Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers not able to kill find with kill -9 Post 302101766 by andryk on Thursday 4th of January 2007 07:38:33 AM
Old 01-04-2007
One of 'many reasons' it cannot be killed right away is maybe the process is waiting for some I/O to complete ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

2. Programming

kill(0,-9) don't kill the process

Hi all i have simple c program , when i wish to kill the app im using kill(0,-9) , but it seams this command don't do any thing and the program. just ignore it . what im doing wrong here ? im using HP-UX ia64 Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

4. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

5. AIX

How to find out and kill all processes for a user?

Hi! We are using AIX 5.3. Can anyone please guide me to find out all the running processes for a specific user, say ' admin' and also kill them by force. Thanks! atech (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: atechcorp
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find a process by name and kill it

hi, Am a newbie to unix and wasnt able to write script to my requirement. I need a shell script, which should find a process by name and kill it. For eg: let the process name be "abc". I have different processes running by this name(abc), so should kill them all. Condition would be: if... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fop4658
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the Pid and Kill the Process after a Few Minutes

hi guys i had written a shell script Display Information of all the File Systems i want to find the pid and kill the process after few minutes.how can i obtain the pid and kill it??? sample.sh df -a >> /tmp/size.log and my cron to execute every minute every hour every day * *... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: azherkn3
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

Way to find source of a kill -9 in HP-UX

Hello Guys, Someone or, some tool has killed the application process with signal 9 (kill -9) . How to track that in HP-UX? On AIX we can use light-weight tool called ProbeVue to track it but not sure how to do it on HP-UX. Appreciate your help. Kelly Closed because this is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixusrsys
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Way to find source of a kill -9 in Solaris

Hello Guys, Someone or, some tool has killed the application process with signal 9 (kill -9) . How to track that in Solaris? On AIX we can use light-weight tool called ProbeVue to track it but not sure how to do it on Solaris. Appreciate your help. Kelly (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixusrsys
3 Replies
EXIT(2) 						      BSD System Calls Manual							   EXIT(2)

NAME
_exit -- terminate the calling process SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> void _exit(int status); DESCRIPTION
The _exit() function terminates a process, with the following consequences: o All of the descriptors that were open in the calling process are closed. This may entail delays; for example, waiting for output to drain. A process in this state may not be killed, as it is already dying. o If the parent process of the calling process has an outstanding wait call or catches the SIGCHLD signal, it is notified of the calling process's termination; the status is set as defined by wait(2). o The parent process-ID of all of the calling process's existing child processes are set to 1; the initialization process (see the DEFINI- TIONS section of intro(2)) inherits each of these processes. o If the termination of the process causes any process group to become orphaned (usually because the parents of all members of the group have now exited; see ``orphaned process group'' in intro(2)), and if any member of the orphaned group is stopped, the SIGHUP signal and the SIGCONT signal are sent to all members of the newly-orphaned process group. o If the process is a controlling process (see intro(2)), the SIGHUP signal is sent to the foreground process group of the controlling ter- minal. All current access to the controlling terminal is revoked. Most C programs call the library routine exit(3), which flushes buffers, closes streams, unlinks temporary files, etc., before calling _exit(). RETURN VALUE
_exit() can never return. SEE ALSO
fork(2), sigaction(2), wait(2), exit(3) STANDARDS
The _exit function is defined by IEEE Std 1003.1-1988 (``POSIX.1''). 4th Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4th Berkeley Distribution