Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep and UNICODE (utf-16) file Post 302101658 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 3rd of January 2007 04:38:26 PM
Old 01-03-2007
See if you have iconv on your box - you can convert utf-16 to utf-8 which is searchable by grep. iconv should be there.
Code:
iconv -f UTF-16 -t UTF-8 myfile > temporary_file
grep '1 CHAR UNICODE' temporary_file

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to display unicode characters / unicode string

I have a stream of characters like "\u8BBE\u5907\u7BA1" and i want to display it. I tried following things already without any luck. 1) printf("%s",L("\u8BBE\u5907\u7BA1")); 2) printf("%lc",0x8BBE); 3) setlocale followed by fwide followed by wprintf 4) also changed the local manually... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackdorso
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Converting UTF-8 data to Unicode

How can I get an error when converting 3rd line, since it has invalid characters abcde a®cdée a�cd� Unicode for ® = ® é = é I used "iconv -f UTF-8 -t ISO-8859-15 in.txt > out.txt" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunbs
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unicode file validation

I don't want HTML_CONTENT,RICH_CONTENT,TEXT_CONTENT columns data in the file and reset of data we need to extract. Find the attached file. Need to extract date in between DI_UX_ROW_END tag. Can help me using unix command using AWK. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with UTF-8 BOM character in text file

Sometimes we recieve some excel files containing French/Japanese characters over the mail, and these files are manually transferred to the server by using SFTP (security is not a huge concern here). The data is changed to text format before transferring it using Notepad. Problem is: When saving... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[ask]unicode utf-8 for arabic font

hlow all, i want to read arabic font in cli (cat, vi ,etc) in windows i can see the for why in linux i can't see that. this for the example وَمَنْ يَشْكُرْ فَإِنَّمَا يَشْكُرُ لِنَفْسِهِ what should i do ? i need your advice for read that font in cli...:confused: thx before (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
0 Replies

6. Linux

Help to Convert file from UNIX UTF-8 to Windows UTF-16

Hi, I have tried to convert a UTF-8 file to windows UTF-16 format file as below from unix machine unix2dos < testing.txt | iconv -f UTF-8 -t UTF-16 > out.txt and i am getting some chinese characters as below which l opened the converted file on windows machine. LANG=en_US.UTF-8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a file with UTF char on UNIX server

Hi, I need to run a SQL which check for special UTF char in DB. When I try to copy that in UNIX file it changes it to some wierd chat. How can in retain the UTF chars in my script? e.g. ο|π|ρ|σ|τ|υ|φ|χ|ψ Any help will be appriciated. Thanks, (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun22486
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTF-8 file to ASCII/ISO8859-1 OR replace characters

I am trying to develop a script which will work on a source UTF-8 file and perform one or more of the following It will accept the target encoding as an argument e.g. US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1, etc 1. It should replace all occurrences of characters outside target character set by " " (space) or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemkiran.s
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create .nfo file in ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8

Hey guys, I have a little problem, Let's say I create this script : #!/bin/sh nfo_file="/home/admin/info.nfo" echo "▒▒█ Hello █▒▒" > $nfo_fileIt seems to be okay : cat /home/admin/info.nfo ▒▒█ Hello █▒▒file -bi /home/admin/info.nfo text/plain; charset=utf-8But when I open it in a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: antoinelomb
7 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)