Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Top and Prstat display different results for memory Post 302101194 by Perderabo on Thursday 28th of December 2006 11:59:32 PM
Old 12-29-2006
Again, this means that 100% of the objects in virtual memory are also in physical memory. This does not mean that you have used 100% of physical memory. It means you had ALL of the physical memory that you are trying to use! Yes, you might some empty physical memory left over! prstat does not report anything about unused physical memory! You cannot use prstat to determine unused physical memory. prstat only sees physical memory in use. It cannot see unused physical memory.

Let's take an example... imagine a computer with 1024 Gigabytes of physical memory. You want to run one program that needs 1 gigabyte of memory. prstat sees that you are trying to use one gigabyte. prstat also sees that you managed to find one gigabyte to use. So it says that 100 % of virtual memory is in physical memory. What about the the other 1023 GB? prstat does not know about that. It is not claiming that the other 1023 GB is in use.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Can I Have Top Display The Top 20 Processes??

how can i do that in a script withough havin the script halt at the section where the top command is located. am writign a script that will send me the out put of unx commands if the load average of a machine goes beyond the recommended number. top -n 20 i want to save this output to a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. AIX

TOP Results AIX 5.3

With the exception of the Oracle processes can anyone telll me what these other AIX processes are???? 1032 root 16 21 20K 8K 0.0 slp 0:22+ 145:55 0.0/ 0.5 Kernel (lrud) 51178 root 39 21 20K 20K 0.0 slp 0:12+ 7:10 0.0/ 0.0 Kernel (aioserver) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

diff between prstat and top

what is the diff between prstat and top command in unix? can anyone tell me please? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

4. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

5. Solaris

100% memory usage in prstat

Hi Guys, I have observed the Oracle (DB USER) is utilizing 100% of the memory in the prstat -a output. I am bit confused is it normal and if not how to bring it down? ABout the machine it is a SunOS 5.10 Generic_125100-10 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200. Please see below output of prstat -a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display echo results in three column

Dear Friends, I have my command output which displays on one row and values are now scrollable (vertical) 3 pages. How do i display those output in three column so that i no need to scroll? Example: dcadd$cat components 1.Caluculator 2.Diary ... ... 50.Mobile 51.Battery .. ...... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
12 Replies

7. Solaris

Free memory in top and prstat command

Hi Export, i execute 'top' command to show the free memory in Solaris host, but the read is much lower than the RSS value shown in prstat command. Which one can reflect the real status and it is possible the difference caused by any patch of OS? Top command (only 883 memory is free)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eiga
3 Replies

8. Solaris

prstat RSS memory

Hi everyone, was hoping someone might be able to help me understand what I am seeing on one of our solaris systems. prstat -s size -a is showing user oradba as being top virtual memory consumption. 639 oradba 3012G 2951G 100% 59:44:01 25% why is it saying 3012G size and 2951G RSS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: k4boy
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to display some special results with AWK

I have a file like this: AAEQGAGNQPQH,,,,160,32,,,, AAGQDYNSPLH,,712,39,,,,,, AAGREGGNTEAF,26,,,,,,,,4 AAGSPQH,,,,8,5,,,, AAKKLGQFYNEQF,4,,6,,,7,,,2 AANSGGRYNEQF,,2747,3120,,,,,, AAQGGVGGELF,,,,5,,12,36,, AAQGLAGYYEQY,,25,13,,,,,, AAQRGNEQF,510,2,,,6,,6,,76 AAQTGENSPLH,,16,16,,,,,, The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format Top and prstat command output

need help with formatting output of command top and prstat. My requirment is to remove few columns and display remaining . But when i used awk to do that the output seems to be have gone vague, mixing the column values. After using awk to print particular column the output seems to have lost... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NarayanaPrakash
1 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)