Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Physical volume- no free physical partitions Post 302101939 by markper on Friday 5th of January 2007 05:54:34 PM
Old 01-05-2007
Physical volume- no free physical partitions

I was in smit, checking on disc space, etc. and it appears that one of our physical volumes that is part of a large volume group, has no free physical partitions. The server is running AIX 5.1. What would be the advisable step to take in this instance?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

physical volume and physical disk.

Hello, I need explanations about physical disks and physical volumes. What is the difference between these 2 things? In fact, i am trying to understand what the AIX lspv2command does. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
2 Replies

2. AIX

Basic Filesystem / Physical Volume / Logical Volume Check

Hi! Can anyone help me on how I can do a basic check on the Unix filesystems / physical volumes and logical volumes? What items should I check, like where do I look at in smit? Or are there commands that I should execute? I need to do this as I was informed by IBM that there seems to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to devide existing physical volume

hi guys, i`m trying to take 40GB of my sda5 (/home mounted) to create new volume group(lvc) here`s the df output: /dev/sda2 7,9G 3,3G 4,3G 44% / udevfs 5,0M 60K 5,0M 2% /dev shmfs 379M 0 379M 0% /dev/shm tmpfs 379M ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neverhood
2 Replies

4. AIX

Maximum Limit of HMC to handle Physical Power Virtualization Physical Machine

Hello All, Can anybody please tell me what is the maximum limit of Physical IBM Power Machine which can be handled by single HMC at a single point of time? Thanks, Jenish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jenish_shah
1 Replies

5. AIX

How to determine the physical volume fo the disks

This is the report I got running the comand rptconf, but I would like to know what is the capacity of the disks installed into our server power 6 with AIX System Model: IBM,7778-23X Machine Serial Number: 1066D5A Processor Type: PowerPC_POWER6 Processor Implementation Mode: POWER 6... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cucosss
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

importing a Physical Volume

hi guys I'm added a new disk to my server (virtual environment) It used to be a Volume Group=Vol_Group01 and Logical Volume= Log_Vol_01_Data and I see /dev/sdb Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table Disk /dev/sdc: 133.1 GB, 133143986176 bytes 255 heads, 63... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

8. Fedora

Need to incrwase PHYSICAL VOLUME space on hard drive with free space on it

Hi, I run Fedora 17. I created a physical volume of 30GB on a disk with 60GB of space so there is 30GB of free space. On the physical volume, I created my volume group and logical volumes. I assigned all the space in the physical volume to my volume group. I need to add the 30GB of free space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

9. AIX

Position of the logical volume on the physical volume

Hello everyone, I just read that while creating a logical volume(LV) we can choose the region of the physical volume (PV) in which the LV should be created. When I say region I mean: outer edge - outer middle - center - inner middle and inner edge. Can anyone help me understand the utility... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
11 Replies

10. Red Hat

Physical Volume Create Conundrum

I want to start by saying I already resolved my issue but I want to understand why I am seeing what I am seeing. I have a server with a RAID controller two 500GB drives and six 600GB drives. The two 500GB drives are mirrored and have the OS installed on them. The six 600GB they wanted set as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
4 Replies
VGIMPORT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       VGIMPORT(8)

NAME
vgimport - make volume groups known to the system SYNOPSIS
vgimport [-d|--debug] [-f|--force] [-h|--help] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName PhysicalVolumePath [PhysicalVolumePath...] DESCRIPTION
vgimport allows you to make a volume group known to the system which has previously been exported (see vgexport(8) ) on this or another system. OPTIONS -d, --debug Enables additional debugging output (if compiled with DEBUG). -f, --force Force import of volume group even though it is not flagged exported. This option allows the importing of volume groups from broken systems. -h, --help Print a usage message on standard output and exit successfully. -v, --verbose Display verbose runtime information about vgimport's activities. Examples "vgimport myvg /dev/sd[b-h]5" tries to make new volume group "myvg" known to the system. The previously exported volume group (see vgex- port(8) ) resides on disk partitions "/dev/sdb5" to "/dev/sdh5". DIAGNOSTICS
vgimport returns an exit code of 0 for success and > 0 for error: 1 no volume group name on command line 2 invalid volume group name 3 no physical volume(s) on command line 4 volume group already exists 5 physical volume occurs mutiple times on command line 6 invalid physical volume name 7 error reading physical volume 8 physical volume is not exported 9 error reallocating memory 10 error allocating memory 11 no valid physical volumes found 12 physical volume belongs to a different exported volume group 13 wrong number of physical volumes 14 error reading VGDA from disk(s) 15 VGDA is inconsistent 16 invalid logical volume count 17 error getting a free volume group number 18 error writing VGDA to physical volumes 19 error creating VGDA in kernel 20 error inserting volume group into lvmtab 21 error doing backup of VGDA to disk 22 error storing VGDA in lvmtab 23 not enough free logical volume manager block specials available 95 driver/module not in kernel 96 invalid I/O protocol version 97 error locking logical volume manager 98 invalid lvmtab (run vgscan(8)) 99 invalid command line Example "vgimport this_import /dev/sdk3 /dev/sdj4" tries to import a volume group contained on both partitions. The volume group this_import may not already exit. You have to specify all physical volumes belonging to the exported volume group. See also lvm(8), lvcreate(8) AUTHOR
Heinz Mauelshagen <Linux-LVM@Sistina.com> Heinz Mauelshagen LVM TOOLS VGIMPORT(8)