Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Top and Prstat display different results for memory Post 302101191 by zen03 on Thursday 28th of December 2006 10:24:52 PM
Old 12-28-2006
Thanks for the reply. Apologies for the spaces but strangely though I did not remove any spaces. Could be because of the missing code tags. The results were copied and pasted from Putty.

It's misleading though, this 99%. I do have servers running at 100% memory from prstat results but still have abundant memory available.

prstat -t

Code:
 NPROC USERNAME  SIZE   RSS MEMORY      TIME  CPU
   540 oracle   1529G 1519G   100%  66:53.19  54%

Code:
Memory: 16G real, 7949M free, 8203M swap free

vmstat

Code:
 procs     memory            page            disk          faults      cpu
 r b w   swap  free  re  mf pi po fr de sr s6 s1 s1 s1   in   sy   cs us sy id
 0 0 0 17085024 8945808 1350 200 1475 1 1 0 0 0 0 0  0 1350 1674  274 24  5 71

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Can I Have Top Display The Top 20 Processes??

how can i do that in a script withough havin the script halt at the section where the top command is located. am writign a script that will send me the out put of unx commands if the load average of a machine goes beyond the recommended number. top -n 20 i want to save this output to a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. AIX

TOP Results AIX 5.3

With the exception of the Oracle processes can anyone telll me what these other AIX processes are???? 1032 root 16 21 20K 8K 0.0 slp 0:22+ 145:55 0.0/ 0.5 Kernel (lrud) 51178 root 39 21 20K 20K 0.0 slp 0:12+ 7:10 0.0/ 0.0 Kernel (aioserver) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

diff between prstat and top

what is the diff between prstat and top command in unix? can anyone tell me please? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

4. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

5. Solaris

100% memory usage in prstat

Hi Guys, I have observed the Oracle (DB USER) is utilizing 100% of the memory in the prstat -a output. I am bit confused is it normal and if not how to bring it down? ABout the machine it is a SunOS 5.10 Generic_125100-10 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200. Please see below output of prstat -a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display echo results in three column

Dear Friends, I have my command output which displays on one row and values are now scrollable (vertical) 3 pages. How do i display those output in three column so that i no need to scroll? Example: dcadd$cat components 1.Caluculator 2.Diary ... ... 50.Mobile 51.Battery .. ...... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
12 Replies

7. Solaris

Free memory in top and prstat command

Hi Export, i execute 'top' command to show the free memory in Solaris host, but the read is much lower than the RSS value shown in prstat command. Which one can reflect the real status and it is possible the difference caused by any patch of OS? Top command (only 883 memory is free)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eiga
3 Replies

8. Solaris

prstat RSS memory

Hi everyone, was hoping someone might be able to help me understand what I am seeing on one of our solaris systems. prstat -s size -a is showing user oradba as being top virtual memory consumption. 639 oradba 3012G 2951G 100% 59:44:01 25% why is it saying 3012G size and 2951G RSS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: k4boy
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to display some special results with AWK

I have a file like this: AAEQGAGNQPQH,,,,160,32,,,, AAGQDYNSPLH,,712,39,,,,,, AAGREGGNTEAF,26,,,,,,,,4 AAGSPQH,,,,8,5,,,, AAKKLGQFYNEQF,4,,6,,,7,,,2 AANSGGRYNEQF,,2747,3120,,,,,, AAQGGVGGELF,,,,5,,12,36,, AAQGLAGYYEQY,,25,13,,,,,, AAQRGNEQF,510,2,,,6,,6,,76 AAQTGENSPLH,,16,16,,,,,, The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format Top and prstat command output

need help with formatting output of command top and prstat. My requirment is to remove few columns and display remaining . But when i used awk to do that the output seems to be have gone vague, mixing the column values. After using awk to print particular column the output seems to have lost... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NarayanaPrakash
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)