using and I just want to see if their numbers add up to whatever I get using a throughput tool of some kind. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcraul
6 Replies

2. IP Networking

Gigabit Link throughput

As a rule of thumb in doing calculations, what figure would you use in Mbytes/sec? I know the answer varies grealty on the topolgy of the network but I wonde what newteok engineers use a rough rule of thumb? Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: debd
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Network writes contantly spiking in throughput

Hey guys First post... and im not exactly a solaris guru but here goes Ive setup a solaris 10 box with a raidz2 set of 6 disks... I have also setup Samba with open shares for some CIFs access... now my issue is that when i transfer large files to it the network performance contantly... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: silicoon
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

6. IP Networking

How to improve throughput?

I have a 10Gbps network link connecting two machines A and B. I want to transfer 20GB data from A to B using TCP. With default setting, I can use 50% bandwidth. How to improve the throughput? Is there any way to make throughput as close to 10Gbps as possible? thanks~ :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewust
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Throughput problems with solaris aggregation

Hello gurus, I have the following configuration in the server side: # dladm show-aggr key: 33 (0x0021) policy: L4 address: 0:14:4f:6c:11:8 (auto) device address speed duplex link state nxge0 0:14:4f:6c:11:8 1000 Mbps ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FERCA
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

Issue with ns2 - no throughput data

Hello, First time poster here hoping to get some help with ns2. I've recently started using ns2(first time user) but I'm having difficulty getting the results I'm after. I am trying to set up a network with wireless nodes(5-15 nodes) and then use xgraph to display a timing diagram,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: UnicksMan
0 Replies

9. IP Networking

OID for Bandwith and Throughput Measurement

Hey Guys, Does anybody know, which OID's of Net-SNMP is used to collect throughput and bandwith usage of machine?? I got these OID's ..iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOutOctets ..1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: franzramadhan
1 Replies
st(1M)																	    st(1M)

NAME
st - shared tape administration SYNOPSIS
device_file DESCRIPTION
The command provides users with a command-line interface to check the status of a shared tape device or to reclaim a shared tape device from a host system that has failed while holding a reservation on the shared tape device. The command can also be used for the same pur- pose on shared library robotic devices. To use the command you must have root user id. Please see examples below for usage. Options recognizes the following options and arguments: Specifies the tape device file or sctl/esctl pass-through device file for the shared tape/library device. This parameter is mandatory and will report an error if device_file is omitted. Allows the user to reclaim a shared tape device or shared library robotic device in the case where a host failed while holding a reservation on the shared device. This option causes a bus device reset to be issued to the device specified by the option. Prints out the current status of the shared tape/library device specified by the option. RETURN VALUE
returns 0 upon successful completion and 1 otherwise. EXAMPLES
The following shows three examples of output from the above command. The above output indicates that the shared device is reserved by another host and is therefore unavailable at this time. The above output indicates that the shared device is not ready for use at this time. The above output indicates that the shared device is ready for use at this time. To reclaim a shared tape/library device from a failed host, the following command can be used: WARNINGS
The option must be used with care. When reclaiming devices, it must be ensured that the host from which the device is being reclaimed has in fact failed, as data may be lost as the result of reclaiming a device that is currently in use by another host. AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett-Packard. SEE ALSO
mt(1), scsi(7), scsi_ctl(7). st(1M)