Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is the main difference between grep and sed Post 302101855 by blowtorch on Friday 5th of January 2007 03:08:47 AM
Old 01-05-2007
This is homework. Please don't post any homework questions. Against the rules.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Difference grep, egrep and fgrep

Hi All, Can anyone please explain me the difference between grep, egrep and fgrep with examples. I am new to unix environment.. Your help is highly appreciated. Regards, ravi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravind27
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between '.*' and .* in grep

Hi What is the difference between grep '.*' xx and grep .* xx? What grep .* xx command will do where xx is file name. Thanks Sas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between grep, egrep & grep -i

Hi All, Please i need to know the difference between grep, egrep & grep -i when used to serach through a file. My platform is SunOS 5.9 & i'm using the korn shell. Regards, - divroro12 - (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divroro12
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with SED + GREP

HI all, i have a line in a file it contains Code: one;two_1_10;two_2_10;two_3_10;three~ now i need to get the output as Code: one;two_1_abc_10;two_2_abc_10;two_3_abc_10;three~ ( 1 should be replaced with 1_abc for two__abc_10 , and one more thing the number of occurances of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2001.arun
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between 2 grep - commands

Hi, I need to know the difference between this commands: grep * *search* grep "*" *search* As far as i know does the 2nd command search for files which have a name with *search* and greps then all which have chars from a-z in the file content. But was does the first command?? Best... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xus
1 Replies

6. Programming

what is the main difference between difference between using nonatomic lseek and O_APPEND

I think both write at the end of the file ...... but is there a sharp difference between those 2 instruction ..... thank you this is my 3rd question today forgive me :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

7. Linux

sed and grep

I am stranded with a problem. Please solve. How will you remove blank lines from a file using sed and grep? ( blank line contains nothing or only white spaces). I run the below commands of sed and grep but grep isn't giving output as desired. Why? sed '/^*$/d' blank grep -v "^*$" blank... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep exact string from main string

Hi , am getting output file, it sontains the below values. ./hawk_DOM1_FIRST_ENV ./hawk_DOM2_SECOND_ENV ./hawk_DOM3_THIRD_ENV Now I need to grep the word "DOM1_FIRST_ENV","DOM2_SECOND_ENV" like that. I tired with cut -d "_". Its not working with any deleimiter. Can you please help to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckchelladurai
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between code page used with grep and vi

Not certain the title is phrased correctly but here's the issue: I need to scrape data out of a pdf file. I ftp the file from windows to unix(solaris 10) as a binary file. Open the file in vi and search for a string, Matrix, but no joy. Then I cat the same file, pipe it to grep 'Matrix' and the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rj0
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk usage to grep a pattern 1 and with reference to this grep a pattern 2 and pattern 3

Hi , I have a file where i have modifed certain things compared to original file . The difference of the original file and modified file is as follows. # diff mir_lex.c.modified mir_lex.c.orig 3209c3209 < if(yy_current_buffer -> yy_is_our_buffer == 0) { --- >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: breezevinay
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)