Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Opening an mp3 with a different application Post 302101554 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 3rd of January 2007 02:39:26 AM
Old 01-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by emperorfabulous
I would like to know how to open an mp3 with an application other than it's default app. For instance, instead of opening with iTunes, I would like it to open with quicktime.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Sorry I dont understand your question properly.

.mp3 format is supported by both the apps you had mentioned.
Whats the question in that ?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting mp3

Hi all... Here's my question: -> considering i've got thousands of mp3s', named like "Artist name - Track Name", how could i write a shell (ksh, or bash my favorite, not knowinf enough any other language) that would create a directory (if not existing already) with the Artist's name, and move... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
3 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

osx mp3 player help

Hey UNIX Saviors, I am not very familiar with unix commands so I need some detailed help please. I have a RCA Lyra MP3 player that is supposed to work as a drag and drop external drive when transferring my MP3's. In OSX, the problem is that when I delete the MP3 from the mounted drive it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eideas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mp3 codec

I just need a mp3 codec that will decode mp3s so I can play them with my media player (probably going to be using XMMS) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synbios
0 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

How do I choose the application when opening a file in UNIX?

If I have a file in OSX (e.g. a pdf), I can choose how to open it i.e. with the "open with..." command from the 'right click menu'. Sometimes a pdf is garbled in OSX Preview so I need to open it in Adobe Acrobat. How do I choose the application when opening a file in UNIX? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mpeter
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron for windows, process is OK, but application is not opening

Dear All, I need a help. i have an mapped drive application. I want to start this application using cron. I have downloaded cron setup from the below link: www.kalab.com/freeware/cron/cron.htm And it crontab file works fine. But if i want to start an application. Then process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file is mp3

Hello, I am trying to check if a file is an mp3. file -b file_path g ives me AUDIO for many MP3 but there are many working MP3 files that return something else. How can I get better result? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCR
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I'm trying to remove all mp3's in subdirectories

My company has a policy that employees can't keep music on our servers so im looking for a line or script that I can run as part of a cron job that will remove all mp3's in the users home directories. Does anyone have any idea how I might accomplish this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
3 Replies
MU-EXTRACT(1)                                                 General Commands Manual                                                MU-EXTRACT(1)

NAME
mu_extract - display and save message parts (attachments), and open them with other tools. SYNOPSIS
mu extract [options] <file> mu extract [options] <file> <pattern> DESCRIPTION
mu extact is the mu sub-command for extracting MIME-parts (e.g., attachments) from mail messages. It works on message files, and does not require the message to be indexed in the database. For attachments, the file name used when saving it, is the name of the attachment in the message. If there is no such name, or when saving non-attachment MIME-parts, a name is derived from the message-id of the message. If you specify a pattern (a case-insensitive regular expression) as the second argument, all attachments with filenames matching that pat- tern will be extracted. The regular expressions are Perl-compatible (as per the PCRE-library). Without any options, mu extract simply outputs the list of leaf MIME-parts in the message. Only 'leaf' MIME-parts (including RFC822 attach- ments) are considered, multipart/* etc. are ignored. OPTIONS
-a, --save-attachments save all MIME-parts that look like attachments. --save-all save all non-multipart MIME-parts. --parts=<parts> only consider the following numbered parts (comma-separated list).The numbers for the parts can be seen from running mu extract without any options but only the message file. --target-dir=<dir> save the parts in the target directory rather than the current working directory. --overwrite overwrite existing files with the same name; by default overwriting is not allowed. --play Try to 'play' (open) the attachment with the default application for the particular file type. On MacOS, this uses the open program, on other platforms is uses xdg-open. You can choose a different program by setting the MU_PLAY_PROGRAM environment variable. EXAMPLES
To display information about all the MIME-parts in a message file: $ mu extract msgfile To extract MIME-part 3 and 4 from this message, overwriting existing files with the same name: $ mu extract --parts=3,4 --overwrite msgfile To extract all files ending in '.jpg' (case-insensitive): $ mu extract msgfile '.*.jpg' To extract an mp3-file, and play it in the the default mp3-playing application. $ mu extract --play msgfile 'whoopsididitagain.mp3' BUGS
Please report bugs if you find them: http://code.google.com/p/mu0/issues/list AUTHOR
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <djcb@djcbsoftware.nl> SEE ALSO
mu(1) User Manuals February 2012 MU-EXTRACT(1)