Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cp doesnt work - Help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cp doesnt work - Help Post 302101751 by maheshwin on Thursday 4th of January 2007 05:32:29 AM
Old 01-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi.okelly
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>dd if=/file of=/file bs=4
dd: /file: open: No such file or directory
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>cat file > fil2
cat: cannot open file
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>

dd if=your source file of= your dest file bs=4

here source file full path u have to give, but here u will loose the total data of the file if u r giving the destination file name same

Last edited by maheshwin; 01-04-2007 at 07:13 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

why doesnt my script work!!!

Is there a utility or command I can use to tell the number of decimal places a number has. For instance, if the number is 432, it will give hundred as the number of decimal places. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heedunk
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cd.. doesnt work

hi when i want to go to previous directory by typing cd.. i get the following message $ cd.. ksh: cd..: not found Please help rintingtong (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rintingtong
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

ls command doesnt work

Good Day I mistakely renamed the dld.sl file in the /usr/lib directory. When i try to ls/ftp into the box i get this error :eek: crt0: ERROR couldn't open /usr/lib/dld.sl errno:000000002 I have tried to rename it back from the renamed file to the original file name, but it gives me the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shawnbishop
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

ldapsearch doesnt work.

Hii All, I am using openldap v2.3 on redhat El-4. When i run ldapsearch it returns all the entries. The command runs successfully. But when I run the ldapsearch with following filter option it doesnt work and immediately returns to the shell. ldapsearch uidNumber>=2000 I've started slapd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamik
0 Replies

5. AIX

Crontab file doesnt seem to work

Hi all. Could anyone explain me why this simple cron job doesnt work: % whoami system % crontab -l * * * * * /usr/bin/touch /home/system/foo (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsddaemon
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop doesnt work

It just does the break...even though the files are not the same... # Compare extracts #========================================== count=0 while (( count < 5 )) do (( count+=1 )) echo "Try $count" file1=$(ls -l /tmp/psjava.xml|... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sigh2010
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

compiler doesnt work

this is my file I have written. // My first C++ program #include <iostream> int main() { std::cout << "Hi there!" << std::endl"; std::cout << "This is my first C++ program" << std::endl"; return(0); } This is the error I get, why? $ g++ first.cpp ksh: g++: not found (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gustave
1 Replies

8. AIX

Vi doesnt work

Hi Guys, I have a strange problem.( AIX 6.1) "vi" is not working at all..Whenever i #vi <anythin> ,, it returns the prompt back. Any clues folks?? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: muzahed
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why doesnt it work?

I am trying to print out two fields in a file using awk. So, I have got awk -F '\t' 'NF = 2 {print $1 $2 "]"}' two.txt in a script called what.awk When i run this version like this - ./what.awk then it runs however I want to run the program like this awk -f what.awk two.txt. When I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: The undertaker
8 Replies

10. Red Hat

Beginner : sftp doesnt work

Hello, I really appreciate any help on this. Have to connect to external server via sftp. Our server is Linux machine Linux our.server.com 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jul 4 15:04:05 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I generated the keys, put them in /root/.ssh, sent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: billy5
3 Replies
uucp(1c)																  uucp(1c)

Name
       uucp, uulog, uuname - unix to unix copy

Syntax
       uucp [option...] source-file...	destination-file

uulog [option...]

uuname [option...]

Description
       The  command  copies  files  named by the source-file arguments to the destination-file argument.  A file name either may be a path name on
       your machine or may have the form

system-name!pathname

where `system-name' is taken from a list of system names which knows about.  Shell metacharacters ?*[] appearing in the pathname part  will
       be expanded on the appropriate system.

Pathnames  may  be  a  full  pathname, a pathname preceded by ~user, where user is a userid on the specified system and is replaced by that
       user's login directory, or anything else prefixed by the current directory.

If the result is an erroneous pathname for the remote system, the copy will fail.  If the destination-file is a directory, the last part of
       the  source-file  name is used.	If a simple ~user destination is inaccessible to data is copied to a spool directory and the user is noti-
       fied by

The command preserves execute permissions across the transmission and gives 0666 read and write permissions.  For further information, see

Options
       The following options are interpreted by

-d Creates all necessary directories for the file copy.

-c Uses the source file when copying out rather than copying the file to the spool directory.

-m Sends you mail when the copy is complete.

-nrec
	  Sends mail to the recipient.

-W Expands only local files.  Normally files names are prepended with the current working directory if a full path is not  specified.   The
	  -W tells to expand local files only.

The command prints a summary of and transactions that were recorded in the file

The options cause to print logging information:

-ssys
	  Displays information about work involving specified system.

-uuser
	  Displays information about work involving specified user.

The command lists the uucp names of known systems.

-l Lists local system name.

Warnings
       The  domain  of	remotely  accessible  files  can (and for obvious security reasons, usually should) be severely restricted.  You will very
       likely not be able to fetch files by pathname.  Ask a responsible person on the remote system to send them to you.  For the  same  reasons,
       you will probably not be able to send files to arbitrary pathnames.

Restrictions
       All files received by will be owned by uucp.
       The  -m	option	will  only work sending files or receiving a single file.  (Receiving multiple files specified by special shell characters
       ?*[] will not activate the -m option.)

Files
       /usr/spool/uucp - spool directory
       /usr/lib/uucp/* - other data and program files
       /etc/acucap - shared autodial modem database

See Also
       mail(1), uux(1c), acucap(5)
       "Uucp Implementation Description," ULTRIX Supplementary Documentation, Vol. III:System Manager

uucp(1c)